Thread: A few Mitsubishi dealers near me closed

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

A few Mitsubishi dealers near me closed

So... this is odd. I'm in the Kitchener area of Ontario, Canada. Turns out the dealer here closed up at the end of last year. The dealer I would go to in the US to get the hot US prices closed too, in Hamburg, NY.

Is Mitsubishi cleaning up shop or something? The KW dealer was terrible, I actually ended up buying my Mirage 2 hours away in Scarborough because I hated them so much. The Hamburg dealership was fine, but their location was rather sketchy.

Just curious if maybe Nissan is shaking things up inside Mitsu and pushing dealers on the ropes out.

Anyways, this just leaves one dealer, Cambridge Mitsubishi that's reasonably close to me. Hope I don't need any warranty stuff done... I avoided buying there because the sales experience was super pressurized and I wasn't into that.

It would leave quite a vacuum in this area (serving around 1 million) if the Cambridge location goes pop. Hopefully they hold on.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.6 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    One near me closed not too long ago but I believe it was because they were not selling enough to keep going. I'm not aware of Mitsubishi's head office trying to reduce the number of dealers. I'm pretty sure they are trying to add dealers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    One near me closed not too long ago but I believe it was because they were not selling enough to keep going. I'm not aware of Mitsubishi's head office trying to reduce the number of dealers. I'm pretty sure they are trying to add dealers.

I think the plan in North America is to add 30 dealers, and improve existing ones. Although I think this article stated some dealers may just decide to sell.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2018...-north-america

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Two closed in Oregon last year which leaves the entire state with 1 (One) dealer. I'm hoping that someone opens up a new dealer somewhere else in the state so I don't have to make the 480 mile (770 km) round trip for my airbag sensor reprogramming recall.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Two closed in Oregon last year which leaves the entire state with 1 (One) dealer. I'm hoping that someone opens up a new dealer somewhere else in the state so I don't have to make the 480 mile (770 km) round trip for my airbag sensor reprogramming recall.
    Wow. Yeah, they have got to get that dealer network (with good customer service) set up if the truly want to recover market share. Its really not that hard. Be different (in a good way) and you will stand out. Think Saturn with better product.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

Dealerships & Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Wow. Yeah, they have got to get that dealer network (with good customer service) set up if the truly want to recover market share. Its really not that hard. Be different (in a good way) and you will stand out. Think Saturn with better product.
    I totally agree! I think Mitsubishi could do a better job of marketing their products, because their products are a good value. Mitsubishi may or may not offer the best vehicle in any given category, but they do compete for the best value in any given category. Wise consumers should want affordable, reliable, & efficient transportation.

In many ways, the Mirage, Outlander, and Outlander Sport could be or are those vehicles. For the money, they are nice vehicles. The Mirage seems unique to us, because it wasn’t originally designed for the U.S. market. I hope the U.S. market doesn’t ruin the Mirage. I would hate to see the Mirage evolve into something it wasn’t originally designed for. Those cars already exist. We don’t need more of them.

While shopping for a Mirage, it became apparent to me that Mitsubishi dealerships have a lot freedom in how they do business. Trying to compare apple to apples on such a simple vehicle like the Mirage was way more difficult than it should have been. Mitsubishi dealerships were all over the place in pricing. It was a real turn off for me! Someone like my dad would never buy a Mitsubishi product for that reason alone. From my limited experience, I felt some dealerships are giving Mitsubishi a black eye.

The Mirage should be sold as $8,500 to $13,000 vehicle, because that is what it is. Like the Chevy Spark, manual transmissions should be standard for all trim levels. The Mirage gets compared to higher price cars, because it’s priced that way. Change that! Offer a truly affordable, reliable, & super economical car that is priced way below anything else out there. Eliminate the rebates and other incentives that confuse everyone. Rather than take on the competition create your own market with vehicles. Let the critics rip on what the car doesn’t have. That only makes them look more foolish. A $10,000 car shouldn’t have what a $20,000 car has, especially if that $10,000 car is a quality vehicle that is going to be dependable for years to come. Adding more junk (sorry meant options) to a car model doesn’t make it a better car.

Not everyone may agree with what I am saying here, but my point is Mitsubishi could do a much better job of marketing vehicles. It would be one way of controlling their dealerships better, too. Some of their present practices are hurting dealerships. If you offer the best incentives to only your high volume dealers, how do the smaller dealerships getting started make it? They don’t, & some of you are seeing the result of that.

I really like my Mirage, & I am very happy with the dealership I purchased my Mirage from. Sadly, that dealership is over 200 miles from my home.

I wanted to buy more locally (which was 65 miles away for me), but just visiting their website and checking their inventory was an instant turn off to me. It’s really that bad in my eyes. Yet, I want them to remain in business. I want them to get better. Heck, I even used them to test drive a 2018 Mirage. Thankfully, others are willing to overlook some of their practices, & they are also selling cars. I am seeing the results of that in my hometown, because more and more Mitsubishi vehicles are appearing. They have even outgrown their former facility. Despite all that, they could be so much better. They don’t advertise on sites like cars.com and autotrader.com any more. There’s a reason for that. Consumers can rate/review dealerships there. Their prices don’t compete & the poor reviews would scare customers away. Thus, this dealership avoids these sites. Honestly, getting a bottom line price from them was a real chore. It shouldn’t be that way. Mitsubishi could do a better job of controlling this.

I wouldn’t take on what already exists in the U.S. market, because it’s pretty competitive. If Mitsubishi offered a somewhat basic, cheap, dependable small pickup for example, what would be their competition in the U.S. market? If the Mirage became an $8,500 - $13,000 car, what would be its competition? By the way, the Mirage can be bought somewhere within that price range easily. You wouldn’t know that reading most professional auto reviews.

I like Mitsubishi, because they brought the Mirage to the U.S. market. Be bold! Be different for a change! Be a dealership that offers free classes on how to drive a manual transmission. When you graduate, you get a nice discount on a new car. Hook young buyers, because they become your future buyers. The Mirage could be that car in many ways. Young Mirage buyers may become future Outlander/Outlander Sport buyers some day. They start families, & their needs grow. I’ve even come full circle. My kids are grown and gone now. Most of my driving is just myself, & the Mirage is perfect for that.

U.S. vehicles have become boring. Almost all small to mid-size SUV/crossovers look somewhat the same. From the side, it’s hard to tell one from the other. The new Eclipse Cross doesn’t really excite me, because there are a number of vehicles already a part of the U.S. market like it. It seems more like an effort to be like everyone else to me. If you’re interested in one, I am not knocking it at all. It just doesn’t excite me. Something more unique to the U.S. market would excite me.

Some of the latest offerings of crossovers are starting to look like sporty jacked up station wagons/hatchbacks. Maybe things are meant to come full circle?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

anog (04-10-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    The dealership where I bought mine here in Olympia, Washington didn't close. It just stopped selling/servicing Mitsubishis to make more room on the lot for overpriced Chrysler and Jeep garbage. Same difference, I guess...

Picture from the public road out in front of my former Mitsubishi dealership, taken shortly after I bought my Mirage. I think I was taking it in for the 'footwell airbag wiring recall'.

A person has to be REALLY pissed to do this to a new $35,000 rig, eh?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

anog (04-10-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shepd View Post
    The dealer I would go to in the US to get the hot US prices closed too, in Hamburg, NY.
    Hamburg Mitsubishi was my local dealership. It just reopened with new ownership, now called "James Mitsubishi Hamburg". The last time I was there (rear axle replaced) I heard one of the employees saying that it should be renamed to Hamburg Service Department, apparently they weren't moving many cars. The new owner is offering $4k for any trade-in.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by anog View Post
    Hamburg Mitsubishi was my local dealership. It just reopened with new ownership, now called "James Mitsubishi Hamburg". The last time I was there (rear axle replaced) I heard one of the employees saying that it should be renamed to Hamburg Service Department, apparently they weren't moving many cars. The new owner is offering $4k for any trade-in.
    James Provenzano has the most annoying radio ads! Lol

Rochester, NY: at least we still have two Mitsubishi dealerships!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Angrybeaver For This Useful Post:

anog (04-11-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shepd View Post
    So... this is odd. I'm in the Kitchener area of Ontario, Canada. Turns out the dealer here closed up at the end of last year. The dealer I would go to in the US to get the hot US prices closed too, in Hamburg, NY.

Is Mitsubishi cleaning up shop or something? The KW dealer was terrible, I actually ended up buying my Mirage 2 hours away in Scarborough because I hated them so much. The Hamburg dealership was fine, but their location was rather sketchy.

Just curious if maybe Nissan is shaking things up inside Mitsu and pushing dealers on the ropes out.

Anyways, this just leaves one dealer, Cambridge Mitsubishi that's reasonably close to me. Hope I don't need any warranty stuff done... I avoided buying there because the sales experience was super pressurized and I wasn't into that.

It would leave quite a vacuum in this area (serving around 1 million) if the Cambridge location goes pop. Hopefully they hold on.
    There's Mountain Mitsu in Hamilton, which must be closer than Scarberia for you.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)