Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mirage turbo 1.1, 1.2L or 1.0L for the U.S.? Some recent chatter from Mitsu execs

I haven't seen any carefully documented fuel economy gains from just adding a turbo. Generally, the automaker's turbo/efficiency approach as you say is through downsizing the engine, and/or going with numerically lower gearing.

On the gearing: I actually swapped in a taller (numerically smaller) final drive ratio in my 1.0L Metro/Firefly. Fuel economy improved 5% at 80 km/h (~50 mph). Acceleration suffered, but I don't mind. Theoretically, I could have put a small turbo on it to re-gain the acceleration, and when staying out of boost also preserve the MPG gain.

Mitsu could offer a turbo 1.0 with taller gearing than the 1.2 which would outperform the 1.2 in both acceleration & fuel economy.

(Then the speed fanatics could swap their taller trans with the shorter 1.2L economy fanatics trans and everybody's happy. )

It's fun to speculate.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'd be happy for a turbo model but at the same time i'd feel so robbed after buying a regular model and a year later a engine I much rather have. I'd also prefer to have a 6 speed manual for a turbo car. 120hp would be amazingly nice however I dont really wanna sacrifice mpg and I already have a evo 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Clessy View Post
    but at the same time i'd feel so robbed after buying a regular model and a year later a engine I much rather have.
    I hear you. But that would be par for the course as far as product development & marketing goes. Think how many people who bought a Fiesta SFE (fuel economy version) in the last year or two who would have gotten the 1.0T instead if they could have! I can almost hear the "grrrrr's".

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I hear you. But that would be par for the course as far as product development & marketing goes. Think how many people who bought a Fiesta SFE (fuel economy version) in the last year or two who would have gotten the 1.0T instead if they could have! I can almost hear the "grrrrr's".
    My mother is one of those shes has a 2011 fiesta ses. Get around 38mpg on average. The problem with the new fiesta se with 1.0t is is options. It only comes on that lower trim the se and you cant have many features at all.

On hers she literally choose the highest stacked out option one on the lot. Heated leather, sync, interior coloring changing messs yadda yadda. She absolutely hate how the 1.0t doesnt offer heated leather seats.

Not to mention the Fiesta 1.0t only comes with a manual.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Ah i c ... I won't buy anymore fiestas ... aside from the amazingly good engine and superb handling and seating, that car suck. Low mpg, i can only manage 14L/KM out of it (on 1.25L engine it's hard to believe), hard to measure brakes (only a few mm distance from soft braking to hard braking). No in- and out handle to help lift yourself to get in and out of the car, closing door handle is way too far to the front.
    I would love to check the Mazda 2 though ...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Don't forget the part where you feel like you're sitting in a damn spaceship and none of the radio or control buttons are where they should be - and one button for lock and unlock. So. Annoying.

latest chatter: 1.1L Mirage turbo for 2019

Mitsu held a U.S. dealer meeting last week.

Talk turned to turbochargers in general for the entire line-up, including this nugget about the Mirage:

Mitsubishi executives said the company is considering a turbocharged 1.1-liter engine for the next generation of the Mirage and Mirage G4 subcompact cars ... scheduled to hit the market around 2019.
    Source: http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...charged-future

Via: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...blown-engines/

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

91cavgt (04-07-2016),Daox (04-04-2016),inuvik (04-04-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Mitsu held a U.S. dealer meeting last week.

Talk turned to turbochargers in general for the entire line-up, including this nugget about the Mirage:

Source: http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...charged-future

Via: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...blown-engines/
    Interesting, the 3A91 has a little shorter stroke than the 3A92 so it might be the sweet spot for a turbo. Looking at the specs for the 3A91 it shows torque peak at 3500 rpm.
    Last edited by inuvik; 04-04-2016 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Additional info

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-13-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I haven't seen any carefully documented fuel economy gains from just adding a turbo. Generally, the automaker's turbo/efficiency approach as you say is through downsizing the engine, and/or going with numerically lower gearing.

On the gearing: I actually swapped in a taller (numerically smaller) final drive ratio in my 1.0L Metro/Firefly. Fuel economy improved 5% at 80 km/h (~50 mph). Acceleration suffered, but I don't mind. Theoretically, I could have put a small turbo on it to re-gain the acceleration, and when staying out of boost also preserve the MPG gain.

Mitsu could offer a turbo 1.0 with taller gearing than the 1.2 which would outperform the 1.2 in both acceleration & fuel economy.

(Then the speed fanatics could swap their taller trans with the shorter 1.2L economy fanatics trans and everybody's happy. )

It's fun to speculate.
    Bring back the Twin Stick!!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-04-2016),poorman1 (09-03-2017)