Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ABS/Traction Control lights

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

ABS/Traction Control lights

I have a 2014 Mirage. Last night my abs and traction control dash lights came on and haven't got off. The car is running okay and the brakes are good any suggestions?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    You are going to need to have the error codes read from the computer. You could try a place like AutoZone who will do it for free, but normally ABS codes are not part of the generic OBDII codes that most inexpensive code readers can detect. But it won't hurt to ask.

This is a wild guess...but the most common issue that would cause both of those lights to come on is a bad wheel speed sensor. If the computer can't tell how fast each wheel is turning, then ABS and traction control cannot function properly.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Check your sensor connectors, especially at the rear axle Dennisrshelby. If I recall correctly Fummins found some problems with corrosion back there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I found the thread I had in mind:

Check engine light P0498 (Evap wiring issue & soluton -- check yours)

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    First off I don't want anyone to think this is a normal problem.
    I just had a car come in the shop with a check engine light. P0498 Evap valve circuit. The wires at the lh rear of the car are broken where they go up behind the bumper cover. Easy fix, I didn't bother taking to the dealer. I used a few layers of shrink tubing and wrapped the wires in thick rubber hose to prevent this from happening again. I highly doubt this would be a problem for most other people as this car seems to be driven places most people wouldn't take their cars. The car only has 18000kms on it. I'll post pics when I get a chance.

Oh and to clear the check engine light, I didn't bother using a scanner. I just started and shut off the car 5-6 times and the light went out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    No, it's from being blasted with crap from back roads. The plastic coating on the e-brake cables is completely gone where they go into the backing plates. The little plates that bolt to the bottom of the trailing axle below the shocks are getting hammered too.
    Be sure to look at that thread for yourself. Fummins has generously posted lots of photos. Though the problem he describes is for a different set of symptoms, I have to wonder if your problem is somehow related.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Check what code/s you have first. No sense wasting time looking at one corner of the car while the problem is on the other. It's likely a bad wheel speed sensor like topfuel said. They are the most common problem for the abs light to come on though I've never had to change one on a Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  20200508_223404.jpg
Views: 6225
Size:  97.7 KB

Abs and traction lights came on.
    I stopped at O'Reilly's and AutoZone but the scanners they have won't read those codes.
    Any suggestions for reading them without spending?
    If I have to spend money suggestions on a reader to buy?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 36.7 mpg (US) ... 15.6 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Avgjohndoe View Post
    Name:  20200508_223404.jpg
Views: 6225
Size:  97.7 KB

Abs and traction lights came on.
    I stopped at O'Reilly's and AutoZone but the scanners they have won't read those codes.
    Any suggestions for reading them without spending?
    If I have to spend money suggestions on a reader to buy?
    Check the electrical connectors behind your kick panel very carefully for signs of corrosion. It is a common cause of these problems. I would suspect your job as pizza delivery might possibly lead to more moisture making it's way on those connectors than an average Mirage owner, but I could be wrong.

What he said. Looks like your airbag light is on too. Unless you have a grand or so to throw around for a scanner I'd just take it to a shop. Any legitimate shop should own a decent scan tool.

One other place to check for the abs problem is the wires going to the rear sensors under the car. I've had at least one car have the wires worn through. If there is an abs problem you'll usually throw the traction control and brake lights on as well. The wires are ran differently on a 2014 than 2015-newer. So I'm not sure if the parts would interchange. It's just two wires anyways and are easy to splice if that is the problem.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So I tried what I thought would be the easiest thing to do and called all the dealers in the area and there was one that sounded professional and courteous in Houma. I had a List of recall work that needed to be done.
    They did some stuff but not really sure they did all they said.
    Going back through and checking the work I can.
    To keep on thread topic;

The kick panel in question, is that the panel the hood latch is located on?

Secondly has anyone found a decent price on those speed sensors, like maybe not $100 for the D��� thing?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 36.7 mpg (US) ... 15.6 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The break light was on in the previous pic because I tend to pull the e break when I park. Habit.
    A lot of these subdivision home drive ways are on a steep incline, due to a pad built for the home, for flood levels.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Avgjohndoe; 06-04-2020 at 08:25 PM.