Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cheapest to own

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    No doubt. Guys...if you have any assets at all, pony-up for better coverage. When you t-bone a Tesla tomorrow and your $25K of coverage is paid out to cover $50K of damages, guess who's going to get sued for the difference? If you live in your parent's basement and your only asset is your iPhone, you may be OK. But if you've got equity in a house, savings, etc...then talk to your insurance agent about more substantial coverage.
    Especially in L.A. where the streets are filled with 50k plus dollar cars leveraged to the hilt by ppl who have no business in a 50k plus dollar car!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Especially in L.A. where the streets are filled with 50k plus dollar cars leveraged to the hilt by ppl who have no business in a 50k plus dollar car!
    Absolutely. About 7-8 years ago, I was a renter. But I still had 100/300/100 insurance coverage. Way more than I thought I needed. Was sure glad I had it when that old man walked out in front of me and I hit him.

Cost my insurance company over $100,000. You don't think it's going to happen to you until it happens to you.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Absolutely. About 7-8 years ago, I was a renter. But I still had 100/300/100 insurance coverage. Way more than I thought I needed. Was sure glad I had it when that old man walked out in front of me and I hit him.

Cost my insurance company over $100,000. You don't think it's going to happen to you until it happens to you.

You guys have really good sales men at the insurance office! How much did you pay for that 100/300/100?
    mitsu's in the family

2024 Mirage SE

2021 Mirage ES CVT (Sold)
    2021 Outlander Sport 2.0 ES CVT (trade in)
    2018 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT (ex wife's car, crashed)
    2017 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT Smartphone Link Display Audio (SDA) System(Crashed)
    2015 Lancer SE 2.4 AWC (sold)
    2014 Mirage DE 1.2 Manual and BT (sold)
    2004 Galant DE (mom's sold)
    2000 Mirage DE 1.8 Auto (sold)
    1988 Cordia L Turbo (trade in)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by remusrm View Post
    You guys have really good sales men at the insurance office! How much did you pay for that 100/300/100?
    No, we just explained why it's better to be properly insured.
    My mirage is 268 every 6mo with those coverages.

It doesn't add an enormous amount to your premium.

When I was younger I was more likely to go with low coverages though as the premiums were more due to younger age.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    How much did you pay for that 100/300/100?
    I'll quote an LA Times article on the subject...

Interestingly, it doesn't cost all that much more to dramatically increase coverage. Boosting liability coverage from the state's minimums to $100,000 per person for bodily injury, $300,000 per accident and $50,000 property damage--or about 10 times the state minimum--would add about $200 to the average annual premium, according to State Farm actuaries.
    Source: Low-Liability Auto Coverage Is a Good Deal--if You Don't Have Much to Lose

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    We recently had the insurance discussion in our household the cars are cheap to run, fuel, etc. The insurance is higher for decent coverage. Personally reliability and warranty are more important to us and we are willing to pay a little more in insurance in trade to have reliable vehicles and like I posted elsewhere on the forum the cars are easily totaled and that is one of the reasons insurance is higher. I can speak from experience driving around in a perfect vehicle that another person ruined that crashed into you once they are repaired they are never the same.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Why is a Mirage insurance higher than for other vehicles?

AFAIK in the Netherlands only the weight of a vehicle is important for the insurance rates. As the Mirage is light, it is also cheap to insure. I pay €170 a year for civil liability (inc taxes). Don't know the exact coverage, but the legal minimum is 1million/5million/1million.
    If my insurance can supply that for that price, why can't an US insurance do the same?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    Why is a Mirage insurance higher than for other vehicles?

AFAIK in the Netherlands only the weight of a vehicle is important for the insurance rates. As the Mirage is light, it is also cheap to insure. I pay €170 a year for civil liability (inc taxes). Don't know the exact coverage, but the legal minimum is 1million/5million/1million.
    If my insurance can supply that for that price, why can't an US insurance do the same?
    Lol that's a whole different discussion.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

emdeplam (04-19-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    small? CA is 15/30 min.
    My province used to have uninsured motorist for about $16/year. The province would pay out on your behalf the first $15k. You had to pay them back.

It's retarded that I need 200k minimum on a motorbike, yes I might hit a pedestrian but fast enugh and I'll be toast too.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)