Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Future of Sedans and Hatch's in the US where Mitsu is going

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    I read something a while ago stating something near $70.00/hr incl wages, perks, benefits, ins, etc. per employee
    I found this statistic interesting, so I looked it up. It turns out that the automakers quoted figures that included not just base pay & benefits to active workers but pension payments to retirees - a bit misleading. Also, this is old news. It was before the Great Recession which started more than ten years ago. Since then union workers have taken a cut in pay.

Houston Chronicle: The Average Pay for an Auto Workers' Union Member

FactCheck.org: Auto Worker Salaries

It makes me wonder if the workers at the Laem Chabang factory get a living wage with safe working conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    What I really need is a vehicle that gets good fuel economy, will tow 3500 to 5500 lbs and costs no more than $35,000.00. I can drive it every day and still move a camper or atv without the purchase of a $60,000.00 gas guzzling truck.
    You just described a Jeep.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    They are losing money by building those slow-selling $15,000-$20,000 cars in a factory that could be used to produce $50,000 pickup trucks...which they can't build fast enough to keep up with demand. I'll bet this is what they meant by 'losing money'.
    Yep, Just like I'm losing $1m/yearly because Harvard wouldn't accept me in their medical school. LOL LOL.

Or, Or, Ford could claim they're losing $475,000/car because the ONLY car they should be selling is the new style Gt!!!

hahahahahaha
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (04-30-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post

You just described a Jeep.
    Which jeep? A grand cherokee with a V6 only get's 20us mpg and they start at $40k here. Seems like with all the new emissions crap, vehicles are putting out less "harmful emissions" but are now using more fuel. Kinda counter productive. Seems that way for diesel pickups at least, many people pull the particulate filters off and are able to get noticeable increases in mileage.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Jeep Wrangler.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-30-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    And I can't really prove it but I believe the fuel economy is being affected by the way car manufacturers manage fuel trim in order to keep today's catalytic converters working their best. I guess they need oxygen to operate. Running lean adds oxygen & running rich uses oxygen stores - I think...

Walker Exhaust Systems: Evolution of the Catalytic Converter

I'll bet Fummins & Top_Fuel understands this and can explain it way better.