Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Future of Sedans and Hatch's in the US where Mitsu is going

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Future of Sedans and Hatch's in the US where Mitsu is going

Someone who works in the auto industry that is not related to Mitsu or Nissan speculated to me they think Mitsubishi down the road will only make trucks and suvs in the first world countries and would continue making cars in association with Nissan for third world countries.

This guy told me to look up about the future Lancer... I did find an article.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mitsubi...as-a-crossover

I don't know what to think except I hope Mitsu continues making a basic, reliable vehicle. He's going on the fact everyone is in the CUV/truck/suv phase and how cars in general are not selling compared to the boom. He feels mitsu if they want to increase market share in the US would have to build what people want.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Price of gas just hit 141.9 ct/L here so cars are about to outsell trucks again. (141.9 ct/L = $6.44/Imp gal or $5.68/US gal).
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just read that article (Lancer CUV) as well. As much as I disagree with the Lancer CUV, it makes sense in a marketing view. Because people aren't going to purchase something they're not familiar with. Yes, WE know but I'd say 99% of the driving population won't know what a Nissan Skyline or a Lancer Evolution 1 looks like.

It's a bummer to see but people have to realize that PHEVs are becoming the norm within 5-10 years. Mitsubishi is just trying to jump on the trend more quickly. I'd get the Outlander PHEV. Would save humungous money on gas as most of my commute/errands are all under a 50 mile range.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Mazda dropped plans to bring the 2 to the States & Canada.

GM is dropping the Spark & Sonic to do a crossover.

Ford is dropping the Fiesta for the Ecosport.

Chrysler dropped the Dart & 200.

But some manufacturers will stick it out through thick & thin, and keep compact & subcompact cars in their line-ups. Honda & Toyota for sure. Surely Mitsubishi's dealers would scream if the company dropped the Mirage in North America, if only because they have so few other models to sell. The car is still worth having around ... for now.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Turns out Ford is dropping ALL their cars in the U.S. except for the Mustang and a slightly lifted Focus:

https://jalopnik.com/ford-will-phase...ica-1825544784

I hope Mitsu keeps the Mirage around to take a larger piece of the shrinking small car pie...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Daox (04-26-2018),Fummins (04-26-2018),Top_Fuel (04-26-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Ford will offer incentives like they pay for your first year of gas! and they will set sales records for 4x4 F-150s. Just watch and see.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Turns out Ford is dropping ALL their cars in the U.S. except for the Mustang and a slightly lifted Focus:

I hope Mitsu keeps the Mirage around to take a larger piece of the shrinking small car pie...
    Ford's Fusion is the police interceptor that replaced the Crown Victoria when it was killed off. I gather a lot of Fusion PI are sold in NA. Police won't be happy about this.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

Ford's Fusion is the police interceptor that replaced the Crown Victoria when it was killed off. I gather a lot of Fusion PI are sold in NA. Police won't be happy about this.

Article also says Ford loses money on all Fiesta/Focus. I call BS. If Ford is losing money on a Fiesta they sell for $27,000 they shouldn't be in the business of making cars. Same when I see loaded Focus for close to $30k.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-26-2018),poorman1 (04-26-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Article also says Ford loses money on all Fiesta/Focus. I call BS. If Ford is losing money on a Fiesta they sell for $27,000 they shouldn't be in the business of making cars. Same when I see loaded Focus for close to $30k.
    They are losing money by building those slow-selling $15,000-$20,000 cars in a factory that could be used to produce $50,000 pickup trucks...which they can't build fast enough to keep up with demand. I'll bet this is what they meant by 'losing money'.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-26-2018),Marklovski (04-26-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    In my little city, ALL the new police vehicles I've seen lately have been SUV's.