Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mirage vs G4...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,377 Times in 998 Posts

Mirage vs G4...

I hope this is not duplicated, but I didn't find what I was looking for when searching.

The question is, apples to apples, i.e. automatic vs automatic, or manual vs manual, same equipment, and assuming all the same driving conditions ... which vehicle would get better mpg? The Mirage (5 door) or the G4?

I would think the sedan body of the G4 would, but from what I have read so far, it seems the 5 door yields a bit better mpg.

Thanks!

7milesout

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Going by the specs on Mitsubishicars.com, I'd guess the hatchback. It's shorter and weighs about 100lbs less. Not sure which one is more aerodynamic? The actual difference might not even be noticeable.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Good question.

It's going to be a tiny difference either way. (The EPA ratings are the same.)

I'd say the hatch will get fractionally better city fuel economy for having lighter weight. The sedan may be a tiny bit better on the highway if it has better aero (it should).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    The bottom line is you shouldn't be choosing between a G4 and hatch because of fuel economy. Make sure you look them over carefully and decide which one fits your needs better. The G4 may be at a serious cargo-carrying disadvantage because of the lack of folding rear seat and pass-through to the trunk.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

^ that's a fuel-saving feature, not a bug!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,377 Times in 998 Posts
    MetroMPG - I think you are spot on. It's what I would have guessed, as I have automotive engineering background. And, even the data I've managed to find using data like fuelly. Seems to support that.

The next question is: Which is better as an every day car? The hatch or the sedan. I've always been a sedan kind of guy. And the sedan has more room in the rear seat. However, the hatch with the rear seat folded has some serious capacity.

I was thinking of trying the hatch. But I keep my cars long term. Didn't want to own the wrong car for 10 years.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    The fuel economy gains of the sedan's body design might be negated by it's additional weight.

Take one for a test drive. I understand the Mirage can be found as a rental - take a week to see if it's right for you.

Drive what you like.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    The next question is: Which is better as an every day car? The hatch or the sedan.
    My personal opinion... If the rear seat in the sedan doesn't fold down and there's no pass-through to the trunk, that would be a deal-killer for me. My last car was a small sedan (Pontiac G5/Chevy Cobalt) but the rear seat folded down and there was easy access to the trunk. I used that feature fairly often.

There's no sales figures to know for sure, but based on what I see at my local dealers, the hatch outsells the sedan by something like 4:1.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post

The next question is: Which is better as an every day car? The hatch or the sedan. I've always been a sedan kind of guy. And the sedan has more room in the rear seat. However, the hatch with the rear seat folded has some serious capacity.
    Well, if you ever hauled anything in your previous vehicles then review this thread:

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...-G4-Space-Star

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The hatch has that rear spoiler on the hatch that goes a long way toward improving aero. Probably makes the difference in aero between the two cars very little. They're both going to have smooth underbodies and wheel spats and pseudo splitters. Lots of good aero stuff.

The hatch is a little lighter, but not a lot. As stated, I think it comes down to which better suits your needs. (unless you're like me and into motorsports, then weight is king!)

Another consideration: Everything said above that makes the sedan terrible for cargo capacity... probably reduces noise from the back end of the car. Exhaust (minimal), tire noise, things like that. The hatch just has a thin plastic cargo cover between you and the rear suspension. The sedan probably has a little bit more than that.

But, and the hatch is sleek and sexy. You just don't get that with the sedan. (I'm kidding... sort of)

Simplify and add lightness.