Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wont Start (with video) -- Solved: dead battery

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

Unhappy Wont Start (with video) -- Solved: dead battery

Can anybody help?

I left the car 2 days unused and when i tried to start it up this morning here's whats happened.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    not sure why?

i pressed, depressed the clutch, opened the gas cover still same.

not sure if its the battery voltage?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    The engine cranks to a slow and won't start?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    not sure why?

i pressed, depressed the clutch, opened the gas cover still same.

I would try starting it with jumper cables first. If it starts, it may mean your battery is bad.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I would try starting it with jumper cables first. If it starts, it may mean your battery is bad.
    Agreed.. dead battery. Jump and drive. Possibly left something on?
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    I view things like this as an opportunity to buy tools and learn how to use them. We can all guess that you probably have a dead battery, and that's very likely a correct guess. But, you can answer the question FOR SURE with one simple tool.

In this case, you need a multimeter. Doesn't need to be an expensive one, but you'll thank yourself later for not buying a junky one.

Something like this would be adequate for occasional use:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9QW620/

Avoid the super cheap ones like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001RSREKI/

And you can pick one up locally at a home improvement or building supply store.

With that, you can measure voltage! That will answer your question right away.

Measure the voltage right at the battery with the engine off. Should normally read about 12.5-12.7 volts. No less than 12.2 for sure. If it's less than that, your battery is toast. (or at least discharged)

If it measures over 12v, but the car still won't start, try measuring the voltage while cranking. If you don't have someone to crank for you, you can move your voltage measurement point to something like the cigarette lighter socket. Voltage should definitely drop while cranking, but it shouldn't drop to nothing. And if it's dropping to below about 10v, your electronics (like the ECU) are going to have trouble. Normally, even while cranking, voltage should probably be at least 11-11.5v.

Since we're talking about using meter and battery stuff... let's say you jump-start the car. Now it's running. Is the battery good? Is the alternator good?

Again, measure the battery voltage. With the engine running, the alternator should be charging, and the battery voltage should be around 14.1-14.8v. If it is, then you know the alternator is charging. Drive the car, charge the battery, and see if your problem is cured or not. If not, then you likely have a battery problem. Car batteries tend to last 2-3 years these days. They tend to fail at temperature extremes (hot or cold) or when the weather changes (first cold/cool spell at the end of summer).

If the running voltage is a BUNCH more than 14.8v (like 17-18v), you have a bad voltage regulator and it can damage your battery due to over-charging, potentially even cause a battery failure or fire. Probably a bad alternator, possibly a wiring problem, and could possibly have damaged the battery.

If the running voltage much less than 14v... getting close to, the same as, or less than the initial battery voltage... then your alternator is not charging. You'll probably need to replace the alternator. It's possible that discharing the battery too far and/or too many times has damaged your battery, and you might ALSO need to replace the battery.

Let's say you've verified that the alternator is properly charging, and you've driven the car for an hour. The battery should now be charged. Turn off the car, and check the voltage! Is it 12.5+? Let the car rest overnight. Check it again. Is it STILL 12.5? Or did it lose some voltage overnight? (a good battery should be exactly the same overnight) Then, if the car won't start even though the voltage was good... what's the voltage AFTER you tried to start it? Did it suddenly drop? (a good battery should hold almost all of its voltage even after several normal starts) If the charging system is working and the battery won't hold a charge... you've got a bad battery!

Easy to do basic diagnosis of battery/alternator problems with a simple volt meter.

Go buy one!
    Simplify and add lightness.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (11-01-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    I view things like this as an opportunity to buy tools and learn how to use them. We can all guess that you probably have a dead battery, and that's very likely a correct guess. But, you can answer the question FOR SURE with one simple tool.

Easy to do basic diagnosis of battery/alternator problems with a simple volt meter.

Go buy one!
    Easy is jump starting the car. Rules out the starter being a problem. Then you drive to AutoZone, and they do everything you suggested for free. No need to buy anything extra. Easy & cheap!

I have voltmeters, battery chargers, etc.., & I would still do that. If my battery is dead (which I can usually tell when one is going), they will replace it right there in the parking lot for free. Done! Plus, I like their battery offerings for the Mirage.

The initial inquiry didn't come from the U.S. Thus, AutoZone may not be an option, but hopefully jumper cables are one.

I am not knocking all your good information, but you do have to get the car started first. That would probably involve jumper cables or a battery charger. In my experience, factory batteries seem to have a short life (a few years if you live in a cold climate area). Most of my replacement batteries seem to last two to three times longer than the original ones.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Had a parts store replace a battery on my wife's car once. Sluggish start when she was leaving work, and it was raining. I didn't want to deal with it. I ended up going over there after dark and crawling under the car in the rain because the 18-year-old employee dropped a nut and couldn't find it. They also broke the clip on the top of the battery cover and had to replace it. I was unimpressed.

Most parts store employees are trained on things like this as follows: "Do you know how to change a battery?" "Uh, yeah, sure."

I'm certain that this is exactly the same reason why the little red plastic flip cover over the positive battery terminal on my Mirage is broken. And it was done at the Toyota dealer that I bought the car from. Also the same dealer that put 4 new tires on the car without noticing a bent rim.

Nah, having random people do stuff on your car is NOT always the best idea.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post

Nah, having random people do stuff on your car is NOT always the best idea.
    I wasn't suggesting random people do your stuff either. I go to places that have good employees, know their stuff, and have top equipment that I would rather not buy. I live in a small town. I know these guys. They know way more about cars than you or I. They use their equipment to test cars daily.

My girlfriend's car battery did exactly what was described here in this thread. I could have pulled out the voltmeter and done everything suggested here. Instead, I drove into town and jump started her car. We drove to AutoZone, and I stood along side the guy doing the testing. His tools are way better than mine. We discussed the numbers as we were reading them together. We both concluded her battery was fine. Her alternator wasn't working to capacity. She made an appointment with her mechanic. The small town mechanic just confirmed what she already knew & replaced her alternator. She didn't have to second guess what was done, because two parties (plus me) came up with the same solution.

I assumed her battery was bad, but I was wrong. She bought her Mercury Sable used two years ago from a relative, but I didn't realize they had replaced the battery at the time of purchase.

Prior to her car's service appointment, she borrowed one of my battery charger & charged her battery each night. She also carried jumper cables to work. We are blessed with great small town mechanics and a number of great auto parts stores that do their best to serve their customers. I like to reward that with my business. I might add we spent nothing at AutoZone that day. Yet, drove away knowing what we had to do.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Holy smokes - all this to deal with a dead battery!

Hey mitsumi be sure to tell us what you find. Sounds like a dead battery to me too.

Oh, and sorry for the late response to your post. Yesterday was Halloween here, and we had higher priorities other than surfing the forum. Looks like you got the advice you were after.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (11-01-2018)