Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HORRIBLE brake noise so I just changed my pads!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

HORRIBLE brake noise so I just changed my pads!

I started having brake noise a while back and figured it was time for new pads so purchased some. I removed the wheels and took a good look at the pads and they looked fine so put everything back together.

The noise just got WORSE and WORSE. These were the stock pads and I figured they were done for with only 24,000 miles. Anyway, I was surprised as they look to be half or a little more the thickness of the new pads. They certainly didn't look like they were about done for and ready to start grinding down the rotors.

The backing on one of the pads was loose and I wonder if that was the problem. The new pads are on so I certainly wouldn't reinstall the old ones but was just curious.

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Interesting. I wonder what happened - any pictures of the old pads?

And what did you use as replacements?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Probably the wear indicator. They seem to make noise prematurely. It's the little metal tab that'll scrape on the rotor as the pad wears, it'll likely be shiny on the edge. After a short time I just quit installing them when I'd change brake pads as I check them at least once a month anyways.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I got about 31,000 miles out of my original pads. The 2014-2015 cars EAT brake pads, which is something that was remedied for the 2017 MY. I switched to Raybestos EHT pads, and they seem to be a little better.

Did the noise go away with new pads? Speaking of brake pads, I am starting to hear my wear indicators 'chirp' when I go around corners. Almost time for the 4th set at 93,000 miles, and this time the rotors are being replaced as well.

Just a Mirage 'quirk', I guess. I'd rather have a car that eats brake pads every 20k than one which eats, say, clutches every 20k (looking at you, VW). At least brakes are cheap!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I haven't driven the car yet but will know today. I saved the old pads and plan to take pictures later but have been busy. They really didn't look bad but figure the new pads are a good idea with how these eat brakes.

I bought the lifetime warranty ones from Autozone so will let everyone know how they do. I thought they were about done for a few weeks back and I was planning to change them ASAP. I got the most expensive ones in the Duralast line which I know is just something else repackaged. I know there may be others that are better but we will see how these go.

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I got about 31,000 miles out of my original pads. The 2014-2015 cars EAT brake pads, which is something that was remedied for the 2017 MY. I switched to Raybestos EHT pads, and they seem to be a little better.

Did the noise go away with new pads? Speaking of brake pads, I am starting to hear my wear indicators 'chirp' when I go around corners. Almost time for the 4th set at 93,000 miles, and this time the rotors are being replaced as well.

Just a Mirage 'quirk', I guess. I'd rather have a car that eats brake pads every 20k than one which eats, say, clutches every 20k (looking at you, VW). At least brakes are cheap!
    So interesting... 4 sets in less miles than I got on one... weird!
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Keep us updated.

I've got 39,xxx miles on my 15' Mirage (5 spd). I do try engine braking as much as I can as well. I do feel a bit of vibration while braking as well, so I'm definitely going to be changing the rotors/pads soon. Not sure if weather has to do anything with the faded brake pads or not. I do know that this past winter, the steel wheels were stuffed with snow several times with the amount of snow we got.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    So interesting... 4 sets in less miles than I got on one... weird!
    Yeah, this car is used for delivery.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The noise is better but by no means perfect. I did a few miles of hard braking cycles as well and seated the new pads in until I started to smell them. I drove at speed for several more miles before testing them again. Braking is MUCH improved with the new pads but there is still some noise so maybe it will go away after a bit. I would suggest these Autozone pads as far as braking power. They were the most expensive option available and have a lifetime warranty. The noise may be a different story though but we will see.

So the wear indicators are the little tabs clipped onto the pads? I thought they were a hard spot in the pad material that would be exposed once they were worn down enough.

Conor

Yes the indicator is just the little clip on tab. Did you clean up or replace and lube the clips where the pads slide? I did have one car that I couldn't get the brakes to shut up, I ended up replacing the rotors and pads from a wreck and that did the trick. Used the same pads on a different car with no issues.
    The rear brakes seem to get noisy on these cars as well, I have to blow out the dust and lube the backing plates where the shoes rub. It seems to help a lot.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)