Thread: Wanted to Buy a used 2014-2018 Mitsubishi Mirage DE or ES with CVT.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Post Wanted to Buy a used 2014-2018 Mitsubishi Mirage DE or ES with CVT.

Hello All:

I should like to buy a Mitsu Mirage per the subject line.

If you should have one that you want to sell, please PM me with your location, the mileage, color and asking price.

Thanks in advance

Welcome, FrugalDriver!

We don't get a lot of members posting their vehicles for sale here, though there have been a few. I imagine your best bet would be to scour the online ads (eg. Craigslist) on a regular basis. There are some really great deals to be found if you're willing to be patient.

EG: see
    Thread: Cheap used Mirages you've seen for sale?

What's your main reason for seeking the CVT?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

What's your main reason for seeking the CVT?
    Thanks for the reply Metro:

The main reason for seeking the CVT, is that I remember reading somewhere that, on long distance driving, the CVT yields better fuel economy than manual transmissions. I am going to retire this year and want to visit and experience the natural beauty of this vast continent by road; I thought a Mirage would make a difference in fuel expense over many miles .

If your main concern is fuel economy, even if you will be doing lots of highway driving, I would still get the manual.

With 1.5 million "real world" miles tracked in our log, compare the CVT vs manual MPG results:

>>> View detailed fuel economy stats by transmission type (CVT vs. 5-speed manual).

The manual will also be less expensive in terms of maintenance, with a lot of highway travel.

But the CVT does offer a more "relaxed" highway driving experience, with lower engine RPM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (05-09-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Here's another thread with more info on the topic...

Manual Transmission For Freeway Driving?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-09-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FrugalDriver View Post
    Thanks for the reply Metro:

The main reason for seeking the CVT, is that I remember reading somewhere that, on long distance driving, the CVT yields better fuel economy than manual transmissions. I am going to retire this year and want to visit and experience the natural beauty of this vast continent by road; I thought a Mirage would make a difference in fuel expense over many miles .
    The manual transmission will almost always yield better fuel economy than the CVT. However if you are determined to get a CVT Mirage and will be doing a lot of driving cruise control is a must. The CVT with cruise control engaged is much more aggressive in keeping the rpm's low than when it's not engaged.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-09-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Question

Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    However if you are determined to get a CVT Mirage and will be doing a lot of driving cruise control is a must. The CVT with cruise control engaged is much more aggressive in keeping the rpm's low than when it's not engaged.
    Thanks for the reply posts.
    I bought a Mirage last Monday. However, it is a base model, without cruise control. Would an after-market engaged cruise control be equally aggressive in keeping the rpms low than when not engaged?
    2017 Mirage ES
    27k miles
    CVT tranny
    Bought used in 2018
    165 65 14 Dunlop Enasave tires

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FrugalDriver View Post
    Thanks for the reply posts.
    I bought a Mirage last Monday. However, it is a base model, without cruise control. Would an after-market engaged cruise control be equally aggressive in keeping the rpms low than when not engaged?
    If it's enabled in ETACS then the answer is yes. If it's the Rostra kit I'm not sure. Stevedmc just posted that he installed a Rostra kit so he would be a great person to ask.
    Last edited by inuvik; 05-17-2018 at 10:13 PM. Reason: syntax cleanup

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

A year ago I would have highly recommended getting a cvt. Maybe even 6 months ago. The first failure I've seen was at 300k kms(99%highway miles), second one(different car) was just over 200k kms(mix of in town and secondary highway). Both cvt's had the same bearing fail and take out the entire transmission. The third one didn't fail completely but is making a noise at 80k kms(90%highway miles) needs to be replaced. Another member just had their cvt fail with fairly low mileage as well. It seems to be hit and miss as far as reliability goes.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)