Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Possibly another cvt on the way out? Update: replaced under warranty

It's been a week since I dropped it off and still nothing has happened. When we had a spark the dealer didn't hesitate to cover the transmission, and the second transmission and even covered the third one as well all without any hassle.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If they decide to deny the warranty coverage would it be Mitsubishi Corporate that is saying No or would it be the Dealership that is saying No?
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mitsubishi's reimbursement for the job may not be high enough for the dealer. They're probably still deciding if they want to fix it or not. Well the Spark has had many reports of bad transmissions right? So it would be labeled almost as a recall if it affects too many cars. They're probably trying to single yours out as a bad egg, or find any evidence that its your fault.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Marklovski For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-23-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Dealers probably don't disassemble CVTs for diagnosis unless specifically instructed by the Tech Line (with Mitsubishi paying for the labor time). So when a CVT fails, it may be a component replacement in most cases at this point...remove the old CVT and install new one. Problem fixed.

The only problem is that is the dealer cost of a CVT is close to $4,000. So a dealer isn't going to do anything until the corporate office agrees to cover the repair.

Name:  trans.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  41.5 KB

Bad components like this are supposed to make their way back to the manufacturer so they can be disassembled and studied to figure out why they failed. Someone I know indirectly works for Honda as a mechanical engineer. One of his jobs is that he disassembles failed automatic transmissions to figure out why they failed.

A transaxle replacement this expensive may exceed the value of a Mirage before it's 4 years old.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-15-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    If they decide to deny the warranty coverage would it be Mitsubishi Corporate that is saying No or would it be the Dealership that is saying No?
    If they deny it, I'm going to say that's its Mitsubishi's decision but this greasy dealership surely has the ability to make a judgement call and likely could have just had it covered without making a big deal and dicking us around. Maybe this dealer doesn't like the fact that they're losing so much business by us not letting them touch our cars? Whatever their reason, they're handling this situation like a bunch of retards.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I hope my CVT doesn't fail. That price is horrendous.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    If they deny it, I'm going to say that's its Mitsubishi's decision but this greasy dealership surely has the ability to make a judgement call and likely could have just had it covered without making a big deal and dicking us around. Maybe this dealer doesn't like the fact that they're losing so much business by us not letting them touch our cars? Whatever their reason, they're handling this situation like a bunch of retards.
    I think that dealers make most of their money from the service department, so you avoiding the service department shows that you're not actually profitable even though you might have bought a few cars there. I always have said that educated people always spend less or get a higher product for the same dollar used. People who don't know about cars will be profitable while people who change their own oil won't be.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

It took me a few reads to get what your last sentence meant. Thought you meant being profitable personally not to the dealer. But, if I knew less about cars I'd probably have something newer that cost far less fix when it broke lol

I'm sure they dealers profit a lot from the service side, charge $100-120/hr pay a mechanic $30-40/hr, good profit margin especially when the tech gets paid piece work and the 3hr book time job takes 5hrs to complete because of broken exhaust studs or ......
    Mirage videos:

Got the car back finally. They did put a new cvt in it after dicking around for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    I would be shocked it they dont cover it under warranty. They should be shining your shoes when you walk in the door.
    They don't care about customer service at this dealership. We only use them cause they're close by. There are 2 other Mitsu dealers in town that are probably better to deal with. They can't be any worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Dealers probably don't disassemble CVTs for diagnosis unless specifically instructed by the Tech Line (with Mitsubishi paying for the labor time). So when a CVT fails, it may be a component replacement in most cases at this point...remove the old CVT and install new one. Problem fixed.

Bad components like this are supposed to make their way back to the manufacturer so they can be disassembled and studied to figure out why they failed. Someone I know indirectly works for Honda as a mechanical engineer. One of his jobs is that he disassembles failed automatic transmissions to figure out why they failed.

A transaxle replacement this expensive may exceed the value of a Mirage before it's 4 years old.
    You're correct. It looks like they just called the tech line did a few test's, sent in some pics of the oil pan then eventually decided they'll replace it under warranty. I need a job like that, very little thinking involved for those dealership mechanics, just follow a flow chart and call a help line.
    Mirage videos:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Glad you got a resolution. Thanks for the update.

After having disassembled a couple of these CVTs yourself, do you have any opinion as to why some of them seem to have failed prematurely?

The next time you have a CVT fail, it might be interesting to get an analysis of the transmission fluid. Blackstone Labs does transmission fluid analysis in addition to oil analysis.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-15-2018)

I would have liked to seen what went wrong this time. This car was a little different than the first 2 failures we had. This one drove fine but made a howling/whining noise almost like a loud rear diff that's ready to pile up, unlike the other cars which just started having major driveability problems out of the blue. The noise in this car got louder under load and especially loud when the cvt shifted around 60kph,40mph). I'm not smart enough to say for sure but this cvt was probably repairable easily enough. The car still drove fine it was just noisy. Maybe the input shaft bearing going like the other cars? If only they voided the warranty I would have torn it apart

Mirage videos:

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-12-2018),Top_Fuel (06-12-2018)