Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just over 52K on 2015 and had complete failure on CVT

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirager View Post
    I just got the car back today...
    So it was covered under warranty with no issues?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    So it was covered under warranty with no issues?
    Yes, it was covered. They had the car for a complete week, but only covered 4 days of rental car, so I got stuck with paying for 3.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirager For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (05-25-2018)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Mitsubishi Mirage CVT transmission failure thin oil trip driving dealership

These cars can't be driven on long trips? Is that in the owners manual?
    (Are you original owner?)

Seriously...are there ways to drive the CVT Mirage that would be hard on the tranny?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
    These cars can't be driven on long trips? Is that in the owners manual?
    (Are you original owner?)

Seriously...are there ways to drive the CVT Mirage that would be hard on the tranny?
    Welcome to the forum! Actually long trips are better and I would imagine that driving in extreme heat aggressively wouldn't be good on the CVT. If you only drove short trips in cold climates would be tough on a CVT due to oil temps not getting "hot enough". Overloading weight wise or towing with a CVT would be bad also. But basically dealers say all sorts of outrageous crapola that they have no idea about.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Lebanon
    Thanks
    Hello!

I got a call yesterday from the dealership saying that my transmission is failing...at only 43000 km...I don't have any warranty anymore since I bought my car in december 2013...(3 years warranty). What happened is that the D, R and N started blinking, then the check engine appeared...Anyways they said I have 2 options:

-they are going to ask the japanese company for a good will. This will take 2 months, then if they agree they will wait another 2 months to get the new cvt...they said a new cvt costs 8000$ and I will only pay 2500$. I just want to knw if anyone agree with these prices, aren't they very high for a Mirage? Also they won't even provide me with a renting car...what are my rights here?

-the second option is to replace my cvt with an old one at 1500$...

I really don't know what to do...
    very sad
    In

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanessa View Post
    ...my transmission is failing at only 43000 km... (translation for US - that's only 27,000 miles!!!)
    Wow...that may be the earliest CVT failure anyone on this forum has ever had.

...I don't have any warranty
    ...they are going to ask for a good will.
    ...will take 2 months
    ...if they agree...will wait another 2 months to get the new cvt
    Wow...so it will take Mitsubishi 60 days to consider a goodwill repair...then even if that works out for you, you'll be without your car for a total of 4 months?!?

...a new cvt costs 8000$ and I will only pay 2500$.
    ...just want to know if anyone agree with these prices, aren't they very high for a Mirage?
    Are you quoting prices in US dollars?

A new CVT from a dealer is very expensive. Here in the United States, a CVT purchased from a Mitsubishi dealership will cost approximately $4500 US dollars. Add another $500 to that for installation. So a CVT replacement would cost someone in the US roughly $5,000 at a dealership. If you are getting a new CVT installed at a dealership for $2500 US dollars (and you don't have any warranty left), that is not a bad deal.

...they won't even provide me with a renting car...what are my rights here?
    If you don't have any factory warranty left, they have no obligation to pay for a rental car (at least here in the US). You'd have to find other transportation on your own.

...second option is to replace my cvt with an old one at 1500$...
    If time wasn't a factor, the new CVT for $2500 is the better option. Can you manage without a car for 4 months?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Sorry to hear this news Vanessa. I am suspicious that your dealer is trying to coerce you into buying another car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Lebanon
    Thanks
    Thank you for answering that fast! You got it all right! if the goodwill works, 4 months wthout a car... which is crazy like why do they need so much time! I guess I'll find solutions without a car... yes the price are in US $. I just hope they are not lying about the cvt failure, I mean the car is changing speed normally, it's just the d blinking from time to time...ugh

Country
    Lebanon
    Thanks
    Dear eggman, really? I'm even more suspicious now...they need an answer by Monday, I'm freaking out, I wanted to take it to another garage to get it scanned...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanessa View Post
    ...the car is changing speed normally, it's just the d blinking from time to time...
    Something is telling the car's computer that there is a transmission problem. That's why the D is blinking. It could be a real problem...or it could be a $100 sensor. If you have the car at a competent Mitsubishi dealer, they apparently have determined that it's something that a quick part change won't fix.

It sounds like you could keep driving it. It also sounds like you could use a second opinion...but you are in Lebanon! You probably don't have a wide selection of automotive repair shops at your disposal. And even if you have one available, do they have the computer necessary to read data from your Mitsubishi transmission? A simple code scanner to pull "check engine" codes is not going to work in this case. The shop will need a specific scan tool that usually only Mitsubishi dealers have. Are there any transmission shops in the area?