Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just over 52K on 2015 and had complete failure on CVT

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Just over 52K on 2015 and had complete failure on CVT

Yesterday, the car started to sputter and felt like the transmission was slipping at takeoff, then would kick into drive and run fine. At various times when I would come to a stop and start to take off again, there would be a hesitation in the transmission actually driving forward.
    On my way to the dealership this morning, the car once again began to sputter...it felt like as if I were driving over those slow-down-bumps they put in the road as you are coming up to a stop.
    Once stopped, the engine died. I started it back up and as soon as I put it into drive, it died again. I couldn't put it in reverse or drive without it dying.
    I had to get a tow to the nearest dealership some 30 plus miles away.
    They called me just a moment ago and told me that the CVT failed. Their techline was down at the time, so they couldn't get specific information on it, but their onsight tech said the CVT had 100% failure.
    That seems unusual at 52k...mostly interstate miles. Now I'm just waiting to find out when they can get it replaced.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mirager For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-17-2018),Marklovski (05-20-2018),MetroMPG (05-19-2018),Top_Fuel (05-18-2018)

That really sucks! Your's sounds like the exact same symptoms one of our cars had with much higher mileage. http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...-in-the-fleet) It was like it was in direct drive and would stall unless you're moving. We had one start making noise 2 days ago and it's at the dealer waiting to see if they are going to honor the warranty because it's a company car..

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Thanks for the report Mirager. Looking forward to updates.

Here's hoping your dealership takes care of you for this. Hopefully they provide lots of details that can be shared here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like Mitsubishi dealers do any diagnosing other than say its screwed. It'd sure be nice to see what exactly failed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The dealership called me this morning to tell me they will be replacing the CVT. They said it won't be ready until next Wed/Thur., but at least they are covering my rental costs until they can get me one of their cars to drive on Monday. Well, I had to get a rental because all of theirs were already out to other customers, so they said they'd reimburse my rental costs.
    They didn't elaborate as to the cause of the failure, but I'll ask again when I go in on Monday.

Sorry to hear about the inconvenience. Glad they're treating you right, though.

Yes, please ask for more info about the failure.

===

Has anybody been keeping an eye on the Versa forum for reports of CVT problems in the Versa Note & sedan? (Same CVT unit as used in the Mirage, supposedly.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

FYI, this is the fourth CVT failure reported here that I know of.

I tagged the others:

cvt failures

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Mirager (05-21-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Has anybody been keeping an eye on the Versa forum for reports of CVT problems in the Versa Note & sedan? (Same CVT unit as used in the Mirage, supposedly.)
    Hm - that's a good point. I haven't checked because the Mirage satisfies all my needs.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Just took a quick look at nissanversavorums.com and there are 2 active CVT problem threads on their list of current threads.

Worth noting: the Versa used 2 different CVT's, and the switchover to the CVT7 was for the 2013 model year.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-23-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just got the car back today and they said the failure was due to low pressure. The oil was too thin. They said it was like it had been driven on a long trip. I drive it 130 miles round trip to work 3 days a week.