Thread: Proper transmission servicing, parts/fluid/timing.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Proper transmission servicing, parts/fluid/timing.

As my car is about to embark on a nearly 3500 mile journey, and I'm at 26,000 miles, I thought I'd do the 30,000 mile servicing before I left as a precaution. Problem is this is my first servicing and I have no idea what I'm doing here, lol. Should I just leave it to the pro's (I have AAMCO and a few independent shops where I live) or can I get the fluid and filters on my own and try this myself (or at the very least have the stuff needed when I go to a pro to ease my costs)?

I went through this section a few times and am seeing a bit of conflicting info, please clear this up for me and make so simple a 5 year old wouldn't have any question afterwards, thanks!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon2knight View Post
    As my car is about to embark on a nearly 3500 mile journey, and I'm at 26,000 miles, I thought I'd do the 30,000 mile servicing before I left as a precaution. Problem is this is my first servicing and I have no idea what I'm doing here, lol. Should I just leave it to the pro's (I have AAMCO and a few independent shops where I live) or can I get the fluid and filters on my own and try this myself (or at the very least have the stuff needed when I go to a pro to ease my costs)?

I went through this section a few times and am seeing a bit of conflicting info, please clear this up for me and make so simple a 5 year old wouldn't have any question afterwards, thanks!
    Some CVTs go way past 100,000 miles without service. This is in accordance with the Owner's Manual. However, the forum consensus is to not wait that long.

How long to go is up to the individual. Some do a drain and fill. That doesn't get all the gunk out but just refreshes the fluid a bit. Some try to do a full flush but without the proper equipment it is difficult to get all the old fluid out. Sounds like a proper full flush would be a shop job.

I think you'd be safe waiting until 50,000 miles give or take and then do a full flush and filter replacement but it's not my transmission nor is it my budget.

From a manual-transmission owner...

For most other forums this subject is grounds for a holy war. We're not there yet. CVT fluid replacement is what's agreed on. The type of fluid, how often, how much and whether or not to replace the filters is still being decided. Time will tell. Thanks to forum members reporting their experiences, we'll eventually find out how to care for these babies.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (11-08-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So...there is no real layout for doing this, gotcha. I kinda figured that reading through this section but was hoping for a clearer road. Guess I'll do what you suggested, a flush/filter change at 50,000. I'm not planning on keeping this car much past that point anyway as I like to refinance with a trade in after around 3-4 years depending. Still, I always keep my cars in top operating condition regardless. Thanks for the info