Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaving 2 windows open on the drivers side ONLY: HYPERMILING STRATEGY

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Leaving 2 windows open on the drivers side ONLY: HYPERMILING STRATEGY

Hi Gang,

I remember reading a long time ago on this forum someone said the best method (when driving by yourself) is to leave both windows (front and rear) open on the drivers side and this will reduce the drag coefficient because the wind comes in thru the drivers window and exits back out thru the rear window on the drivers side (backseat)

And from what i understand this is preferred over leaving the front driver and front passenger windows open (which is the traditional thing people do).

Has anyone compared the mpg numbers in an experiment? it is really worth doing? We are putting extra wear and tear on the rear windows motor compared to only leaving 1 window open out of 4: The front drivers window ONLY.

2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'd guess that lowering the rear windows (both) maybe 2-3" to give air a path to exit, and then opening the driver's window as much as you want or need to would be an acceptable solution. Less wear on the window motors because you're not moving them as much. Less effect on aero if you're not opening the window all the way.

You may even find that cranking the AC fan to max with no recirc along with the rear windows cracked provides enough ventilation if it's not crazy hot.

I've not played with any of this in the Mirage. It has AC. When it's hot, I use it!

My S10 doesn't have functional AC, but I don't like a lot of wind noise, and I do like the dark-tinted windows keeping the hot sun off of my face... so I usually drive around with both windows cracked 2-3" and the fan cranked. It's not too bad most of the time.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    For me, it's just a way to circulate air in the passenger compartment. Air enters the rear, makes it way around the cabin and exits out the front opening. I'm not sure if it's more aerodynamic or not, but it is very effective for getting air circulation inside. I'll choose which side of the car to open depending on my passenger's preferences, if any. If it's just me, I'll usually open windows on the other side of the cabin.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ya'll are silly. The car is designed to be the most aerodynamic with the windows closed. Close your windows and enjoy your AC.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Ya'll are silly. The car is designed to be the most aerodynamic with the windows closed. Close your windows and enjoy your AC.
    I agree that on the motorway that windows closed is best. I think anytime speeds are above 50mph (80.46 km) it is best to keep the windows closed.

Speaking of the freeway (highway) I tried just using the fan of the Mirage but that was not comfortable enough. I bought a car plug-in fan for 15$ on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071GRSPZL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It blows the air pretty good but its hard to find an ideal spot to mount the fan. The suction only works on the windshield, It wont maintain its suction mount if stuck on the plastic. I think I am going to mount it on the drivers side, lower than the dashboard on the fuse box cover. I am planning to crazy glue it onto the fuse box door this way I can tilt it up to point at me and it wont interfere with my line of sight to look out the windshield. Also it wont be so ugly and in a place that other passengers can see it.

Anyways getting back to the subject matter at hand of leaving 2 windows open another drawback is you sometimes will forget to close the rear window. I accidentaly left my rear window open overnight in "the ghetto". Im lucky nothing happened or that a street cat did not climb into the car and p1ss on the seats

I read about a convertible Corvette that the owner left the top down overnight and street cats climbed into it, p1ssed on the seats and clawed up the expensive leather seats like a scratching post. Clawed up the seats so bad that they yanked the foam out of the seats. Bad cats.

If anyone is in the mood for some scientific research try driving the same route home with

A) both front windows open
    B) only drivers side window open (front only)
    c) Front and rear window open on drivers side

Record your mpg. I think I did this experiment last year if my memory is correct and only noticed a difference of 1 mpg (which could be a fluke) on my classical 15 minute city drive to visit my Mother.

Scientific Journal of 6th generation Mitsubishi Mirage: Controlled study: Effects of wind-drag on city driving at 50 mpg (80 km) or below with different windows open

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    There are only three legitimate reasons to roll your windows down. Saving gas is not one of them.

1.) On a hot summer day, inside temperatures can reach 160 degrees fahrenheit. Roll your windows down as you wait for your AC to start blowing cold air. This helps the hot air get out of your car sooner. Once the hot air is out of your car, roll your windows back up and enjoy the cold AC.

2.) On a nice day it can be pleasant to roll your windows down and listen to the birds chirp. This is only good when driving at low speeds. Interstate/highway speeds are just noisy with the windows rolled down.

3.) Someone farted in your car.

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ^ I'd have to disagree. The reduced mileage for rolling down windows for SUVs is lower than turning on the AC. Smaller cars have a marginal difference between the two. Unless I'm in slow traffic I would not have the AC on. Rather have all the power of the engine and wind blowing under my window deflectors.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    ^ I'd have to disagree. The reduced mileage for rolling down windows for SUVs is lower than turning on the AC. Smaller cars have a marginal difference between the two. Unless I'm in slow traffic I would not have the AC on. Rather have all the power of the engine and wind blowing under my window deflectors.
    Admit it, you fart a lot.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Admit it, you fart a lot.
    Only when I need the extra passing power!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I did a mini experiment and once again I see almost zero difference between drivers front window rolled down compared to drivers side front and rear windows down. I did not test the traditional both front windows down because I just assume that will create the most drag out of any of them

Looking forward to seeing your results guys. Report back and maybe we can add this to the compendium of knowledge. I definatley dont regret choosing the manual transmission. I can do some magic in the city have even reached as high at 65 mpg on a 15 minute city drive.

This car is amazing and the best hypermiler that money can buy (non-hybrid / non-EV)