Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bluetooth Volume

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Bluetooth Volume

Oh, the BT on this car!

On the one hand, it's pretty cool that a car at this price point came with BT as standard. On the other hand, it's a pretty cheesy implementation! But, I have to say that it does work reliably, without much thought. Kind of like the rest of the car, it's "more than good enough."

That said, here's my problem.

I hate listening to the repetitive crap they play on the radio. I prefer to listen to music podcasts on my phone. Hence the Bluetooth.

Related to this, I have a couple problems, and a couple complaints. Maybe y'all can help with some of this?

Complaint: The stupid BT system streams music through the stereo speakers, but doesn't control volume through the head unit. Who thought this was a good idea? (the implementation almost makes sense if it was JUST for hands-free phone use)

Problem 1: The volume of the BT system is insufficient. Some of the podcasts I listen to are mixed at a slighlty lower-than-normal level. Some of the more normal ones are "okay". But, for the lower-volume ones, I can max out my phone volume, AND max out the BT volume on the Mirage, and still strain to hear the music. Really wish there was both more volume AND it was adjustable via the head unit rather than a button hidden under the steering wheel.

Problem 2: The volume of the BT system always defaults to a set level. So, if I'm listening to a podcast, and I set the volume on my phone and on the Mirage BT to a good level... and then I turn the car off for a bit... when I get back in the car, I have to fidget with the BT volume again. Annoying!

So...

Anybody know any secret settings or tricks that would affect any of this? I doubt it, but worth asking.

And, what other solutions might there be short of shelling out for a new BT capable head unit? I'm not an audiophile, I don't need super hi-fi, or really high volume. I just want to be able to hear what I'm listening to without a fuss!

I've been thinking about maybe hijacking the BT output and amplifying it on its way to the speakers. I'm assuming that the BT module doesn't go through the factory stereo at all, but maybe it does. Regardless, a 4-channel amp with a volume knob somewhere in easy reach would do the trick.

Lay some knowledge on me!

Simplify and add lightness.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

iriegnome (01-10-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    That's interesting - I don't think I have any of these problems. I'm able to adjust my Bluetooth volume and as far as I use it I don't recall any problems with it not holding the volume I set. On the other hand, I don't use my Bluetooth interface that much.

What firmware are you running? It might help to update to the latest.

Link System | Fuse | HFM (Hands Free Module) - Software Update

P.S. Have you considered using the USB port to play your files? It might work better for you.
    Last edited by Eggman; 05-22-2018 at 08:29 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Firmware? See, that's why I'm here.

I'm sure it's whatever version is was built with in 2015. (or 2014?)

Sifting through that thread now. Not sure if I'll have time to mess with it this week or not.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Soooo... the BT module is connected with the radio... and with a USB module in the glovebox? Is it connected to anything else? Which piece is "in charge"? The BT module firmware can be updated. What about the other components, like the radio itself?

Sorry, this is my first foray into dealing with electronics that are this modern.

I kind of went from Cassette to CD to iPod directly to BT streaming. I skipped the USB stick phase. And I wasted so much time ripping, organizing and rating music on my iPod back in the day that I have no desire to go through it again. That's why I listen to podcasts. It's just easier to let someone else "curate" my music for me, and expose me to new and different stuff (or old and different stuff) that I might not otherwise hear.

Geez, thinking about this. I know there's a recall on my car to reflash the airbag module, which has it's own computer. And there's an Engine ECU, and I think a body control module for windows and locks and all that. Did I read somewhere that there's another system for the power steering? How many different computer systems does this car have???

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

iriegnome (01-10-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not sure if your issues were figured out, if you use an iPhone plugging it into the USB in the glove box goes directly through the radio and is controlled by the radio. The default Bluetooth on the Mirage isn't really going through the radio but kills the radio when taking over, I'm not even sure if it uses the stereo speakers as the sound quality is completely different when playing music over the Bluetooth compared to using the radio. I ended up actually getting a cheap BT receiver to plug into the radio's AUX in because my phones would cause the Bluetooth to kill the radio for an incoming call and when I would reject the call the Mirage's BT would keep control of the speakers and not give it back to the radio on the rare occasions I would use the radio.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I never really messed with it, just living with it.

I don't want to go to the trouble of plugging in another cable every time I get in the car. I usually just plant the phone in a cradle on the dash, and if it needs some juice, I plug it in. Otherwise, I let the BT do its thing. It synchs and starts playing where it left off, just like I want it to.

My only issue with it is the volume level is kinda low. (really only a problem with one podcast that I listen to because it consistently is recorded with a low volume) No real complaints with the sound quality, but I'm not an audiophile. It's "good enough".

It definitely plays through the stereo speakers, and I would imagine that it's using the amp in the factory radio. The BT module just disables the radio whenever there is BT audio (either from streaming, or from a phone call).

I have a love/hate relationship with it. I love that it was an included option on the car, and it works pretty seamlessly. I hate that it has a volume button that's hidden under the steering wheel, and the volume level isn't what it should be, and you can't control the volume with the volume knob on the radio.

Overall, for what the car is, and it's price point... it works.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    I never really messed with it, just living with it.

I don't want to go to the trouble of plugging in another cable every time I get in the car. I usually just plant the phone in a cradle on the dash, and if it needs some juice, I plug it in. Otherwise, I let the BT do its thing. It synchs and starts playing where it left off, just like I want it to.

My only issue with it is the volume level is kinda low. (really only a problem with one podcast that I listen to because it consistently is recorded with a low volume) No real complaints with the sound quality, but I'm not an audiophile. It's "good enough".

It definitely plays through the stereo speakers, and I would imagine that it's using the amp in the factory radio. The BT module just disables the radio whenever there is BT audio (either from streaming, or from a phone call).

I have a love/hate relationship with it. I love that it was an included option on the car, and it works pretty seamlessly. I hate that it has a volume button that's hidden under the steering wheel, and the volume level isn't what it should be, and you can't control the volume with the volume knob on the radio.

Overall, for what the car is, and it's price point... it works.
    Sometimes the volume adjustment for a bluetooth device is on the device itself. Have you tried adjusting the phone volume while paired with bluetooth?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, I have to max the phone volume for that one particular podcast. Otherwise, I usually leave it at about 3/4 and it's adequate.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,118 Posts
    I just turn on the head unit and choose Bluetooth (BT) as the input method. I turn the volume all the way up on the device I"m streaming from and control the volume with head unit. Sound quality is excellent.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    Yeah, I have to max the phone volume for that one particular podcast. Otherwise, I usually leave it at about 3/4 and it's adequate.
    I suffer the same problem, podcasts especially. One thing that helps is adjusting the Bass to -5 and the Treble to +5, also fiddling with your phone's EQ if you have an iPhone.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tyrelirwin For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-10-2018),Loren (11-09-2018)