Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the included tire jack good enough?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Is the included tire jack good enough?

Do you think the included tire jack that comes with the Mirage is good enough for changing a flat tire on the side of the road? I own an expensive hydraulic jack but it is very heavy and would prefer to minimize the weight I am carrying around.

Has anyone changed a flat tyre already with the included jack? i also recommend all to do a mock run at home because the Mirage tire jack is not the most intuitive. In fact without instructions I think 75% of Americans would not even be able to figure out how to remove the jack from under the drivers seat. And then they would ask "Where is the handle of the jack?"

Last edited by fc321; 05-24-2018 at 02:05 PM.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Short answer: yes it's good enough. If you're expecting a trunk monkey to change it for you then you'll be sadly disappointed.

It's better than a can of fix a flat and a compressor than many cars come with instead of a spare. Try using that when you hit a pothole that bends the wheel so bad you lose all air.

Sadly I think you're right most people probably couldn't change a tire themselves. And....... as I type this one of our cars has a flat on the highway..... I guess I'll report back tomorrow if the driver is able to figure it out cause they're on their own, I'm going home in 20 mins.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-26-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've used my floor jack in a parking lot with no problem. It's not rocket science. It's a floor jack.

But back to your question, if you have to ask, then the answer for you would be no. Call AAA.

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Last edited by Marklovski; 05-23-2018 at 11:52 PM.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    Do you think the included tire jack that comes with the Mirage is good enough for changing a flat tire on the side of the road?
    Sure it is. I used mine when I put on my snow tires back in December. My twelve-year old daughter helped. It's good to practice before you really need it. Also, the design isn't all that unusual these days. I think it's clever, compact, lightweight and sufficiently effective. Keep in mind it's not meant to be in regular heavy-duty use in a service garage.

Give it a whirl - you'll be alright.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    The jack included with the Mirage works just fine. You won't see NASCAR pit crews using them, though.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    I can't get to my car right now...otherwise I'd go look and answer these questions myself...

1. Is the lug wrench one of those tiny things that's about 10 inches long...so when a tire shop cranks on your lug nuts with an impact, you won't be able to get them off when you need to? I've been in that situation more than once with other cars (that weren't mine) with inadequate lug wrenches. I always re-torque the lugnuts myself...but most people don't think about it.
    2. Why is the jack under the driver's seat and not in the well with the spare tire...like this? Is the Mirage spare too small for the jack to fit inside of it?

I guess I'll take a minute or two this weekend to try out the OEM jack.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Seriously folks, the jack and spare tire work fine. I used them both around 30k miles.

Being that I am at 200k miles and do my own work, I think I might know what I am doing.

If you are too scared to use a jack, you might be better off just calling AAA.

College educated people amaze me sometimes.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    My twelve-year old daughter helped.
    And now she has a skill that many adults aren't capable of.

This thread reminds me of an episode on the Angry Grandpa Show where Pickleboy just stood around like an idiot crying about a flat tire.

Here is some more advice folks. Check the air pressure in your spare once in a while. That tire won't do you much good if it's flat when you need it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    And now she has a skill that many adults aren't capable of.

This thread reminds me of an episode on the Angry Grandpa Show where Pickleboy just stood around like an idiot crying about a flat tire.

Here is some more advice folks. Check the air pressure in your spare once in a while. That tire won't do you much good if it's flat when you need it.
    Why do you keep mentioning AAA? I was asking about whether the jack is good enough to use on a flat tire and if I can leave my hydraulic jack at home.

It appears that you are trying to put me down and to be insulting? FYI: We did not all have a Father figure in our lives growing up to teach us skills that you apparently think that all men know. As far as tire pressure in the doughnut I carry a pump that plugs into the cigarette lighter so I would just pump it up to pressure when I need to use it (else the air will escape after a few days as you know).

@Marlovsky: I actually bought the cheapest bottle jack from Harbor Freight Tools for around $15 and it turned out that it was too tall to fit under the Mirage at the jack point. Very frustrating because it was less than an inch too tall. But Im glad I tried it out in the parking lot of Harbor Freight so I was able to return it for a refund right away.

2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)