Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is the included tire jack good enough?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    One concern with a bottle jack is that the top of it is very small. So you don't have a lot of contact with the car. It's easy for a bottle jack to slip...or bend the lifting point of the car if it's not in the right spot. Spend a couple of bucks and get a jacking puck for the top of it. It will help spread the lifting load and keep the top of the jack from slipping.

If you're super-cheap, go down to Play-It-Again Sports and buy a used hockey puck for $3 and make your own.

Name:  jack.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  84.6 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

highwire (06-26-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    One concern with a bottle jack is that the top of it is very small. So you don't have a lot of contact with the car. It's easy for a bottle jack to slip...or bend the lifting point of the car if it's not in the right spot. Spend a couple of bucks and get a jacking puck for the top of it. It will help spread the lifting load and keep the top of the jack from slipping.

If you're super-cheap, go down to Play-It-Again Sports and buy a used hockey puck for $3 and make your own.

Name:  jack.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  84.6 KB
    These are all great suggestions and I would use the puck if my bottle jack had more than 1/2" between the rail points. I was able to lift an inch testing it out, and it looked fairly sturdy. There are 4 grooves more than 1" on the bottle contact so I will line one up with the car's rail so it is parallel and not going over the bumps on the bottle jack's contact (in the yellow pic you included).

I also plan to have my jack stands ready and next to the side of the car so as soon as it reaches the height of the jack stand, I slide them underneath. I don't plan to do lift the car for a while (months or a year), since I just bought it for future use. I have done in the past though.

This is starting to turn into a highwire act. Glad I am also a balance artist. Name:  91114955-circus-sea-seal-standing-on-the-podium-and-balancing-with-a-big-ball-on-the-nose- (1).jpg
Views: 422
Size:  57.2 KB

For some more interesting balance, check out this

Quote Originally Posted by FrugalDriver View Post
    Has anybody used the jack on rusted Mirages?

I live in upstate NY, and I am unable to own a car beyond 15 years of age because the body rusts to the point where my foot will go through the floor
    I have. My first Mirage might have been one of the rustiest ones on this forum, but even at 6 years in the rust belt, failures from structural rust are more than a few years away.

You seem to have the idea that bad rust is inevitable. It isn't. Just get your car regularly Krowned/fluid film/oil sprayed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)