Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirage Center Console w/ Arm Rest

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I ordered the 06-10 Yaris armrest from E-bay. Cost was $35.99 with free shipping.

Installed it yesterday and it is a great addition. You do have to cut the nub off the bottom of the armrest, which I'm assuming is used to anchor is securely in a Yarls. About 2 minutes with a saw took care of that, with a bit of cleanup of the cut with a sharp chisel.

Added some packaging foam that we had laying around from a Harry & David fruit delivery, which was the perfect length to go around the armrest cup holder insert. Cut a round piece for the bottom and in it went.

I haven't decided whether to secure it further with the included screws, as it seems pretty stable as it is. Looks great and provides a needed place for the right elbow to rest.

Nice features include the opening top; removable tray to hold coins, etc.; and a rear fold down cup holder, so you don't lose the one available for the back seat. Even the covering looks and feels like leather (I'm guessing it is some imitation, but is looks nice).

This is a great addition. The fit is near OEM and the price is right.

Packaging was generic, not an official Yaris part apparently, but designed to fit multiple applications.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm still loving the armrest.

Only 2 issues I've encountered so far are:

1. Wife likes the armrest too and we find ourselves bumping elbows while driving. The Yaris armrest is great for one, a bit small for two users. Kind of like flying coach and having to share an armrest with the passenger next to you.

2. With a bit of added padding, the armrest fits snugly into the rear cup holder. This still leaves some side to side wobble due to the mounting of the center console. Seems to be just plastic, with no substantial mounting points towards the rear of the console.

Anybody been successful adding some support to the rear cup holder area of the center console?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kerc View Post
    Just screwed it in. It's quite solid, in fact, the only slight wobbling is caused by the factory console base not being anchored solidly to the floor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    I did tell you about the console not quite being anchored in... Let me know if you find a better way to anchor the console.
    Quote Originally Posted by kerc View Post
    I'll take a detailed look this weekend, and try to see if there's a way to stabilize that base. It's not that bad, though. I could live with it the way it is now.
    See quoted above from the previous page.

The only benefit from screwing the armrest in would be that it wont move/twist.

You are right in assuming that the wobbling is because of the base of the console and how it's anchored.

I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but the pictures of the OEM armrest is actually SMALLER/SHORTER than this one. With that said, if you're already having problems with rubbing elbows, the OEM one wont help either.

Fact is: the car is just too small for any elbow support. That, I think, is the reason why we didnt get it standard.

I always thought married people love to rub each other

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I looked at my console and there is a small door at the rear of it. Opening that up shows that there is one bolt holding down the plastic console. The access door is for adjusting the emergency brake cables.

Looks like some sort of reinforcing could be done through this opening, using the single anchor point to provide some lateral reinforcement for the plastic.

Not sure what this would be, or how effective it would be, but you do have access to the bottom of the rear seat cup holder from this opening, so you could use a bolt and nut approach to anchor the armrest, if you wanted.

As pointed out earlier, this would just help with twisting of the armrest, not provide any side to side motion control.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    HAD to get one after all these stellar reviews!
    OTW (slow boat from China - literally)
    ゼロ

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 33.4 mpg (US) ... 14.2 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've enjoyed mine. Looks good with the rest of the interior and I have gotten used to the sideways movement of the armrest when pushed towards the driver's or passenger side of the vehicle. Most of the time I'm just using it to rest my elbow.

I found the storage opening under the cover of the arm rest is a perfect place to store my phone while in the car.

I hope you enjoy yours.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is why i love forums... off to peruse Egouge for a Yaris arm rest !

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I git mine from a US seller for about $36 with free shipping. Arrived in a couple of days.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    aydu - thanks for this:

1. Wife likes the armrest too and we find ourselves bumping elbows while driving. The Yaris armrest is great for one, a bit small for two users. Kind of like flying coach and having to share an armrest with the passenger next to you

So I kind of know what's in store if I buy a 2015 or 2016 Toyota Yaris. Bumping elbows a bit. We do in our '08 Lancer GTS already so I'm just thinking ahead. I'll just go with the Yaris one and it'll do us fine.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Installed the Yaris Armrest and it's working great. From the front seat it looks OEM.
    Name:  DSC00203.jpg
Views: 2472
Size:  96.1 KB