Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SRS Airbag light after disconnecting front impact sensor with battery connected

Country
    Panama
    Thanks

Unhappy SRS Airbag light after disconnecting front impact sensor with battery connected

Hi guys, I know what I did was very dumb and maybe dangerous but now I know I should disconnect the battery before messing with airbag sensors. I disconnected the front impact sensor by mistake, I thought it was the engine fan connection. So now when I start the car the airbag light won't turn off, I disconnected the battery like for 1 hour and it still appears. My question is: Is there any way to turn it off like a diy, or I need to visit the dealership?
    Thank you very much!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've had this happen before. Disconnect both cables from battery and touch them together and hold for five minutes. Then reconnect to battery and see if it helps. Make sure sensor is connected before you do this though.
    (blank signature)

Country
    Panama
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    I've had this happen before. Disconnect both cables from battery and touch them together and hold for five minutes. Then reconnect to battery and see if it helps. Make sure sensor is connected before you do this though.
    Hi, thank you! But I tried this and sadly it didn't work

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kreimerka View Post
    Hi, thank you! But I tried this and sadly it didn't work
    Did you just disconnect or did you also touch both + and - together?
    (blank signature)

Country
    Panama
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    Did you just disconnect or did you also touch both + and - together?
    Yes, both cables together. But the light stays on.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Probably means a trip to the dealership.

Older vehicles with airbags had simpler systems. If the fault in the system that triggered the warning light were corrected...ie the sensor was plugged back in...the airbag computer would assume all was now well and turn the light off.

But modern airbag systems see this sort of thing as a possible recurring intermittent fault that needs to be investigated. Therefore, the airbag light will stay lit until a technician examines the system and manually turns the warning light off.

Somebody else here tripped an airbag light while dealing with a soaked seat. I think they had to go to the dealership to have the light taken care of.

What he said Need a scan tool that will look up airbag codes for Mitsubishi. You might luck out by hooking up and unhooking the battery a few times but I doubt it. All that touching the cables together does it drain any power left in the capacitors which might clear some codes sometimes.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You will have to visit the dealership. I made a similar mistake about 100k miles ago.

I removed the carpet for pressure washing without disconnecting the car battery. You have to disconnect the seats which have airbag connectors to get the carpet out.

The first dealership I went to wanted to charge me $125 to reset the code.

I went to a second dealership that did it for free. It took about two minutes.

Now I disconnect the car battery before I touch any electrical connections.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (05-28-2018)

Country
    Panama
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Probably means a trip to the dealership.

Older vehicles with airbags had simpler systems. If the fault in the system that triggered the warning light were corrected...ie the sensor was plugged back in...the airbag computer would assume all was now well and turn the light off.

But modern airbag systems see this sort of thing as a possible recurring intermittent fault that needs to be investigated. Therefore, the airbag light will stay lit until a technician examines the system and manually turns the warning light off.

Somebody else here tripped an airbag light while dealing with a soaked seat. I think they had to go to the dealership to have the light taken care of.
    Thank you! I called to a auto shop today, they will charge me 25$ for the reset. The dealership wanted to charge me 120$

Country
    Panama
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    You will have to visit the dealership. I made a similar mistake about 100k miles ago.

I removed the carpet for pressure washing without disconnecting the car battery. You have to disconnect the seats which have airbag connectors to get the carpet out.

The first dealership I went to wanted to charge me $125 to reset the code.

I went to a second dealership that did it for free. It took about two minutes.

Now I disconnect the car battery before I touch any electrical connections.

Yeah!! The dealership wants to charge me 120$ and a local auto shop is charging me 25$ for the reset, that's crazy! Thank you!