Thread: 20% of the time, I can't get into reverse.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

20% of the time, I can't get into reverse.

Like, legit locked out.

1st then reverse, still no go. Pop clutch to spin flywheel, no go. Ram it like mad, no go. No grinding, I'm just ramming teeth against teeth, so I have to lurch it forward real quick and grind it into reverse while moving forward.

2018, 13,000km, dealer is far away so willing to home remedy.

What's the guess for what is happening? Just cheap ass transmission? Or is something amiss.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mine has always been stubborn about going into reverse. Never completely locked out, though. Just fidgety.

Maybe shift cables out of adjustment?
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Could be a bushing or something in the shifter assembly has failed. That is the first thing I would check. These transmissions are kinda notchy and balky from the factory, but it sounds like you have a deeper issue.

Best thing I did for mine was swapping the factory fill trans oil for Redline MTL. Please keep us posted!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    There are times where I HAVE to let my clutch out a bit to get the shifter to engage reverse, but never a scenario where it just wont ever go in (i'm over 100k miles!)... something is wrong. I don't know about dealers there (here, I barely trust them), but I think I would risk it with such a new vehicle... get it looked at my friend...
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Mine does the same thing. I usually spin the input shaft a bit to allow the gear teeth to mesh. I don't get upset over it because it works like every other manual transmission I have ever driven.

Modern manual transmissions still don't synchronize reverse, and this is the result. It sure makes me appreciate synchronizers. Maybe it's a manufacturer's way to sell more automatic transmissions. Well, it won't work on me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    There are times where I HAVE to let my clutch out a bit to get the shifter to engage reverse
    Normally I'll row through a few forward gears and then try to engage reverse. If that doesn't work, I'll apply slight pressure against the shifter as far as it will go in reverse...while at the same time slowly releasing the clutch. The shifter will almost always drop right into reverse at this point.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Change out the trans oil for Redline MTL. It takes about 20 minutes, and helps a LOT with these transmissions.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (05-30-2018)

I don't have any 5spd cars here so I haven't run into that one. One suggestion though, rather than grind the shat out your gears just turn the car of then put it in reverse. At least until you can get a dealer to take a look at it. Or maybe adjust your clutch cable and see if that helps?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Worth a try. Adjustment is simple on these cars:

Thread: HOW TO: Adjust clutch engagement point - Mitsubishi Mirage / Space Star

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)