Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metallic Screeching sound (Rear brake)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Metallic Screeching sound (Rear brake)

Hey,
    I am a new comer here and I come bundled with a question !

I am not a mechanic, but there's some stuff I have always done myself on my cars, like changing brakes.
    Recently, I changed my rear brake shoe. For some reason, the passenger side shoe was much more used than the driver side shoe.

Since the replacement, I am hearing a metallic screeching sound when braking at low speed. It seem to be coming from the passenger side. Is it possible I did something wrong? I am a bit out of idea.

I also started noticing recently a different screeching sound coming from my fronts wheel when I turn too much (turning the wheel all the way when taking a sharp corner, for exemple) would you guys have any idea on this?

If I can't come up with a solution, I will bring the car to a dealership. But I would rather fix it myself, as it is not a good time monetary for me.

Thanks everyone!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pa7rick View Post
    Hey,
    I am a new comer here and I come bundled with a question !
    Hello pa7rick and welcome to the forum.

Troubleshooting without being in front of the problem has it's limitations. The sound you are describing from the rear could be a new braking material that is somehow different than what was on there originally. Or it could be a piece of debris trapped - this could be particles of rust, dirt or stones from the road. This could also possibly apply to the front wheels, though I'm inclined to wonder if maybe they are simply worn out and also need replacing. Have you done a visual inspection on the braking systems?

There's forum members here with more mechanical expertise. This should be an easy problem to solve.

Again, welcome.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    When washing your car make sure to blast the brakes with jet. I'm assuming rocks and such. I'm not sure about the rear brakes. Never changed drum brakes myself before.

Is your car lowered? I only noticed screeching after I lowered my car. I'm guessing its the tie-rod or tires rubbing on something.
    Last edited by Marklovski; 06-01-2018 at 10:26 AM.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

If it's a rock in the backing plate(front) usually it'll fall out if you remove the wheel. The front wear indicators seem to start scraping when there's still a fair bit of material left. I believe the service manual says to replace them much sooner than I would. I take the wear indicators and throw them in the garbage. I check the brakes once a month at least so there's no worry of going down to metal on metal.

For the back (with the wheels off the ground) are the wheel hard to turn at all. Can you hear the noise when spinning it or just when when using the brakes? If it does it all the time take the drums off and take a look for anything that's shiny that has been rubbing. If it only makes noise when you use the brakes make sure the backing plates have a bit of brake lube where the shoes make contact. That's a common source of noise from the rear.
    Last edited by Fummins; 06-01-2018 at 01:53 PM. Reason: I like turtles
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Something I had happen on the front disk brakes of a Saturn years ago. I suppose a similar thing could happen to drums.

I don't usually have the rotors "turned" (machined flat) when I do brake pads. Rotors on all of my cars have always been so cheap, and the cost of turning rotors these days so high, that it just doesn't make economic sense to me. I just replace the rotors every 2nd or 3rd pad change and call it good.

So, that's what I did on my wife's Saturn. We'd gone through two sets of pads and were on the third set. The rotors still looked fine, so I was going to let them go until the next time around. No worries.

Then my wife started complaining about a rattly/scrapy kind of noise at low speed. Try as I might, I couldn't find the noise! I could hear it, just couldn't pin it down. I even went as far as to make the wild assumption that it was the timing chain tensioner failing (a common problem on that model) and replaced that. Still had the mysterious noise. You could consistently hear it when making slow speed left turns in a parking lot.

Eventually, I found the problem! The problem was that two sets of brake pads had worn into the rotors and left a small lip on the inside edge (where I couldn't see it) outer circumference of the rotor. Like maybe 1/16" or so. But, it was there, you could see it and feel it. Apparently, the footprint of the new brake pads were ever so slightly larger than the old pads. Under the force of light cornering, the inner pad fell outward and made contact the edge of this groove and rattled against it!

New rotors. Problem solved.

So, if you've gotten a lot of wear on your drums... it's possible that you could have a similar problem. The shoes riding in a groove, and rubbing against the edge of that groove.

Regarding more wear on one side than the other: Make sure your brake cylinder isn't binding, and that every part of the drum brake system is moving freely with a tiny bit of high-temp brake lube in all the right places. More wear on one side means that one side is hanging up a little bit. (or possibly even frozen)
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply everyone!
    Here are some more specification:
    The car is not lowered (or modified in any way apart from installing a remote starter and rear view camera)
    all 4 wheels are brand new, freshly installed for the summer.
    This sunday I will do as many checks as I can on what you guys suggested. I will report back!
    Thanks again.

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Whats your tire size?
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Also, I don't think it's been mentioned but the self-adjusters need to be reset. Also let us know how many clicks you use to engage your parking brake.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Loren (06-02-2018)

What size wheels do you have? If you're getting a noise at full lock one or both directions check if the inside of your wheel is rubbing on the inner tie rod. Caused by wrong offset or too wide of wheels.

And to set the adjusters if I recall you just hit the brakes or pull the e-brake.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hey everyone,
    Just wanted to say a quick sorry for not updating you on my issues. I have not actually looked at them yet, time made a fool of myself again. I will look at everything you guys mentioned tomorrow.
    How do I reset the self-adjuster, and how do I know if they are adjusted properly?

My tire are 14Inch. I will give you the specs a bit later tonight or tomorrow, when I go outside.

Thanks!