Thread: Roller Cam Retrofit?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Roller Cam Retrofit?

Wondering if anyone knows some things...

The new 2017+ engine puts out 4 more HP and has roller rockers on the cams. Is the additional power from the hardware change, or is it unrelated and just due to retuning the ECU? Or does the power come from more cam lift that is made possible by the roller rockers?

Assuming the roller hardware adds power, would it be best to swap the whole head? Or can just the rocker gear be swapped? Is the cam the same, or would it need to be swapped, too?

I'm not looking to do this anytime soon... but, if it's EASY, maybe next year. And easy and cheap 4hp is worth pursuing on this car!

With whole engines going for under $500 in salvage, a head should be dirt cheap.

Simplify and add lightness.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Angrybeaver (06-02-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    IMHO Not worth the effort.
    I had the 2014 Mirage and now a '17 "GT". The extra horses are unnoticeable and fuel economy suffers over the older version.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    The gains come from several engine adjustments. The cam is just one of them.

See this thread for a full list.

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...ver-the-years)

That being said, I would imagine that it does drop right in and will give a small increase is power.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Loren (06-02-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh, I do remember looking at that thread before. Good stuff!

So, the rollers are integrated into the camshaft. No changes to the lifters. And this car doesn't use rockers at all. The last engine I had open was a 1.3 Festiva engine with a rocker shaft and rocker arms... I totally wasn't thinking twin-cam with direct-acting hydraulic lifters!

Unless the roller cam provides more valve lift, there's probably not enough benefit to make it a worthwhile swap.

But, maybe that coupled with the low-friction timing chain might add up to a tiny bit of improvement?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    Oh, I do remember looking at that thread before. Good stuff!

So, the rollers are integrated into the camshaft. No changes to the lifters. And this car doesn't use rockers at all. The last engine I had open was a 1.3 Festiva engine with a rocker shaft and rocker arms... I totally wasn't thinking twin-cam with direct-acting hydraulic lifters!

Unless the roller cam provides more valve lift, there's probably not enough benefit to make it a worthwhile swap.

But, maybe that coupled with the low-friction timing chain might add up to a tiny bit of improvement?
    I believe the lifters in the Mirage are solid.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh, are they shimmed? Is there an interval for checking/adjusting them?

Most VVT engines seem to have gone away from hydraulic lifters. I wonder if there's a reason for that?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    Oh, are they shimmed? Is there an interval for checking/adjusting them?

Most VVT engines seem to have gone away from hydraulic lifters. I wonder if there's a reason for that?
    They aren't shimmed, but have replaceable 'buckets' available in different thicknesses if the valve train gets out of spec. There is a procedure for checking them, but adjustment shouldn't be necessary under normal conditions. The checking procedures and replacement buckets are offered for the purpose of engine rebuilding, not maintenance.

This was a very contentious topic in the early days of this forum because the owner's manual isn't clear on these points. Somebody finally emailed Mitsubishi and got the straight scoop on valve adjustment procedures (or the lack thereof).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Loren (06-04-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Interesting. Sounds like another one of the ways Mitsubishi made the car less expensive by using fewer parts. I love that about this car!