Thread: Lube Chassis: How often and How to do it

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Lube Chassis: How often and How to do it

Does anyone know how often we need to Lubricate the Chassis? And where the lubrication points are located?

I notice that on "Oil Change Specials" they always say that the mechanic will "lube the chassis and top-off all fluids" But i have never seen them do anything as far as "lube the chassis" when I watch them.

Look what I got in the mail from the Dealership below. What egregious over-charging prices. I circled the 2 worst ones which have parts that cost 10$ and take less than 5 minutes to perform.

Boy, if these are the price with a coupon I would hate to see the REGULAR prices. Sheesh.

2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

There are no grease fitting on the Mirage. Maybe they give customers a shot of lube in the bum to help with the pain. $100 brake flush is a good deal too .
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

fc321 (06-05-2018),Pryme (06-11-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, they're harkening back to days long past. I mean LONG past. Most passenger cars went to sealed suspension joints by the early 90's! But, the old phrase "lube, oil and filter" refuses to die, even though there's really nothing for them to "lube", and hasn't been for 20+ years.

Read the service section of your owners manual. Do what it says.

Check your tire pressures from time to time.
    Simplify and add lightness.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

fc321 (06-05-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wow, if thats the case then this is flagrant false advertising. See below.

2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, they ain't gonna "lube" anything.

But, if you ask them about it (unless they want to make up a lie), they'll tell you that they're lubricating things like your door hinges. That will be their out. Door hinges are part of the chassis. In theory, they're supposed to be lubed periodically. That's what they'll say they are doing.
    Simplify and add lightness.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

fc321 (06-05-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    Yeah, they're harkening back to days long past. I mean LONG past. Most passenger cars went to sealed suspension joints by the early 90's! But, the old phrase "lube, oil and filter" refuses to die, even though there's really nothing for them to "lube", and hasn't been for 20+ years.

Read the service section of your owners manual. Do what it says.

Check your tire pressures from time to time.
    My 16 Tundra still has some Zerks to lube. I don't think any other truck from "The big 3" has any though. They are all throw away parts now. Toyota still believes in serviceable parts. They still have a drain plug in the rear diff too

My old 82 pickup has zerks all over the place. But that's 36 years old

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

fc321 (06-12-2018)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    QUOTE: " Wow, if thats the case then this is flagrant false advertising. See picture below. "

A dealer advertising a chassis lube today, is walking on a thin divide, and is knowingly benefiting from the witlessness of the average customer. I would point my finger way up and never go there again!
    The only thing remaining to be occaisionally lubed are door hinges.

I remember in the late 50's and up to the mid 60's watching how chassis were lubed with a grease gun, and that had to happen about every three to six months, much more frequently than the oil got changed. There were pins in the front axles, joints in the drive shaft, the steering linkage, etc etc. In those days, for each hour of driving, you needed at least a quarter of an hour's maintenance. Those cars hardly lasted a decade, and only if well maintained. That is history and long gone.

There are a some four wheel drive vehicles around built with grease nipples for being lubed. The nipples are for ridding moisture and grime out of joints and hubs, particularly after driving through dirt, mud, water, and so on, but thats a totally different story.

Last edited by foama; 06-11-2018 at 07:00 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

fc321 (06-12-2018)