Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3/32 you know what time it is!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

3/32 you know what time it is!

I am due for tires soon after my fronts are at 3/32 and the back at 5/32. I did rotate them just now at close to 41k. I am looking in the near future for 175/65/14 but I want some quiet and comfortable tire. What do you recommend. I was a Michelin fan but no longer. I did look at some hankooks 724/727. Anything else you guys can think of?

mitsu's in the family

2024 Mirage SE

2021 Mirage ES CVT (Sold)
    2021 Outlander Sport 2.0 ES CVT (trade in)
    2018 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT (ex wife's car, crashed)
    2017 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT Smartphone Link Display Audio (SDA) System(Crashed)
    2015 Lancer SE 2.4 AWC (sold)
    2014 Mirage DE 1.2 Manual and BT (sold)
    2004 Galant DE (mom's sold)
    2000 Mirage DE 1.8 Auto (sold)
    1988 Cordia L Turbo (trade in)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I'm running Federal SS657's and they are pretty quiet. WallyWorld can get our oddball size too for $50 a tire. I have it delivered to my local store and the tire guys install them as a in store purchase, no additional carry in charge.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

fc321 (06-06-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

Federal tires

Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I'm running Federal SS657's and they are pretty quiet. WallyWorld can get our oddball size too for $50 a tire. I have it delivered to my local store and the tire guys install them as a in store purchase, no additional carry in charge.
    In my area, Cooper tires are popular. Cooper usually runs some type of rebate on their tires in both the spring & fall. I've been very happy with Cooper tires. Having said that, Cooper doesn't make a 165/65r14 tire.

When the times comes for me to replace my tires, I see myself trying the Federal SS657 165/65R14 79T BSW Touring HP. Walmart and simpletires.com carry them, & the prices aren't bad (presently $50.47 with free shipping @ Walmart). Like Inuvik suggested, I don't have a problem with Walmart mounting/balancing the tires on my steel rims.

Simpletires.com has tire sales at various times. My local mechanic would mount them for me without issue, too. I haven't had my Mirage all that long, & other options may came up before I need tires. If I needed tires today, the Federal tires seem to be a less expensive option worth exploring.

Unless there are really no other options, I don't see myself ever using tires that are slightly the wrong size. The Mirage is a small light car. Skinny tires on it don't bother me, especially if it helps in the mpg department. I drove a lighter car than a Mirage that had 145SR12 tires for 14 years. Tires were never an issue. I bought a Mirage because I wanted cheap reliable transportation, & that includes not spending a fortune on tires.

Has anyone had a bad experience with Federal tires? Reviews seem ok.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

fc321 (06-06-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I bought a Mirage because I wanted cheap reliable transportation, & that includes not spending a fortune on tires.
    I try to keep the operating cost per mile of my car low, that's why I spent money on quality tires. Wait...what?

Just because a tire fits and has a low price doesn't mean it makes economic sense.

Things to consider...

1. How well are the tires made? (Check this thread and be sure to read post #18)
    2. How well do they handle in all season conditions?
    3. Are they noisy?
    4. How long do they last?
    5. How deep is the tread? All new tires don't have the same tread depth. Enasaves are a perfect example. A new Enasave only has 9/32" of tread depth while many other tires have 11/32".
    6. Are they low rolling resistance? If a tire reduces your fuel economy 1-1.5mpg, how much additional fuel will you be paying for over the life of that tire? With gasoline at $3+/gallon, a more expensive fuel efficient tire may pay for itself over time.

If price is a primary factor, consider a package deal from Discount Tire Direct and get a set of new wheels with your new tires...

For the price of 4 generic tires at Wal-Mart, you might be able to get a new set of wheels AND tires mounted/balanced and shipped to your house for the same price. Just time your purchase with Discount Tire rebates and it's possible. Check this thread: New set of wheels and tires for $214

My final bit of bloviating...

My personal preference is to ditch 14" wheels and go to 15" wheels with a more common tire size. I have 185-55-15 tires on 15x6.5 wheels. This tire size is used on multiple late-model small cars like the Fit/Spark/Aveo/Mazda-2/Fiat 500/etc. This will open up a larger selection of tires to you while at the same time improving the appearance of your car dramatically. These tires are so close in diameter to 165-65-14s that you won't notice any difference in your speedometer (it's off by 1.5mph @ 60mph).

I put about 20-25K a year on my Mirage. A $50 tire doesn't appeal to me if it only lasts 40-50K miles and it's not low rolling resistance. I'm hoping to get 90-100K miles out of the 185-55-15 tires I'm running right now. Yeah...these are "top-tier" name-brand tires that cost $85 apiece (after rebate), but they are also low rolling resistance. The fuel savings will easily pay for the price difference over time.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

fc321 (06-06-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    @Inuvik (Ref: Walmart Federal Tires)

How much has this affected your gas mileage (compared to Enasave) and how has it affected your rolling resistance (ability to keep rolling when you take your foot off the accelerator) ?

My stock Enasaves are so good at LRR that alot of times I have to press the brakes because even coasting in Neutral I will catch up to the car in front of me (Even though the car in front of me is auto and still in gear with their foot on the accelerator)

You guys may not believe this but I am in the habit of turning off the engine 1 and a half blocks away from my home and the car will roll in Neutral all the way home

@TopFuel, (Ref: upgrading to 15 wheels and tyres)

But if you change the wheels wont you need to change all the TPMS sensors and have to pay Mitsubishi dealer for the expensive reprogramming?
    Last edited by fc321; 06-06-2018 at 04:01 PM.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    ...if you change the wheels wont you need to change all the TPMS sensors and have to pay Mitsubishi dealer for the expensive reprogramming?
    If you swap your existing TPMS sensors into your new wheels, the Mirage's TPMS system will continue to recognize them and no programming is required.

You only need the dealership involved if you install one or more new TPMS sensors in your wheels. If you buy a wheel/tire package on-line from Discount Tire Direct or Tire Rack, they will install new sensors in the wheels for a reasonable cost (if you want them). But in both of these cases, you would have to pay for programming from the dealer. I'm still working with a TPMS vendor to get the software to do this without the dealer.

Some people decide not to use TPMS sensors in their new wheels and just live with the TPMS light on all the time. That's not my preference...but some people do it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    @Inuvik (Ref: Walmart Federal Tires)

How much has this affected your gas mileage (compared to Enasave) and how has it affected your rolling resistance (ability to keep rolling when you take your foot off the accelerator) ?
    I would say not much, in town no change really. Pure highway mileage maybe 1 mpg? I put 2 new Federal's on the front last year in July and replaced the rears just a couple of months ago. If you look at my fuel log for the last 3 years I don't really see much of a change.

http://mirageforum.com/forum/em-fuel...vehicleid=7358

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So after two weeks for searching and narrowing down what tires to get I could not resist some Starfire RS C 2.0 175/65/14 at pep boys for 132 OTD plus 77 installation, 209 total. Its hard to find tires in this size unless is a brand name and cost over 50 or more. These ones seem to get great online ratting, even better than some Arizonian and Barum I was offered. Kinda wanted the barums but they are only summer tires and asymmetrical tire!
    Last edited by remusrm; 06-23-2018 at 01:59 AM.
    mitsu's in the family

2024 Mirage SE

2021 Mirage ES CVT (Sold)
    2021 Outlander Sport 2.0 ES CVT (trade in)
    2018 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT (ex wife's car, crashed)
    2017 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT Smartphone Link Display Audio (SDA) System(Crashed)
    2015 Lancer SE 2.4 AWC (sold)
    2014 Mirage DE 1.2 Manual and BT (sold)
    2004 Galant DE (mom's sold)
    2000 Mirage DE 1.8 Auto (sold)
    1988 Cordia L Turbo (trade in)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to remusrm For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (06-23-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

Starfire tires

Quote Originally Posted by remusrm View Post
    So after two weeks for searching and narrowing down what tires to get I could not resist some Starfire RS C 2.0 175/65/14 at pep boys for 132 OTD plus 77 installation, 209 total. Its hard to find tires in this size unless is a brand name and cost over 50 or more. These ones seem to get great online ratting, even better than some Arizonian and Barum I was offered. Kinda wanted the barums but they are only summer tires and asymmetrical tire!
    I've had good luck with Cooper tires. Cooper tires makes Starfire, Roadmaster, Mastercraft, and few other tire brands. Just like Dunlops are associated with Goodyear, & Bridgestone are connected to Firestone.

I hope you are happy with them. After using the Starfires for a time, please let us know what you think of them. Farm & Fleet stores in my area carry Starfire as one of their tire brands. Thus, they are not real uncommon around here.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Keep us posted on how you like them. Are these the tires?

Starfire RS-C 2.0 175/65R14