Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Member From Ohio,USA

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Sounds like some cool first mods.

Just an FYI, but the speedlab intake will not bolt up to the US Mirage engine. It was made for Mirages without a MAF sensor. Some modification will be required to run it on your car.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the warning! Does the community have a solution for that yet??

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 37.4 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I have designed a MAF sensor housing. It allows you to make your own custom intake.

Here are some pictures.

Installed example:

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Alright thanks, I'll be sure to pick one up when I decide to get the intake

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 37.4 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts

tire conversions

Quote Originally Posted by AssassinTime14 View Post
    I've choose the Konig Lighting (R15) in blue and some Riken Raptor HR tires (185/65/15)
    185/65/15 tires are quite a jump in tire diameter (over 2" more than a 165/65r14 tire). 185/55r15 would give you less than an inch difference in diameter, and you will most likely find as many options.

Speedometer/odometer readings really come down to tire diameter. I would look at some tire comparison sites before making a final decision. Just something to think about before spending all that extra money.

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Daox (06-22-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I personally want some beefier tires to stop problems like hydroplaning and better traction in the snow. I've read that this size is about the biggest I can fit in our little mirages lol

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    I personally want some beefier tires to stop problems like hydroplaning
    I don't think beefier tires will help against hydroplaning. It's all about contact surface, and so the most skinny tires will give the least hydroplaning.

contact surface = car weight / tire pressure

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Space Wolf For This Useful Post:

Daox (07-20-2018),Gnarles2 (07-23-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I personally want some beefier tires to stop problems like hydroplaning and better traction in the snow. I've read that this size is about the biggest I can fit in our little mirages lol
    Having driven my mirage in 4 Cleveland, OH winters (jesus has it been that long) I have found the little stock guys were wonderful with a good set of snow tires. Also Mentor Mitsubishi has been awesome for me. Good place to go too.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rkt Ship For This Useful Post:

Gnarles2 (07-23-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts

Stick with narrow tires for snow.

Speaking from years of driving small front wheel drive cars, adding wide tires is the worst thing you can do for snow traction. If your goal is to go through snow and climb hill roads in the winter, Dunlop Winter Maxx WM02 or Nokian Nordman 7 snow tires in the 165/65r14 size are good bets. I would go narrower than this before going wider! I am totally convinced that wider tires are not better for snow traction, especially with small lightweight cars.

My 1990 Ford Festiva had 145SR12 tires, & it was unstoppable in snow. I lived on a ridge (still do) that required going up a road that didn’t get much sunlight during Wisconsin winters. At times, I used 155SR12 tires on that car, but the 145SR12 tires were better in the snow. We are talking about a small car that only weighed a little over 1700 pounds. I never found or needed 12” snow tires for the Festiva.

Meanwhile, we owned other cars like the VW Golf. The Golf was horrible in snow. Even though the car had more weight, the wider tires didn’t provide the snow traction of the Festiva. The Golf had to have snow tires and even then it didn’t do as well. The VW Golf was probably the one of the best handling cars I ever drove in the summer, but its wider lower profile tires were not great in snow.

My cousin presently drives a more current KIA Optima. It has very wide low profile tires. If he is my driveway in the spring when the ground is soft, his rims are practically in the dirt. He’s bought tires recommended to be better in snow, but his car is still terrible in the snow. It’s so bad that he bought a used pickup as a second vehicle, & he lives and drives in around the city of Milwaukee. He love how his car handles, but he hates the ride. I hear him complain about it almost every time I see him. He paid 3.5 times more for his car than my present Mirage.

I am not trying to exaggerate on all this, but there were times where I would drive home during bad weather with my Festiva. I would pick up the tire chains for our other car (VW Golf or Plymouth Colt wagon, which was a Mitsubishi by the way). I would put the chains on the other car in our school parking so the other car could also climb the same hill road to get home.

There were also a number of times where I would go up and down our hill road and help stranded ladies with front wheel drive mini-vans. I would help them turn their car around (y-turn) and go back down the road, because there was no way they were going to climb the hill. Meanwhile I was zipping up and down it with a 1,700-pound car that had skinny 12” tires. During these years of owning our Festiva, my wife liked driving the Golf. It was a much nicer car. Even going down hill on snow covered roads, she had much more trouble keeping the Golf on the road. I didn’t experience any of those problems with the Festiva.

If you goal is to go through snow, adding a wider, lower profile tire is not the best route in my mind. It would take quite a bit to convince me otherwise. The steel wheels on the Mirage ES was one of the draws for me. I bought an extra pair of steel rims less than two months after buying the car last October. Adding snow tires to front and slapping on the plastic hubcaps was super easy.

I understand the desire for larger wider tires. They make the car look nicer. I get that. I, however, am not convinced that you are going to improve the economy of the car, or its ability to go through snow by doing this.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you guys so much! Taking space wolf's advice I should increase my tire pressure? I've had a few problems with hydroplaning so far, the snow has been fine with the stock steelies. Im going to keep my stock set for the winter as suggested, And the wider tires will be my clean looking summer set, with some added preformance was my goal. I thought that a wider tire would make the looks a bit more formidable, along with some nice rims. And what would you guys suggest as optimal tire pressure? And if the tire size I chose is too big, what would still get a similar look?