Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4 sec knocking after oil change

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

4 sec knocking after oil change

Hi All:

I normally get a 1 sec knock after changing oil and starting my 2015 Mirage. I try to get as much oil into the filter as I can. This time, I used Valvoline 0-20 and the car knocked for about 4 seconds. Probably more wear in that 5 seconds than in the whole 40k history of the car. Very troubling.

Does anyone have a trick for preventing this from happening AT ALL, short of buying a preoiling system?

Thank you

p.s. my last change was with Mobil 1 0-20 and it didnt knock at all, but it has in the past, even using Mobil 1, perhaps not for that long. I somehow think it might have happened w/any oil.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    What filter are you using? I wonder if it has an anti-drainback valve.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    What filter are you using? I wonder if it has an anti-drainback valve.
    As far as I know, they all do. This is a Fram ExtraGuard. I have read where Fram is not the high quality filter it used to be, but I used it previously and it was fine.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I noticed a knock too and use good oil filters and not cheap syn oil. I never heard it after changing oil but once in a while in very cold winter starts. Do you use ramps? I had a hyundai years ago do this all I did once everything was done was lower the car before starting it no knock.

I usually hear a rattle for a few seconds after an oil change. Some cars do it longer/louder than others. I wouldn't loose too much sleep over it. I've got one car here with 236xxxmiles(381xxxkms), still runs good after approx 32 oil changes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Daox (06-19-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hflaisher View Post
    This time, I used Valvoline 0-20 and the car knocked for about 4 seconds.
    Hey hflaisher any audio (or better/easier video) recordings of this? Is your engine still doing it?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hey hflaisher any audio (or better/easier video) recordings of this? Is your engine still doing it?
    No, unfortunately not, but it is less a knocking sound and more a vibration, constant abrasion sound. When I started this morning, had a brief noise for 1/2 sec, then went away. From now on, I am sticking w/Mobil 1. I seem to remember that it also knocked on that (1/2 sec on startup), but the last change I did was w/Mobil 1 and the car would start, no millisec knocking at all, quiet from the outset. All oils were the prescribed 0-20 and were full synthetics.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I usually hear a rattle for a few seconds after an oil change. Some cars do it longer/louder than others. I wouldn't loose too much sleep over it.
    +1.

Here is a fine example of the shortcomings of troubleshooting over the Internet - without the use of audio or video, what can we do?

Hopefully it's no big deal. Send in a sample for analysis at your next change and you'll know if it's anything to worry about.

Looking forward to seeing your updates on this.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I wouldn't loose too much sleep over it.
    I concur. Totally normal. Nothing to worry about.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I dont think it is normal. No car should make any grinding/knocking sound on startup for any amount of time. Perhaps its acceptable for under a second after a change, but under normal conditions, it should not happen. I will update when I next change, and it will be mobil 1 from now on if it solves this problem. Thank you for your opinions.