Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 4 sec knocking after oil change

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts

Make it a 2-stroke

I have always done my own oil changes. I've never been concerned about the short time it takes an oil filter to fill back up. If you warm up your car before changing the oil & start it back up shortly after that, I can't imagine the internal parts suddenly going dry in that short period of time.

I have a hard time believing oil filters filling back up are a big issue. If it is an issue, Mitsubishi should design a 2-stroke model. You just dump a little oil in the gas tank, and you never have to change oil again. Image the instant increase in horsepower & cool sound! I doubt California & some other states would go for this, but it would eliminate the oil change concern forever!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-21-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I have always done my own oil changes. I've never been concerned about the short time it takes an oil filter to fill back up. If you warm up your car before changing the oil & start it back up shortly after that, I can't imagine the internal parts suddenly going dry in that short period of time.
    I've been changing oil in cars since around 1983. I'm right there with you.

In fact, I worked at a Jiffy Lube when I was 17. Changed LOTS of oil, and worked down in "the pit" a lot. Every car makes a similar sound when it starts after an oil change... when you're listening from the bottom. It's kind of a "THUNK-THUNK-THUNK-THUNK-THUNK-thunk-thunk-thunk-quiet". With the uppercase thunks being louder... but not "loud", just loud enough that you can hear them. As the pressure comes up, the thunks rapidly taper off to nothing. I suspect that some variation of this sound is what the OP is hearing.
    Simplify and add lightness.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-21-2018)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Fummins I wouldn't worry too much about a noisy horse. It's typical that they protest some after a saddle change. I had similar results back when I worked at the stables.

Post a video next time so we can see what you're talking about.

On the other hand maybe not.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Ahh, this is exactly what I was looking for, simple and easy. Here is another good video on clear flood:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyFAnJbsoXM

that is what I will try next time - hopefully the Mirage implements this mode as well.

Thank you for this great solution and to all of the other respondents for the great suggestions.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 667 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hflaisher View Post
    Hi All:

I normally get a 1 sec knock after changing oil and starting my 2015 Mirage. I try to get as much oil into the filter as I can. This time, I used Valvoline 0-20 and the car knocked for about 4 seconds. Probably more wear in that 5 seconds than in the whole 40k history of the car. Very troubling.

Does anyone have a trick for preventing this from happening AT ALL, short of buying a preoiling system?

Thank you

p.s. my last change was with Mobil 1 0-20 and it didnt knock at all, but it has in the past, even using Mobil 1, perhaps not for that long. I somehow think it might have happened w/any oil.

Thought that issue was conquered ages ago!

Number one, look at the following thread: http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...on-USA-markets

Number two, get a Filtron OP575 oil filter.
    It features a silicone non-return valve which seals much better than cheaper rubber ones like the usual crap, a bypass in case the filter becomes saturated (full), and the finest filtering (2-4µ) available anywhere. Additionally it has a higher capacity and yet fits perfectly in our cars. That thoroughly gets rid of those problems. Try it and you shall see.
    Last edited by foama; 06-22-2018 at 10:59 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

strawboss (06-23-2018)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Great, now where does one buy one of these? all I could find was on ebay from the UK.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

I have a hard time believing oil filters filling back up are a big issue. If it is an issue, Mitsubishi should design a 2-stroke model. You just dump a little oil in the gas tank, and you never have to change oil again. Image the instant increase in horsepower & cool sound! I doubt California & some other states would go for this, but it would eliminate the oil change concern forever!
    Two strokes still use engine oil to lubricate the bottom end so you still need to change the oil lol. I just changed the oil in my YZ250 the other day. Pretty funny it puts out 46hp out of 250cc and the mirage puts out 32 more out of 1200cc. One is much faster than the other yipppyyyy

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts

not all

Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Two strokes still use engine oil to lubricate the bottom end so you still need to change the oil lol. I just changed the oil in my YZ250 the other day. Pretty funny it puts out 46hp out of 250cc and the mirage puts out 32 more out of 1200cc. One is much faster than the other yipppyyyy
    Never changed engine oil in any of my 2-stroke chainsaws or boat motors. 2-strokes are lightweight and powerful for their size for sure. In some cases, you can run the thing upside down without issue. We are probably off topic for this thread, however! I will take the blame for that!

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 667 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hflaisher View Post
    Great, now where does one buy one of these? all I could find was on ebay from the UK.
    Sorry if they don't sell them in the USA. You may try getting one labeled as WIX, which is their second brand for the same filter.