Thread: Drying interior after windows open + downpour

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts

Drying interior after windows open + downpour

So, yesterday I took my wife to work since she hasn't been feeling the greatest (vertigo). It was blazing hot and I knew I'd be going back out later, so I left all my windows down. Later on, I was working in the house, had a fan on so I didn't hear it, but it was really really raining hard. Once things finally clicked, I ran out and put my windows up. Of course, my butt was instantly soaked along with a lot of the interior.

It is now a day later. I just got in from taking a towel to the interior (yay, all cleaned up for the meet this weekend, haha). But, I'm still left with decently wet seats.

What suggestions do you guys have for drying out the interior?

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    1. Get lots of dry air circulating in there - think windows open and run a fan to move air in & out.
    2. Close up the passenger compartment and run a dehumidifier inside to extract as much moisture as you are able.

Windows open or closed - your call.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Daox (06-19-2018)

Maybe try a carpet shampooer to suck up moisture from the seats. If it's really wet you might want to pull the seats and carpet and dry the floor below. And everything eggman suggested too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Daox (06-19-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Of course - the good old wet/dry vacuum. I figured you'd have already started with that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Daox (06-19-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have the luxury of a garage, so I just leave the windows down and park it in the garage. It usually dries out quicker than you expect.

If you want to help things along, you could run the car with the AC on (dehumidify) and the heat cranked all the way up. (stupid electronic system probably won't let you do that... maybe on defrost mode?) Get a little heat going on in there, then open all the windows and let the air flow.

Whatever you do, DON'T close up the car with it wet like that. You'll get mildew.

I daily drove a Miata for about 10 years. Always had the top down unless it was raining or very cold. Sometimes if it started raining while I was driving, I'd just deal with it. Never a problem, just left the car in the garage with the top down and it dried out by the next day.

But, once I was doing a 3-day training thing out of town. Staying in a hotel. No garage. Of course, it rained all 3 days. Car got wet inside. Closed up with moisture and heat... the third day, I had what looked like HAIR growing from the inside of the top!
    Simplify and add lightness.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Daox (06-19-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    It was blazing hot and I knew I'd be going back out later, so I left all my windows down. Later on, I was working in the house, had a fan on so I didn't hear it, but it was really really raining hard. Once things finally clicked, I ran out and put my windows up. Of course, my butt was instantly soaked along with a lot of the interior.
    Hey Daox how'd this turn out? Did your Mirage smell a little suspicious for the meetup?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Haha, thankfully no. It happened on Monday, and Wednesday was a pretty nice day. I opened up all the doors and let the car sit in the sun all day. That got it nearly all the way there. I also made a point to drive it and blast the fan and as much heat as I could when I did.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)