Thread: 40,000kish Miles - Engine Replacement

Country
    United States
    Thanks

40,000kish Miles - Engine Replacement

Just posting here for others. This winter, my 2014 mirage began making a knocking noise on cold starts on cold days only. This escalated to all cold starts making the knock. Power was sluggish, but as the car warmed, the noise went away.

2 Visits to the dealer and got a 'technician could not reproduce' each time when I complained about the issue. At the time, I also had a failure with my front driver window regulator, which immediately broke after 2 weeks. I call the dealer, fussed about the window and the non-diagnosis and asked them to take the car for the night, so they can drive it in the morning.

Lo and Behold, they hear the knocked, and investigate. The dealer was very good about this, though the notes on the failure are vague. They replaced the engine, looks shiny. No questions asked warranty replacement, Marina Mitsubishi in Rochester NY.

Solution as written:

Caused by:

After further diagnosis technician found that the motor is scored and causing the heavy knocking noise, needs to be replaced.

Parts installed:
    Engine Assy, Long (1000C848)
    Engine Oil, Synthetic, 0W
    Long Life Coolant
    Hose Clamp
    CVT Fluid, J4

I always got oil changes with the correct oil, and recently started doing it myself (after the knock started) due to me not trusting my local mechanics to not overfill.

Should I start putting a heavier oil in to avoid this in the future?

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to arthurdents For This Useful Post:

Angrybeaver (06-22-2018),Daox (06-20-2018),emdeplam (06-20-2018),ThunderG (06-20-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Did the knocking occur before the recall for over rich fuel delivery in cold temperatures was completed? There were some documented engine failures due to this issue (which is why the recall was issued).

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...03105-0335.pdf
    Last edited by inuvik; 06-19-2018 at 11:58 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

emdeplam (06-20-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurdents View Post
    Just posting here for others. This winter, my 2014 mirage began making a knocking noise on cold starts on cold days only. This escalated to all cold starts making the knock. Power was sluggish, but as the car warmed, the noise went away.
    Sadly you're not the first. Darkfly600 had a similar problem: And suddenly I need a new engine!

Sorry to hear this happened to you. Glad to hear your dealer is taking care of it for you. I'm going to guess that you will be getting the new design with the roller cam - 78 hp.

I don't think so. Stick to what's recommended for the Mirage - 0W20 synthetic. I understand this was due to a metallurgical problem with the pistons that caused (causes) different parts to expand & contract in such a way as to lead to scoring. I'm not sure you could have done anything to avoid it.

I'm afraid I might be having the same problem in cold weather. My used oil analysis shows no indication of problems though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

arthurdents (06-20-2018),emdeplam (06-20-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No.

As you've alluded to, most engine wear happens on a cold start. It's not because the oil is too thin, but because it's too THICK. Even a 0W oil is 10x thicker than optimal on a cold start.

Stick with what the engine was designed to work with.
    Simplify and add lightness.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

arthurdents (06-20-2018),Cobrajet (06-20-2018),emdeplam (06-20-2018),poorman1 (06-24-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I didn't have the reprogram done until after i first noticed the knocking. It did not improve, not that it would, if damage was already done over time.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Thanks for sharing with us. The more info we have the better!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Nothing to worry about as far as your maintenance habits/products. This did happen to several of the 2014 engines. The problem has been resolved and your new engine will be fine.
    There are threads in the forum about this specific issue with other owners, some covering months of misdiagnosis, tow calls, and rental cars. Glad yours got solved.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I'm glad to hear Marina Mitsubishi replaced your engine under warranty. That's where I bought my 2015, and so far it's been trouble free.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrybeaver View Post
    I'm glad to hear Marina Mitsubishi replaced your engine under warranty. That's where I bought my 2015, and so far it's been trouble free.
    Yup, they loaned me an Outlander Sport while they had my car, so obviously that was nice. They just said the engine needs to be replaced, didn't ask me any questions at all. So far the car feels good, time will tell.