Thread: Fuel Mileage meter A: averages over what distance?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Fuel Mileage meter A: averages over what distance?

Just curious what distance the Mirage 'A' fuel mileage meter integrates (averages) over in its calculation? My old 2005 Ford Escape did its MPG calculation over the last 30 miles driven. The Mirage seems to use a lot shorter distance. Just guessing but it seems like it averages over the last 5 miles or less. Anyone know?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daleWV View Post
    Just curious what distance the Mirage 'A' fuel mileage meter integrates (averages) over in its calculation? My old 2005 Ford Escape did its MPG calculation over the last 30 miles driven. The Mirage seems to use a lot shorter distance. Just guessing but it seems like it averages over the last 5 miles or less. Anyone know?
    "A" fuel mileage is reset to zero after about 4 hours of inactivity. "B" fuel mileage is the running average until reset. Whoever the programmer was who dreamed up this sequence hopefully was terminated!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-31-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It continuously updates exactly every 30 seconds. Then like was stated above,after four hours of inactivity it resets itself.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks
    or do you mean the info about the remaining distance on the tank?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.8 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    or do you mean the info about the remaining distance on the tank?
    No, not the remaining distance on the tank. And I also understand how the MPG display is reset, either manually or automatically after 4 hours of inactivity. I was just curious if anyone knew what distance the vehicle fuel mileage calculation uses to generate the miles per gallon value it displays and updates every 30 seconds. I know it's not an instantaneous value or it would be wildly changing depend if the car was coasting or climbing a hill or driving on a flat road. It's got to be averaging many internally calculated instantaneous fuel mileage readings over some distance. My old Ford Escape calculated that value by averaging the instantaneous readings over the last 30 miles driven so the MPG value presented on the display, while frequently updated (about every 10 seconds), was slow to actually change. The Mirage "A" MPG display updates the value less frequently (every 30 seconds) but the number displayed changes much quicker than it did on the Ford. For this reason I was guessing that that's its some distance between 0 and 30 miles, and going from my experience driving the Mirage it seems like it averages over the last 5 miles or less. In other words, if I drove the Ford carefully it would take 25 or 30 miles to register a true high MPG value on the display. If I drive the Mirage carefully it will register a true high MPG after only a few miles.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    The Mirage has no MPG display which calculates the average for a certain distance but only for the total driven distance. Therefore the "A" display of course really fast changes its value at the start because it starts nearly everytime from the beginning. The MPG value of course will get more exact the more miles you drive.

I like it, because I can see the average fuel consumption for every trip and for the whole tank when refueling.

The remaining distance is calculated for about the last 100 kilometers driven.
    Mitsubishi Space Star 1.2:
    Daihatsu Cuore L251:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Space Star Klassik Kollektion+ 1.2 manual: 67.5 mpg (US) ... 28.7 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 81.0 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 25Plus For This Useful Post:

daleWV (10-17-2015),MetroMPG (12-31-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 25Plus View Post
    The Mirage has no MPG display which calculates the average for a certain distance but only for the total driven distance.
    I use a ScanGauge E to get "real time" MPG. Website says it's updated every 2 seconds. When coasting, it goes up to "9999MPG", but I've seen it show 200+mpg for short distances of coasting. I've got a short video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZsW1oTVqUM

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to wellswebdesign For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-31-2015)

Thanks for posting the vid. I embedded it in your post (button above the edit window).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)