Thread: Quieter replacement tires

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Quieter replacement tires

In the fall we will be replacing the enslaves on Dolores I've read a good amount of the tire information about replacement tires... it's been helpful however is there a specific brand and size that makes the mirage quieter over the factory enslaves? We would be willing to give up a little mpg or our speedo being off slightly to have a quieter ride and little more grip. I want to keep the steel wheels 165/65r14 are the factory tires. Dolores has been giving us 47-48 mpg mixed driving since brand new.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This would be interesting, since I am in the same boat. I want quieter tires, but dont care about performance or as much as mpg. I would go for 175/65/14 since is more common, but relly considering going to 15 inches since the 14 inch tires are no where to be found!
    mitsu's in the family

2024 Mirage SE

2021 Mirage ES CVT (Sold)
    2021 Outlander Sport 2.0 ES CVT (trade in)
    2018 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT (ex wife's car, crashed)
    2017 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT Smartphone Link Display Audio (SDA) System(Crashed)
    2015 Lancer SE 2.4 AWC (sold)
    2014 Mirage DE 1.2 Manual and BT (sold)
    2004 Galant DE (mom's sold)
    2000 Mirage DE 1.8 Auto (sold)
    1988 Cordia L Turbo (trade in)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Hmmm...do you consider the OEM Enasaves to be noisy? I've heard people slam the factory tires for everything...but not being noisy.

Remember that odd tire wear can induce noise. If you haven't rotated your tires on a regular basis, you may not have noticed how they are wearing. So take a look at all 4 of your tires closely and check for any funky wear patterns...particularly on the rear. If you haven't had a 4-wheel alignment check yet, do not spend money on new tires without making sure your alignment is OK on all 4 wheels.

My car has good tires and I still get a decent amount of road noise. I always considered that a "feature" of the Mirage. I'm thinking that some sound insulation is what I would ultimately need to quiet things down.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Hmmm...do you consider the OEM Enasaves to be noisy? I've heard people slam the factory tires for everything...but not being noisy.

Remember that odd tire wear can induce noise. If you haven't rotated your tires on a regular basis, you may not have noticed how they are wearing. So take a look at all 4 of your tires closely and check for any funky wear patterns...particularly on the rear. If you haven't had a 4-wheel alignment check yet, do not spend money on new tires without making sure your alignment is OK on all 4 wheels.

My car has good tires and I still get a decent amount of road noise. I always considered that a "feature" of the Mirage. I'm thinking that some sound insulation is what I would ultimately need to quiet things down.
    Any LRR tire is more noisy then a normal one, especially grand touring. They have harder rubber for the contact patch. Its not the wear, its the tires, also as they rack up miles they become even louder, I had 3 mirages, all had the same issues. The 18 has more wind noise suppression, but tire noise is there, same as my 17!
    mitsu's in the family

2024 Mirage SE

2021 Mirage ES CVT (Sold)
    2021 Outlander Sport 2.0 ES CVT (trade in)
    2018 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT (ex wife's car, crashed)
    2017 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT Smartphone Link Display Audio (SDA) System(Crashed)
    2015 Lancer SE 2.4 AWC (sold)
    2014 Mirage DE 1.2 Manual and BT (sold)
    2004 Galant DE (mom's sold)
    2000 Mirage DE 1.8 Auto (sold)
    1988 Cordia L Turbo (trade in)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

14" tire options

Quote Originally Posted by DottandDolores View Post
    In the fall we will be replacing the enslaves on Dolores I've read a good amount of the tire information about replacement tires... it's been helpful however is there a specific brand and size that makes the mirage quieter over the factory enslaves? We would be willing to give up a little mpg or our speedo being off slightly to have a quieter ride and little more grip. I want to keep the steel wheels 165/65r14 are the factory tires. Dolores has been giving us 47-48 mpg mixed driving since brand new.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you
    I feel Mitsubishi may have picked the 165/65r14 tire size on purpose. It sort of directs a person towards the Dunlop Enasave 01 A/S & Bridgestone Potenza RE92 tires, which are both LRR tires.

I feel a person still has a number of other tire options without having to go to 15” rims. The 14” rims on a small car like a Mirage are not odd. The tire size they selected is odd. Just search 175/65r14 tires @ Walmart’s website. If you are willing to use a different width/diameter tire, you will find all sorts of options in that tire size alone. The same can be found elsewhere at other tire sites. I don't know how someone can say 14" tires don't exist? You don’t have to upgrade to 15” wheel to create more options in my opinion.

I am not a fan of wider/lower profile tires. I have my reasons, & I am not really interested in arguing with those who feel otherwise. Unless no other options existed, I see myself sticking with factory size 165/65r14 tires in the future. I would search for 165/65r14 tires at various tire sites & see what others say. You may have already done that & want more input from Mirage owners. If so, I understand that.

You have mentioned more traction and quiet. Tire Rack is offering a 165/65r14 tire from the European market (not a Chinese tire). It’s called the Vredestein Quatrac5 Grand Touring All-Season. Obviously, this is not a common name in the US. The reviews for this tire seem good. It looks like an all-season tire that is truly all-season. Softness of rubber is what makes a good snow tire. Most all-season tires are not going to compete with a snow tire. Some all-season tires are much better than others. Living in Wisconsin, I may consider these tires when I need to replace my Dunlops. I already bought a pair of Nokian snow tires, & I used them this past winter. I was happy with their performance.

If I could not find a 165/65r14 tire that I was happy with & went up a size to 175/65r14 tires, I would strongly consider the General Altimax RT43 tire. It has a 75,000 miles warranty. They are a proven tire, been around for some time, & they offer decent traction. Everyone has their own opinion on tires, & I am just sharing mine. Doesn’t mean it’s the best choice for someone else.

Once you decide on something, I would visit your local tire shop. I would share with them what you want. My local tire shop blows away large discount chains in price. One discount chain in my area advertises buy 3 tires & get one free. They soak with all sorts of charges (balancing, mounting, shop fees, etc…). They are horrible, and you can’t buy their tires without their service. I’ve bought the same 4 tires at my local shop for $80-100 less. Thus, I would give your local tire shop a try. If you do buy on line, you may need them to mount, balance, and do whatever. If they know you tried them first, they may be more helpful in serving you!

If your local tire shop can’t help you find the right tire - walmart.com, simpletires.com, easy-tires.com, tirerack.com, & discounttiredirect.com are all good places to start.

I wish I had more personal experience with my Mirage, but I’ve owned other small cars. Options exist for 14” tires! Personally I wouldn't go any wider than 175 tires, because the factory rims are only 4.5" wide. Let us know what you decide some day!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I rotate every 6k to 7.5k miles tread appears to wear very evenly granted the cars arent quiet but I'm surprised how much louder the tires are nearing the 20k mark. When we replace tires I will definetly get the 4 wheel alignment and I'll talk with the other half about rolling with 15's.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks Mark luckily my other half grew up with a neighborhood kid that now owns several garages he will get tires for us and has great access to variety of tires i was leaning towards keeping the 14 steel wheels anyways. I had an Accent that had 155/80r13's and they were a great size. Never got stuck in the snow and ran hard with the tires.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DottandDolores View Post
    When we replace tires I will definetly get the 4 wheel alignment...
    If you decide to change from the OEM tire size, consider getting your alignment checked BEFORE doing so.

Why?

In the rare instance that you have a rear axle problem, it will be a much easier warranty process if you still have the stock size tires on the car. If you go to your dealer with a warranty alignment issue (and non-stock size tires), they will tell you to come back when you have 165-65-14s on the car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Eggman (06-21-2018)