Thread: Low AC Power- Normal?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Low AC Power- Normal?

Went from a 2015 Mirage with more than adequate air conditioning to a 2017 that blows cold air but not much air at all.

It sounds like the compressor and everything is working fine (aka very loud of high), but there is a very low volume and pressure of air coming through. The air that is coming is quite cold. If not normal, any idea of what could be wrong?

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Nobody has seemed to complain of this. Have you checked your cabin air filter to make sure its not plugged up?
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

inuvik (06-05-2023),Top_Fuel (06-20-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Nobody has seemed to complain of this. Have you checked your cabin air filter to make sure its not plugged up?
    YOU ARE A HERO! Thanks a ton for the help!

Turns out a plastic bag somehow got sucked in there. Removed it and we’ve got plenty of power. Glad it’s fixed.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tomandjerry00 For This Useful Post:

Daox (06-20-2018),Eggman (06-20-2018),Fummins (06-20-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Awesome, glad it was something easy to fix!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was going to rec. Cabin air filter inspection...ive seen weird **** in the blower motors haha
    2018 mirage ES manual

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 41.6 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 50.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Keep an eye on this. It's amazing how quickly they get plugged up.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This old thread was a life saver. We bought our 2023 Mirage SE in March and the HVAC worked great until about two weeks ago. The air coming from the vents was super cold (41 degrees) but despite the blower motor running at full tilt, the volume of that air was tiny. I dropped the glove box and sure enough there was a paper napkin covering the cabin filter, completely blocking the flow. When the HVAC is on recirculate, the blower air intake is wide open and right above the glove box. Anything that isn't nailed down gets sucked right into the open intake. Not a great design but the problem is easily enough avoided by keeping napkins, plastic bags, etc. out of the glove box.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gearhead1961 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-02-2023),inuvik (06-02-2023),Mark (06-02-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I wish my 17 with manual controls would work as well as my 14 with HVAC. The 8 fan speeds on the HVAC are a godsend. WTF don't the mfgs. use a damn rheostat for the manual fan control, make it continuously variable? Idjeets.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I wish my 17 with manual controls would work as well as my 14 with HVAC. The 8 fan speeds on the HVAC are a godsend. WTF don't the mfgs. use a damn rheostat for the manual fan control, make it continuously variable? Idjeets.
    the knob you turn is actually not the resistor for the motor. The resistor itself is cooled by the airflow from the fan it powers. A rheostat that can power a 100+ watt fan (my guess based on fuse size) would be rather large and complicated compared to our setup of 4 resistors.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,377 Times in 998 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead1961 View Post
    Not a great design but the problem is easily enough avoided by keeping napkins, plastic bags, etc. out of the glove box.
    I use a Glock Model 23 to hold all that type stuff down so it doesn't get sucked in there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

mohammad (06-06-2023)