Thread: Greetings from Oregon!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Greetings from Oregon!

Hello, everyone. After nearly three years with my 2008 smart fortwo, I decided it was time to do some research and see what cars would be a suitable replacement. The smart was a lot of fun but there was the cost of maintenance that was astronomical on my mind as it essentially needed most items excluding an oil change. The local Mercedes/ smart dealer wanted around $1500 to get it caught up to the 40k mile service. The front suspension was so stiff it would literally jump speed bumps if not careful. The last irritant was the low MPG average. Despite driving conservatively, I was averaging just under 30mpg in mostly in-town driving rising slightly if I could get a few trips on the freeway.

A ton of research including lots of YouTube videos brought me to the Mirage. Unfortunately, the local Mitsubishi franchise closed so finding one locally was a matter of being patient. Finally, I ended up with a 2015 DE with the CVT and no options, as far as I can tell. Even though I wanted the F.A.S.T. key setup and the Bluetooth built-in, I'm still happy with the features as it is. Since I've been looking at the upgrades I can do, I can't wait to try some of them out! I also have enjoyed this car so much more than I even expected that I might upgrade to a '17 or '18 model in a year or two.

It's funny how roomy this car feels. Yes, my smart was small but still had a roomy cabin, at least for me alone. The Mirage should appeal to so many more people than it does here in the USA, but I know everyone here in the forum knows all that, so no need for me to go on. I'm just sorry I didn't look at one sooner. Better late than never! Thanks for allowing me to go on and on and I look forward to participating in the forums!

Michael

Attached Images Attached Images   

2. The Following User Says Thank You to OregonBruin For This Useful Post:

emdeplam (06-21-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonBruin View Post
    Hello, everyone. After nearly three years with my 2008 smart fortwo, I decided it was time to do some research and see what cars would be a suitable replacement.
    Hello Michael and welcome to the forum. I think you'll find the Mirage to be a substantial upgrade. I understand the Fourtwo 1.0 gas engine is a Mitsubishi 3B21. Overseas the Mirage is offered with the Mitsubishi 3A90 1.0. For the same size engines, the Mirage gets better fuel economy for twice the passenger capacity.

There's lots of friendly folks here and we like to help other owners make the most of their Mirage. Let us know if you have any questions or if there are any modifications you are interested in. One problem with early models is rear axle alignment. If you can, get the alignment checked soon. Some alignment shops offer free checks and only charge for adjustments.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Welcome neighbor and welcome to the forum!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)