Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rear wheel camber?

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    I wasn’t thinking of doing it to that extreme, but my new wheels are a little wide and it would’ve helped with the rubbing a little. I’ve pulled and rolled the fenders today and pretty much non existent rub except on big bumps which is more down to my cheap amazon springs that are softer than my mattress..

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'd be interested in seeing photos of your roll & pull job. I should do that to my car for clearance on the 195's. And if I could get enough clearance, I could maybe fit 205's.

As it is, I've solved the rub by adjusting the coilovers such that the range of motion doesn't go that far up into the fender. Car is slightly taller in the rear than I want as a result, but it works.

I'll cut and weld bolt-on parts all day long, but I don't do body work! I'm hesitant to mess with fender rolling and such because I don't want to mess up the body.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    It’s definitely not the neatest and I’m no expert in bodywork but here’s a photo i took earlier..
    Name:  E098F88A-E3BD-414E-A629-EA09DC4E5068.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  98.6 KB

I actually pulled that fender a little more after that towards the front of the car to round it out some more. I’ll probably have to invest in Coilovers to solve the rubbing now though.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What the heck color is your car?

Thanks for the photo. I know there's not a lot to work with trying to work that rear fender. One of the reasons I've been avoiding it.

Just for kicks, this was our solution to tire rub issues on our Festiva autocross project car a couple years ago. It would barely fit 185's without rubbing. We were running 225's on it after cobbling together some flares!

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    It’s whatever color you want it to be hahaha it’s a wrap

Name:  A694B3F9-DF69-4DDE-B573-72BE21B20B73.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  96.3 KB

I actually did consider flares but the mirages I’ve seen that have them don’t look the best.. my problem area now seems to be where the fender and the rear bumper meet just on this one side. The car has always had a little damage on that corner since i got it and it’s looking like that part is bent inwards. I’m not really having any rubbing issues on the other side and the wheel on my drivers side appears to be closer to the fender also.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Functional flares are a commitment. Style flares are typically just 3M taped to the body. But, if you NEED flares for clearance, you have to cut the fender underneath the flare for clearance. It's a permanent change.

The only flares I've seen for the Mirage have just been cosmetic body-kit items.

I'm very much a function over form kinda guy, but that wrap looks cool!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

Festiva

Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    What the heck color is your car?

Thanks for the photo. I know there's not a lot to work with trying to work that rear fender. One of the reasons I've been avoiding it.

Just for kicks, this was our solution to tire rub issues on our Festiva autocross project car a couple years ago. It would barely fit 185's without rubbing. We were running 225's on it after cobbling together some flares!

Keep in mind - The Ford Festiva came with skinny 12" factory wheels, too! I remember, because I drove one for 14 years. Paid $5,300 brand new after a $1000 rebate was applied in 1990. As the Festiva got older my standard line was - "The most it could depreciate was $5300!" You couldn't say that about much else on the road back then!

225 wheels had to be a real stretch for that little car! Thus, I can see the reason for the fender flares!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The FASTiva was a hoot to autocross with sticky 225's on it! We didn't have to brake for much. I miss that car, but I don't miss working on it.