Thread: Testing: engine movement

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts

Testing: engine movement

In my thread on gauging interesting in a front strut bar, Loren mentioned he installed a torque strut that limits the rotation of the engine similar to the lower engine mount. This provides snappier engine response, but likely also increase engine vibrations into the cabin.

I figured it would be fun to shoot some quick video and get some idea of how much the engine is actually moving. This is the test setup that I used. Its not ideal, but it does give an idea of how much movement we see, and if we develop a torque strut we will be able to tell how much it has dampened and reduced movement.

First, I put a HD video camera on my tripod. I wasn't able to get a good top down view, so I added the piece of wood and used some shrink wrap to affix the camera to the wood and the wood to the tripod. It worked well as a temporary setup.

Name:  IMG_20180622_094539381_HDR.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  103.3 KB

Next, I setup a tape measure under the camera. The tape measure never touched the engine, so it wasn't bumped. It was only touching the chassis, so it should give reliable measurements in relation to the engine and camera.

Name:  IMG_20180622_094825848_HDR.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  102.1 KB

However, the tape measure really is far from ideal for this test. It is at a good angle from the camera and engine, thus skewing perfect readings.

Name:  IMG_20180622_094837806_HDR.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  102.0 KB

So, here we have the footage of the testing. I put the emergency brake on, let the clutch out and gave it some gas in 1st gear the first two times. The third and fourth time, I put it in reverse to see how much it would move the other way. It appears the airbox moved roughly 5/8" rearward (in 1st gear), and about the same in reverse.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Basic (06-22-2018),Marklovski (06-22-2018),poorman1 (06-24-2018)