Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got rear-ended on my Mirage G4

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Exclamation Got rear-ended on my Mirage G4

Hi, I got rear-ended on Friday by a Tiguan, I fully stopped at the stop sign but the driver behind me failed to do so and hit me at the speed of 20-30km/hour. My rear plastic bumper was cracked for 2 feets, and I went beneath the car and found the steel bumper behind the plastic bumper was bent inward but not too bad. The lady admits her fault and would like to settle privately. Anyone has an idea of if I should settle privately? If so, how much it will cost to replace the bumper? Thank you very much!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 1.2 automatic: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.7 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by luckyforrest View Post
    Hi, I got rear-ended on Friday by a Tiguan, I fully stopped at the stop sign but the driver behind me failed to do so and hit me at the speed of 20-30km/hour. My rear plastic bumper was cracked for 2 feets, and I went beneath the car and found the steel bumper behind the plastic bumper was bent inward but not too bad. The lady admits her fault and would like to settle privately. Anyone has an idea of if I should settle privately? If so, how much it will cost to replace the bumper? Thank you very much!
    We had a hatchback rear ended a few weeks ago. Bumper is cracked but otherwise it looked okay. Until I pulled the plastic interior trim back. The entire rear panel is waffled. Got a quote of almost $5000 to repair.

I'm not sue happy but I'd go get a quote from an actual bodyshop and hand it to the lady. If she doesn't like it, go through insurance. There's a pretty good chance there's a bunch of tinfoil bent that you can't see.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (02-15-2022),MetroMPG (02-14-2022),Top_Fuel (02-14-2022),vintzend (02-16-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    We had a hatchback rear ended a few weeks ago. Bumper is cracked but otherwise it looked okay. Until I pulled the plastic interior trim back. The entire rear panel is waffled. Got a quote of almost $5000 to repair.

I'm not sue happy but I'd go get a quote from an actual bodyshop and hand it to the lady. If she doesn't like it, go through insurance. There's a pretty good chance there's a bunch of tinfoil bent that you can't see.

Thank you! 5000 bucks is a lot! I initially thought the only damage was the plastic bumper, and got a quote of 1500 if no internal damages. Not sure if the steel bumper bent falls into frame damage, say will it affect alignment etc?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 1.2 automatic: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    People get in a low-speed "fender bender" and it looks like there's not a lot of damage...so you assume repair won't be expensive. Maybe that's what this lady was thinking. People look at a cracked bumper cover and think "they can probably fix that for a few hundred dollars."

Without seeing pictures, I can tell you that this repair in the US would probably be at least $1700. It might even run higher depending on what they find when they get the bumper cover off. Take a look at the list price of some of the rear bumper components...

Name:  bumper.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  47.3 KB

Name:  bumper2.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  71.9 KB

The list price of the bumper cover and impact bar is $1100. Add $400 to paint it...a couple of hours of labor, shop supplies, EPA fees...etc. That's how something like this costs $1700 (US). Like I said...it could be more.

Go get a few estimates...because chances are that person is going to be shocked by the number.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-14-2022),vintzend (02-16-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by luckyforrest View Post
    say will it affect alignment etc?
    No, the suspension is mounted a ways forward of the bumper, ahead of the rear wheels.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    People get in a low-speed "fender bender" and it looks like there's not a lot of damage...so you assume repair won't be expensive. Maybe that's what this lady was thinking. People look at a cracked bumper cover and think "they can probably fix that for a few hundred dollars."

Without seeing pictures, I can tell you that this repair in the US would probably be at least $1700. It might even run higher depending on what they find when they get the bumper cover off. Take a look at the list price of some of the rear bumper components...

Name:  bumper.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  47.3 KB

Name:  bumper2.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  71.9 KB

The list price of the bumper cover and impact bar is $1100. Add $400 to paint it...a couple of hours of labor, shop supplies, EPA fees...etc. That's how something like this costs $1700 (US). Like I said...it could be more.

Go get a few estimates...because chances are that person is going to be shocked by the number.
    Thank you! I will take it to a body shop and check it carefully to see if there are more damage. It is really surprising that it has internal damage, I initially feel sure internal damage is very unlikely.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    No, the suspension is mounted a ways forward of the bumper, ahead of the rear wheels.
    Thank you! Hopefully no more new damages.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    If your in ontario, canada you must report collisions that have over 2,000 CAD in damage to a collision center within 24 hours or your insurance claim maybe denied. A very scammy strategy in Ontario is to pretend you want to settle privately then wait out the 24 hours then stop communicating with the victim to prevent them from making insurance claim. The photo top-fuel shared is of US dollar prices. I tried to get the bumper cover painted, the jankeyst cash only shop in toronto starts at $350 to repaint a section of the bumper. Im sure its over 1000 cad if you want a new metal impact bar and a new bumper cover and paint, there's a good premium if you want a new bumper cover painted because they will sand and repaint a section of the quarter panel and hatch/trunk lid as well to blend the paint colors. Also if you go through insurance normally they will also give you a rental car, painting cars is normally a multi day adventure.

if you have any, feel free to share Photos and dash cam footage, ive always wondered how well these cars hold up in accidents.
    Last edited by mohammad; 02-14-2022 at 09:08 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mohammad For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-14-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    If your in ontario, canada you must report collisions that have over 2,000 CAD in damage to a collision center within 48 hours or your insurance claim maybe denied. A very scammy strategy in Ontario is to pretend you want to settle privately then wait out the 48 hours then stop communicating with the victim to prevent them from making insurance claim. The photo top-fuel shared is of US dollar prices. I tried to get the bumper cover painted, the jankeyst cash only shop in toronto starts at $350 to repaint a section of the bumper. Im sure its over 1000 cad if you want a new metal impact bar and a new bumper cover and paint, there's a good premium if you want a new bumper cover painted because they will sand and repaint a section of the quarter panel and hatch/trunk lid as well to blend the paint colors. Also if you go through insurance normally they will also give you a rental car, painting cars is normally a multi day adventure.

if you have any, feel free to share Photos and dash cam footage, ive always wondered how well these cars hold up in accidents.
    Wow,I did not know that was a thing over there. I don't know which is correct, 24 or 48hrs. As far as not being able to make a claim, again I that link has conflicting info...It says you have 7 days to file a claim.

"Can I report a car accident after 24 hours in Ontario?
    You have 24 hours to report a car accident to the Collision Reporting Center in Ontario. Damages above $2,000 need to be reported immediately as required by the Ontario law." https://www.brokerlink.ca/blog/do-i-...ent-in-ontario

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Your right it’s 24 hours. Also,yes 7 days to file a claim but It’s very hard to file a claim without a valid collision report. Everyone’s always looking for a reason not to pay out.