Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gas mileage/MPG test: 2014 Mirage CVT vs. 5-speed (sub/urban Ottawa route)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I bought my cvt in feb. in northern ON and you can see my fuel econ numbers in the log.
    The CVT requires very little warm up, I get dressed, run out and start the car, come back in and put my work boots on then go. Not much more than 2 min warm up.
    I drive slowly (no more than 2000 rpm) until cold light goes off (about 2 min) then off to the races...
    Winter mileage is closer to 50mpg than the 64mpg rating but entirely acceptable.
    Side note.. the cvt loves cold temps and this car is outstanding in the snow.

Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks

Smile fuel economy 1.2 CVT

I have a Mirage 1.2 CVT and I get on average easily 4.5 l/100km. Sometimes (on highway route) 4.0 l/100km. My record? 3.9 l/100km. In city traffic about 6.0 l/100km. Luckily city traffic is rare in my case. I am too lazy to keep record of it at every refuelling and post it on the website all the time

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks

Unhappy update and difference between manual and CVT

Quote Originally Posted by RodeRoNL View Post
    I have a Mirage 1.2 CVT and I get on average easily 4.5 l/100km. Sometimes (on highway route) 4.0 l/100km. My record? 3.9 l/100km. In city traffic about 6.0 l/100km. Luckily city traffic is rare in my case. I am too lazy to keep record of it at every refuelling and post it on the website all the time
    Update: the first 10,000km the average fuel economy of my 1.2 CVT was 5.0 l/100 km which was a bit worse than hoped. I expect a bit better fuel economy for the second 10,000km as the engine is a bit more loose. My target will still be 4.5 l/100km. I know I can!

Regarding the topic of Original Poster: I just checked the fuel economy log part of this website. The 1.2 CVT uses on average almost 10% more fuel than the manual (averageing 105 cars). This difference dissapointed me a bit. I thought the CVT would be almost on par with the manual if I am honest...

Most people think the same thing. We even had one member who bought the CVT for its better fuel economy rating and was so disappointed to discover he could actually get better results with the manual that he traded his CVT for one.

The government ratings are the problem: they handicap all manual transmissions. It's due to the way they are driven during the test which result in worse ratings than a reasonable driver can get in the real world (at similar speeds & ambient temperatures).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    hope to see new results here for the 2017 mirage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)