Thread: e15 blends

Country
    United States
    Thanks

e15 blends

What's Mitsubishis' stance on using e15 on our motors. Imho it doesn't make any difference. 10% ethanol vs 15%. But does Mitsubishi have any chance as far as use and warranty.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    There was a thread start on this topic a few months ago... ah yes here it is:

E15 gasoline and how it might effect the Mitsubishi Mirage

I personally think it'll be fine. You'll probably get a hair less fuel efficiency. I don't think there will be any problems from using it.

Officially, I'd imagine Mitsu will say not to use it.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Manual for my Mirage says the car can run on E20.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker1980 View Post
    Manual for my Mirage says the car can run on E20.
    Tinker, I'm not sure what year your Mirage (and manual) is, but I found the following on page 3-2 of the 2015 manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsubishi Mirage 2015 Owner's Manual
    Page 3-2 General Information
    Fuel Selection

Your vehicle is designed to use unleaded gasoline only. It is equipped with a fuel tank filler pipe specifically designed to accept only a small diameter unleaded gasoline dispensing nozzle.

Gasoline detergent additives

In the United States, fuel suppliers are required by law to add detergents to their gasoline to minimize fuel-injector clogging and minimize intake-valve deposits. Detergent gasoline helps keep your engine in tune and your emission-control system working properly

Octane requirement

Your vehicle is designed to operate on unleaded gasoline having a minimum octane number of 87 [(MON+RON)/2] or 91 RON

Oxygenated gasoline

Gasoline sold at some service stations contains oxygenates such as ethanol, although the oxygenates may not be identified by those names. Oxygenates are required in some areas of the country. Such fuel can be used in your vehicle.

Ethanol (Gasohol)

A mixture of up to 10 % ethanol (grain alcohol) and 90 % unleaded gasoline may be used in your vehicle, provided the octane number is at least as high as that recommended for unleaded gasoline.

Methanol

Do not operate your vehicle on gasoline containing methanol (wood alcohol). Using this type of alcohol could adversely affect the vehicle’s performance and damage critical parts of the vehicle’s fuel system.

Reformulated gasoline

Many areas of the country require the use of cleaner burning fuel referred to as “Reformulated Gasoline”.

Reformulated gasoline contains oxygenates and is specially blended to reduce vehicle emissions and improve air quality.

Mitsubishi Motors Corporation strongly supports the use of reformulated gasoline. Properly blended reformulated gasoline has no adverse effect on vehicle performance or the durability of the engine and fuel system.

MMT (methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl)

MMT is a manganese-containing metallic additive that is blended into some gasolines to increase the octane number. Mitsubishi Motors Corporation recommends using gasolines without MMT.

Use of gasolines blended with MMT may adversely affect performance, and cause the malfunction indicator on your instrument panel to come on. If this happens, contact an authorized Mitsubishi Motors dealer or a repair facility of your choice for assistance.

Sulfur in gasoline

Your vehicle may have been designed to satisfy California’s low-emission regulations based on clean-burning low-sulfur gasoline. Gasoline sold in parts of the country other than California is allowed to have a higher sulfur content. Using such gasoline could adversely affect the vehicle’s catalytic converter and cause the engine malfunction indicator (“SERVICE ENGINE SOON” or “Check engine light”) to come on. Illumination of this indicator while using high-sulfur gasoline does not necessarily mean the vehicle’s emission-control system is malfunctioning. Your authorized Mitsubishi Motors dealer may suggest using a different, lower sulfur brand of unleaded gasoline to determine if the problem is fuel-related.
    Sorry for over-posting. I know this goes beyond ethanol, but there is some good stuff to be found here.

I was able to locate this version of the manual online somewhere and downloaded it for easy reference. Perhaps your manual is different from this. In any case, it says not to use more than 10%. I wonder why yours says different? What page should we check for your info?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)