Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirage 1.2L (3A92)... MAP or MAF? Who got what?

Mitsubishi Technician live4redline's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Exclamation Mirage 1.2L (3A92)... MAP or MAF? Who got what?

So I'm still patiently waiting to find out some of the finer details about the American Mirage release. (Still waiting for dealers to get them in stock.)

My biggest question is about the tuning format. Is the new mirage MAP (Manifold Atmospheric Pressure) or MAF (Mass Air Flow) based?

Answer:
    • Japanese Market - ???
    • European Market - 1.2L - MAP
    • European Market - 1.0L - MAF
    • Australian Market - MAP
    • Philippine Market - MAP
    • Malaysian Market - MAP
    • Puerto Rican Market - ???
    • North American Market - MAF & MAP

This picture here shows a MAP based Mirage 1.2L 3A92 engine notable by the forward facing hole in the front of the air box. I don't know what region this picture is from and would love to know if anyone's motor looks like this and where there located?
    Name:  2014_Mirage_MAP.jpg
Views: 14441
Size:  96.1 KB = MAP

In the following picture how ever the Mirage 1.2L 3A92 motor is MAF based which will prove to be sadly disappointing in early stages of modification. Note that the forward facing hole on the air box now has a multiple wire sensor that's traditional of a MAF sensor.
    Name:  2014_Mirage_MAF.jpg
Views: 15748
Size:  96.5 KB = MAF

A MAP based format will make early forced induction a breeze as the stock map sensor will allow for boost into the 7psi range with out too many issues. Higher boost levels will require a simple MAP sensor upgrade and the more challenging ECU tuning of some sort that wont be available for some time if ever. A MAF based format will be more trouble some as it requires special intakes and flanges to be made to fit the sensor out side the air box. Will require diameter testing as a change in diameters between the air box housing and the aftermarket housing will effect fuel economy and performance. Its also noted that small MAF's like what will be featured on the mirage have more trouble reading air in boosted situations and may require removal and swapping for larger more boost acceptable units from other cars. This would require ECU tuning which once again, wont be available for some time if ever. None the less a MAP based speed density format would have been ideal but I'm feeling like its not gonna happen as nearly all the other photos i find all have the MAF sensor in the air box. I would be interested in finding out who got a MAP based engine that way i could try to get my hands on a MAP based ECU so that I can do the ECU conversion or better yet do a ROM conversion to turn MAF Ecu's into MAP ones. Mitsubishi has a great habit of including MAP sensors on there MAF based cars for EGR purposes so with a ROM over write, everything's already in place to make the conversion work.

All of this will be easier once the rom is unlocked and readable but for early projects or if there issues in the ECU unlocking this little stuff can have a large impact.

Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by live4redline; 11-07-2013 at 04:02 AM.
    Daily: 2017 Mirage G4 SE - Not Boosted Yet!

Current Project: Working on legitimate Mirage Tuning

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to live4redline For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-05-2013),EtotheZ (01-03-2014),MetroMPG (11-01-2013)

Wish I'd known, and I could have gotten some answers for you while test driving the cars in Ottawa last weekend.

But we've got at least one U.S. owner on the forum now, so hopefully he'll chime in.

We also know there are differences between the western Euro market 3A92 engines and the rest of the world. (Higher compression ratio, for one thing.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    My airbox looks like the one on the first pic, which means my engine is MAP based. Philippine-market.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    We also know there are differences between the western Euro market 3A92 engines and the rest of the world. (Higher compression ratio, for one thing.)
    Info on the difference between the compression ratio's is some nice stuff to know also. When it comes time for a rebuild, it may be rather nice to buy higher compression pistons from over seas in exchange for some traditional ones. That's assuming they didn't do something more drastic and build more then one head design and there's a line of magic heads floating around out there. It wouldn't be the first time Mitsubishi made magic heads for a motor line. In all truthfulness they do it more often then most people would be willing to admit. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha_One View Post
    MAP Based - Philippine Market.

Awesome, and your cars a 5-Speed so theres indeed hope if all else fails. My second worry was that all the MAP cars would be an automatic of some sort making Rom over writing an unlikely option. =)

Thanks Alpha_One.
    Last edited by live4redline; 10-31-2013 at 02:06 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My 2014 DE looks like the second picture, the one with the wires coming out the front of the airbox.

Does MAP or MAF have any effect on a warm air intake?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 53.1 mpg (US) ... 22.6 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 63.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Interesting. Would that account somewhat for the difference in the rated power of Philippine-spec (MAP based, 77HP) compared to the American-spec (MAF based, 74HP) Mirages?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fifteenwindow View Post
    Does MAP or MAF have any effect on a warm air intake?
    MAP based cars can do anything they want with the intake and air box. That can remove it all and run and open throttle body or make there own using ebay parts and there car will still run properly. Keeping in mind that a proper intake and filter is better then no intake and no filter.

MAF based cars will require special intakes in order to remove the stock air box and piping. The piping will need to be a very specific size matching that of the tubing in the air box and will need a special flange so that you can move the MAF sensor from the stock air box to the new piping. You then have couple of special things you have to watch for in length and turbulence in your new pipe in order to get proper readings with your maf sensor. Its not a tricky as it sounds but its definitely more work then MAP based formats.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to live4redline For This Useful Post:

fifteenwindow (10-31-2013)

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    Confirmed for mine(malaysian version) is picture number one.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha_One View Post
    Interesting. Would that account somewhat for the difference in the rated power of Philippine-spec (MAP based, 77HP) compared to the American-spec (MAF based, 74HP) Mirages?
    It very well could. The map based cars wouldn't have a HP advantage butthe tune would be diffrent between the two formats and result in diffrent final numbers. Two people doing there own tunes from scratch often come up with diffrent results sort of thing.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    so the US version isn't going to be as easy to tune, then? What are you going to be tuning/doing? putting a 16boost turbo on there?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2010 Yaris 1.5 manual: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)