Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Mirage vs Used Prius

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

New Mirage vs Used Prius

I saw the thread comparing the Prius C to the Mirage and showing that you'd have to drive the Prius C over 200k miles for it to be worth paying the extra cost for the vehicle... but what about the difference between a Mirage and a used Prius? I know the Prius are reliable and the battery should last over 200k miles with heavy usage.

I drive a decent amount, maybe not more than some of the fellow forum members, but a lot of city with my part time job. I have decided I'd probably enjoy the Mirage more (stick shift, plenty of options I like, amazing warranty!) and I really like being different.

What had lead you to your decision to get the Mirage over a used Prius if the end goal is MPG?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2010 Yaris 1.5 manual: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Simplicity

Quote Originally Posted by Bretts View Post
    I saw the thread comparing the Prius C to the Mirage and showing that you'd have to drive the Prius C over 200k miles for it to be worth paying the extra cost for the vehicle... but what about the difference between a Mirage and a used Prius? I know the Prius are reliable and the battery should last over 200k miles with heavy usage.

I drive a decent amount, maybe not more than some of the fellow forum members, but a lot of city with my part time job. I have decided I'd probably enjoy the Mirage more (stick shift, plenty of options I like, amazing warranty!) and I really like being different.

What had lead you to your decision to get the Mirage over a used Prius if the end goal is MPG?
    If the end goal is efficiency, a Prius C would very likely win. You could even go farther and modify the vehicle to get even better efficiency (see the folks at ecomodder forum for hundreds of small ways). I think that Toyota makes quality cars, and a used Prius would last a long time. I live in Winnipeg, where winters are cold, summers are hot, and potholes are huge. It speaks to the Prius's quality that just about every taxi in this city has run Prius (Priui?) exclusively (only exceptions being the larger vans/mobility vehicles/limos) and they keep buying them. I don't have the fear of hybrids that some have.

That said, the Prius is still a much more sophisticated and complicated car - there are more expensive systems and technologies in a Prius. The Prius gets great efficiency through the use of these sophisticated systems. The Mirage takes a different tack, and gets its efficiency mainly through old fashion Newtonian physics. It is light, small, and aerodynamic. My bet is that the Mirage would cost less than the Prius still, given that a used Prius would have higher maintenance/servicing costs than a new Mirage, unless you were driving considerably more than average miles/year.

I've been thinking about the new Mazda3, which gets great efficiency through a high-compression direct injection engine. While I don't have the mechanical knowledge to know - I am a little skeptical of this new technology at this time because I am unsure of it's long-term reliability (sort of like turbos, which give more power, but not for "free").

So, in sum, if you want best MPG, I'd get a Prius. Lowest cost of ownership, my bet is the Mirage. I suspect the Mazda will be the clear winner if "fun to drive" is part of the equation.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Canoehead For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-27-2013)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am thinking about trading my '13 civic for the 13' Prius C instead of trading my wife's SUV for a measly $4000 towards the Mirage... I love my Civic, but two car notes may be pushing it (even if one the notes would only be $12k finances) and may be better off getting the Prius and once that is paid off getting a better SUV since we have three kids to tote around. I am still undecided and while I really like the Mirage am unsure if this is the best route.

Trade Civic ($373 a month, more than 60 payments left) to get a Prius C with the same length of payments paying $410/month. Saving $70/month on gas @ $3 a gallon.

Trade SUV that will likely need maintenance soon (timing belt, water pump, new plugs and wires) and take on another car payment $220/month + $373/month = $593/month. both my wife and I would save gas (maybe $60/month) and would both have new cars with warranties.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2010 Yaris 1.5 manual: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Is the main goal saving money, or getting great MPG?

Sounds like saving money, but I'm just checking...

(Some people don't mind spending money for MPG bragging rights, in the same way others spend money for 0-60 bragging rights.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I want to say end goal is saving money, which may means I am better off trading my Civic for the Mirage or getting a USED Prius.

edit: My wife would also be really mad if I got a 5spd car, which I would prefer on a 3banger.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    If you're trying to save money, a new car is almost never the best way to go.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am comfortable where I am at with the $373/month car note... but I would like to save gas. ~26mpg seems like a waste of money. I'm conflicted... Love my Honda, though.

Perhaps I will look at trading my Wife's SUV for a used Prius - this seems like it would be a good pizza delivery vehicle. I've heard the GEN2 Pri..Prius' are great delivery vehicles.

http://www.communitytoyota.com/used/..._Baytown_Texas

This forum is never going to grow if we tell people not to buy new cars.

("Welcome to MirageForum... Don't buy a new Mirage!!! Or any new car!")

But Daox is right. Buying new cars rarely makes sense in the big financial picture (goal of saving money/increasing net worth). Especially if you finance them.

Though obviously financing a new $13k car is a lot less problematic than a new $23k one. (Trying to dig myself out here...)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Mitsubishi Technician live4redline's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Your first mistake was considering a Prius. The second mistake will be if you buy one. :P

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    LOL! Any reason for that live4redline? I don't know, maybe I am getting hung up on this. Perhaps I should just keep my Civic and my wife's SUV until we really need another vehicle and then I can figure out if the mirage or a used prius (maybe not??) is a good route.