Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Information about the Mirage CVT (Jatco CVT7 JF015E) operation, video, diagrams

I thought the same way. But after never seeing any real wear and tear other than a failed thrust washer........ It's not like the belt slips when you're not moving. I haven't noticed a lot of noticeable wear on the 2 I've torn apart. Keep the oil clean and at the proper level and you shouldn't have any problems. Until that washer craps out just after warranty is up.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Ha. Lookin forward to it.
    Thanks.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-03-2018)

The mention of acclerated wear in cold conditions makes me wonder if a stick-on heating element might be a worthwhile mod for northern owners.

Block heater to warm the coolant; trans heater to warm the CVT oil. Warm, happy drivetrain.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-07-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    The mention of acclerated wear in cold conditions makes me wonder if a stick-on heating element might be a worthwhile mod for northern owners.

Block heater to warm the coolant; trans heater to warm the CVT oil. Warm, happy drivetrain.
    What about a pan heater for the CVT?

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/oil-pan-heater

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-03-2018)

That'd probably be a good idea. And for those with that need more cooling, it seems like you could use a cvt cooler like in the pic that eggman posted on page 5 with 4 ports on it. The 2 flow coolant and the other 2 are cvt fluid, just hook up an auxilary cooler and mount it somewhere in front of the rad. Would be an easy mod.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    when does the cvt fluid need changing

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Any advice on how to properly accelerate/ understanding the driving dynamics of the cvt?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Any advice on how to properly accelerate/ understanding the driving dynamics of the cvt?
    Pasted from another thread:

OK, here is the deal with “B”. The Jatco CVT in the Mirage is a 2 speed CVT. Mitsubishi has programmed thie CVT for maximum economy. This results in pretty horrible acceleration in “D”. I drive my CVT like a manual almost all the time. I put the transmission into neutral at every stop. I manually downshift into “B” to slow down and take off from a stop in “B” every time and manually upshift into “D” about 30mph. Try using “B” from a stop and give it a healthy dose of throttle and don’t let up and upshift into “D” at 50 mph. You’ll really be able to feel the difference. I’ve downshifted into “B” at 70 mph and the rpm’s were about 4700 so you’re not going to over rev the engine or anything like that. Not that the Mirage is a powerhouse by any means but if you take off using “B” and just floor it and hold it you will be surprised. Take a look at my fuel log with almost 4 years and over 64k miles of tracking, my mpg’s have been pretty consistent

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (10-16-2020),Eggman (03-17-2019),MetroMPG (03-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    To what end? Maximum acceleration or maximum fuel economy?

Fuel economy advice from Mitsu:

Thread: Rally driver gives fuel economy tips for driving the CVT Mirage (Video)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    To get as much life out of the CVT, meaning 150k to 175k miles. Ive researched how to properly maintain the CVT (thanks to Fummins, Cobrajet and other wise souls on here) but only nominal bits on how to drive it. Example: Just dont dog it out or if the eco light is on your not putting to much pressure on your engine/tranny. Any advice is much appreciated.