Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Information about the Mirage CVT (Jatco CVT7 JF015E) operation, video, diagrams

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by palebeachbum View Post
    I have the CVT. It cannot maintain only 1900rpm at 70mph. Cruising at that speed on a flat stretch of highway the engine revs 2500rpm. I have no idea how you are able to only rev 1900rpm unless maybe you are driving much much slower.
    That is correct I stay at 60mph or less.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 54.7 mpg (US) ... 23.3 km/L ... 4.3 L/100 km ... 65.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrero View Post
    That is correct I stay at 60mph or less.
    I see that you are averaging 60mpg? That's fantastic! My Mirage per tank is averaging only 41-44mpg. The terrain where I live is very hilly and the roads are fast. Is the terrain very flat where you live? I'm finding that I'm only averaging 2-4mpg better in this much smaller 3cyl Mirage than I was with my 2012 Nissan Versa sedan, which weighs 500lbs more and has a larger 1.6L 109hp 4cyl. I'm a bit disappointed with the MPG I'm getting from my Mirage. My logic is that the Versa was rated 38mpg hwy. and I was averaging 37-42mpg in that car. So with this Mirage being rated at 44mpg hwy., I was expecting to average 43-48mpg. Since I'm getting quite a bit less than that, I'm lead to believe the Mirage engine is working a lot harder to do the same commute.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    It is winter, and its colder out. That drops your mileage considerably. You'll be getting better mileage when summer rolls around again.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Phantasmagoria
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey, I did figure out how to save data from Dashcommand, but the file is a huge excel file. So I just did some averages for different speeds.

At:

25 miles per hour - 1260 RPM
    55 - 1850 RPM
    60 - 2285 RPM
    65 - 2468 RPM
    70 - 2600 RPM

These are averages of a LOT (hundreds) of data points.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DonHoot For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-14-2015),inuvik (02-26-2018)

Toyota's new CVT uses a sub-gearbox as well

I just read about Toyota's new CVT meant for use on its 2.0L engines, and they said it has:

class-leading gear ratio range of 7.5 for the 2.0-liter class.
    Double-checked and the CVT-7 used in the Mirage has a 7.3 ratio spread, which they claimed as class leading at the time (without specifying engine displacement class).

The Toyota CVT also incorporates a 2-speed sub-gearbox setup like the Mirage for better launch response (and a wider ratio spread for better fuel economy), except that the Toyota's low gear is direct drive instead of belt drive.

Source: http://www.greencarcongress.com/2018...26-toyota.html

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

fc321 (01-03-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Knowing that websites sometimes change, information gets lost and URL links no longer work, I think it is helpful to post stuff here to share and to preserve. I've tried to format the body of text for easier reading, and highlighted interesting bits with bold text.

Special thanks to Automatic Transmission Spare Parts (atspareparts.com). Visit their site and consider them when ordering parts.

Automatic Transmission Spare Parts (atspareparts.com): JF015E Transmission
    Quote Originally Posted by Automatic Transmission Spare Parts (atspareparts.com): JF015E Transmission
    In 2010, Jatco released the next generation of new CVTs JF015 (RE0F11A) to replace its best-selling JF011E. The constructive idea is fundamentally different from its predecessor (JF011E). The JF015 also has a torque converter that softens the load on the shafts, a planetary gear for reverse gear, but the main feature is two forward rungs and three clutch packs: Direct No.1 (Low), No.2 (High) and Reverse.

This design can be considered a hybrid of the CVT and a two-speed gearbox, which allows to reduce the cone, increasing the gear ratio with the help of two forward gears. The cones do not use the most risky zones near the center and at the edge, where the fastest break in the belt is slipping. And since the cone is the most expensive and problematic part of the CVT, then in addition to saving in the size of the CVT, increased reliability was expected with a noticeable saving in the price of this CVT hybrid.

The designers of the step automatic transmissions today have achieved almost imperceptible switching and have decided that if the car is overclocked by this CVT one time there will be a gear change as in a stepped automatic transmission, then the driver will not notice it. Well, or will be ready to turn a blind eye to this for such money, because the reliability of the work is guaranteed at the same time.

The new generation of Jatco CVTs JF015 (RE0F11A) is planned to be the next best seller for front wheel drive light vehicles with engines from 1.2 (L3) to 1.8 liters (L4): Nissan Juke, Micra (according to Nissan classification - RE0F11A), Mirage, March, Roox, Tiida, Moco.

As JF015E this CVT since 2012 is massively installed on Suzuki Swift, Splash, Alto, Solio, Lapin and on some Mitsubishi models. And the list of cars with the JF015E is constantly expanding. Changes in the design are mainly associated with the desire to make it even more economical, compact, with an expanded (up and down) zone of gear ratios without harm to the image of the Jatco CVTs as "long-playing".

The filters in the CVTs JF015 are two:
    - The main coarse filter with metal with a mesh, is in the pan and serves a very long time. To change it is necessary during overhaul, at strong pollution of oil if the oil smells burning and frictional overlays are eaten up to a glutinous layer.
    - The second filter cartridge JF015E - fine post-cleaning, paper, is installed from the outside for regular replacement. This division of the filtering system into two parts in the Jatco CVTs is recognized as useful and has developed: a thin-film cartridge here is more capacious than the predecessor JF011E. On it designers did not save.

Jatco engineers recommend for the age-old cars to replace the filter cartridge at the same time with a change of engine oil and with every change of Nissan oil for CVTs, especially after the end of the warranty period. And according to the state of this filter (and pan magnets), masters can determine the degree of wear of the nodes and hardware.

The oil is of the type NS-3 (for heavily loaded CVTs from ICE to 2 liters, many use NS-2). It changes by the method of partial replacement. This high-performance CVT JF015 (RE0F11A) is very demanding on the cleanliness and oil level.

Parts for rebuild and overhaul of the CVT JF015 (RE0F11A):

1) When rebuilding the CVT, it is necessary to change the friction clutch and repair the torque converter.

2) "Childhood Illnesses" of CVT JF015 resemble the typical problems of the predecessor JF011. I must say that the problems are most often manifested after decent mileage and can be described as "depreciation of consumables". The rebuild is carried out with the replacement of the consumables - the repair kit of gaskets for seals and stuffing boxes. The most relevant for CVT JF015 (RE0F11A) is the replacement of teflon rings, which are changed along with the repair of the input shaft or with the change of clutches, or the change of bearings, or the change of the belt, since operation with worn rings shortens the resource of all these parts very quickly. Rarely order complete overhaul kits Precision, twice as often - "light" ATOK overhaul kits.

The set of clutches JF015 consists of three different types of clutches. In one of 5 cases, a set of steel plates JF015 is also ordered. Also sometimes a set of 2 rubberized pistons JF015 (piston + retainer) is ordered. An electric step-motor for changing the gear ratio as a weak link is no longer used here.

3) A typical problem of JF015 is the failure of the input shaft bearing. The design cause can be considered a weak primary shaft. The first years of the installation of the valve body were carried out so "democratically" that the gas pedal brought this bearing to an early demise in the first year of operation. The shaft warps with extreme loads, vibrations arise and breaks the entire assembly with these vibrations.

These bearings appeared on the market and are included in the list of "childhood diseases" of the CVT JF015E. If you continue to ride with this problem, hoping that the disease somehow self-healing, it breaks and the primary shaft itself, the replacement of which - the problem (put in used). Owners of cars with this CVT should be borne in mind that CVTs are designed for comfortable trips through a traffic jammed city. For racing ahead of the created DSG, well, or non-slip stepped automatic transmission.

4) The petal type pump creates enormous pressure, it has the same weak valve in its design as its predecessor. With a sharp increase in the oil pressure, this valve is pressed against the wall of the casing with a skew. This in dirty oil leads to surface wear, the valve sticks, the pressure in the line drops. The valve changes with the pump. A repair valve is available on the market, but apart from the valve, wear also appears on the mating part of the pump casing. Therefore, until the whole pump is replaced. Infantile disease of the first years.

5) The drive belt is a pushing, with 9 ribbons, of a proven design as that of older brothers. It is related to the Honda and Nissan CVT belts (RE0F21A). The timely replacement of the belt, which has not yet completely worn out the protector helps extend the life of the cones, which are the main and most expensive knot of the CVT.
    The drive belt does not like dirty and cold oil. Frequent operation in winter at an oil temperature of ATF below +60 deg.C leads to slippage and damage and the belt and cones.
    The drive belt is a typical consumable for all age CVTs of Jatco. In the market there are only original belts. It is important to install the belt strictly in the direction of the rotation arrow, otherwise the belt immediately tears!

6) In the hardware of JF015E there is a "childhood illness" - replacement of the broken sun gear. Although the planet Jatсo has significantly strengthened by installing bearings instead of bushings, the 612 solar gear is structurally reminiscent of the infamous 6T40 American gear and it is quickly broken by extreme loads during acceleration from the site.

7) In neglected cases of long-term operation with a broken sun gear, the whole planetary gear must be changed (there is only used)

8) The valve body, like all electronic components of the 21st century, is significantly modified, modified and sometimes causes the JF015 (RE0F11A) CVT to fail, especially in the early years of running-in of "childhood diseases". Solenoids are changing. The speed sensors remained unchanged from previous modifications. There are different modifications for different manufacturers.

9) Sets of solenoids are changed to 5 pieces. Wear of solenoids is due to dirt in the oil, is provoked by the wear of the rings and seals, because of which the pump starts to drive the oil more and more flow to compensate for the lack of pressure on the clutches. Therefore, the solenoids are changed simultaneously with all gaskets and rings of overhaul kit.

10) The problem of the bearing of the drive shaft and the bearings of the driven shaft should be expected with frequent driving with a "slip" belt. In this case, the sensors scream to the computer about slippage and that through the solenoids adds oil pressure to the shafts to a maximum of 60 bar, which protects the shaft cone from damage, but overloads and quickly ages the bearings (and belts). Slippage is aggravated in two cases: "cold oil" and "dirty oil". Bearings declare their illnesses with a "rumble" or "howl".
    If the vibrations in one bearing start, then it is necessary to change such bearing as soon as possible. If you continue to operate with vibrations, waiting for louder "bells", then chain reaction all other bearings fail. Therefore, often the owners order to replace all 4 bearings with a set.

11) Often a single pump gland is replaced, when you need to cosmetically "brush" the CVT before selling. With the replacement of the stuffing box, it is recommended that the torque converter be repaired if the gearbox passed over 60,000 miles and was operated frequently with extreme loads. Otherwise, the omentum will flow again pretty soon. Also often change the set of teflon rings, when there is a problem to save on the purchase of repair kits.

That heat exchanger looks different from what Fummins has posted... Hm.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (07-05-2020),inuvik (03-31-2018),MetroMPG (04-03-2018),Top_Fuel (04-03-2018)

Yeah that's probably a Nissan or other mfg cooler in that pic. I wonder if the extra lines are for coolant or cvt fluid?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    After reading the whole thing through I'm left with the impression these CVT's are crap.
    With all the wear and tear associated with simply pressing the "gas pedal" I don't expect a long life from it.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

fc321 (05-20-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    After reading the whole thing through I'm left with the impression these CVT's are crap.
    With all the wear and tear associated with simply pressing the "gas pedal" I don't expect a long life from it.
    Maybe. I pick up on a language issue with choice of words that leads me to wonder how much of this really applies to our version of these. Still might be helpful though. Maybe Fummins can help back up some of these claims.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)