Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: REAR plate mounting options

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Angry REAR plate mounting options

How is everyone else's rear plate mounted on their car? Tim Short Mitsubishi mounted mine totally mounted mine crooked. Looks like they just drove some self tapping screws in with a drill! One hole is almost 1/2" lower. I also will need to figure out a way to mount a front plate because TN doesn't use front plates and they didn't ask if I needed one. I also included a picture of the dealer's contact response.Name:  crooked plate.jpg
Views: 1170
Size:  95.5 KBName:  amanda.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  87.8 KB

Too late now but it's probably not worth complaining about it. If they couldn't mount a plate properly would you really want them to try and fix it? It's just screws that go into a plastic bumper, not a big deal imo. Besides, it'd take 5 seconds to fix it yourself. It's not gonna drop the resale value anymore.

But it's your car, do what you feel is right. It shouldn't have left the lot like that. Are you gonna try and make them buy you a new bumper cover now or what's the plan now? Maybe see if they'll throw in a front plate mount bracket for you unless you plan to go with the tow hook bracket style?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Christopher_B (02-05-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah the guy who details are car normally tosses on the plates at dealerships. They dont give 2 shats. Trust me your time and effort vs what they'll actually do for you isnt going to be worth it. If they thought that was ok they dont care. Plus they make next to nothing selling mirages anyways.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I know the opinions on this will most likely be divided. This is one reason I always said I would never buy another new car. I am very particular. If I buy brand new I want it perfect until I screw it up. If I buy used I expect to find flaws. My buddy who works at a transmission shop says they should put on a new bumper. I really don't want anyone touching my car other than mounting new tires because I don't have the equipment. I imagine if they trust somebody who doesn't care enough to mount it the plate properly what are the chances clips and such would be reinstalled correctly? Of course I'd like a new bumper but they are 4 hours away and they aren't going to offer that anyway. If they offered some money in parts credit I would be happy with that. I am looking into a better way to mount it away from the paint. Is this part number mz314797 just a frame as it is listed? I also asked dealer badges to be removed. They got the one of the paint but left the one across the windshield. Of course the pictures they sent me before the car left the lot did not show the window decal nor the crooked plate. It would appear it would have been easy to hold the frame against the upper ledge before drilling. I would have preferred they tape the plate in the windshield for transport and let me deal with it. Here is a vehicle they have in stock now and the plate looks fairly level. Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  19.7 KB
    Last edited by Christopher_B; 02-04-2021 at 04:17 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What are all the cutouts and holes in the rear cover there for? Anyone know? It looks like there would be something made to hold a license plate. Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  16.9 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Too late now but it's probably not worth complaining about it. If they couldn't mount a plate properly would you really want them to try and fix it? It's just screws that go into a plastic bumper, not a big deal imo. Besides, it'd take 5 seconds to fix it yourself. It's not gonna drop the resale value anymore.

But it's your car, do what you feel is right. It shouldn't have left the lot like that. Are you gonna try and make them buy you a new bumper cover now or what's the plan now? Maybe see if they'll throw in a front plate mount bracket for you unless you plan to go with the tow hook bracket style?
    I will most likely go with the tow hook style but would consider a factory bracket. I wonder why they don't offer a rear plate bracket? It would seem driving around with the plate against the paint would scratch the crap out of it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_B View Post
    I know the opinions on this will most likely be divided. This is one reason I always said I would never buy another new car. I am very particular. If I buy brand new I want it perfect until I screw it up. If I buy used I expect to find flaws. My buddy who works at a transmission shop says they should put on a new bumper. I really don't want anyone touching my car other than mounting new tires because I don't have the equipment. I imagine if they trust somebody who doesn't care enough to mount it the plate properly what are the chances clips and such would be reinstalled correctly? Of course I'd like a new bumper but they are 4 hours away and they aren't going to offer that anyway. If they offered some money in parts credit I would be happy with that. I am looking into a better way to mount it away from the paint. Is this part number mz314797 just a frame as it is listed? I also asked dealer badges to be removed. They got the one of the paint but left the one across the windshield. Of course the pictures they sent me before the car left the lot did not show the window decal nor the crooked plate. It would appear it would have been easy to hold the frame against the upper ledge before drilling. I would have preferred they tape the plate in the windshield for transport and let me deal with it. Here is a vehicle they have in stock now and the plate looks fairly level. Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  19.7 KB
    From working at a dealership for a 2 years and a Mitsubishi 1 at that. You have 0% and I mean absolutely 0% chance of getting a new bumper for a license plate hole. Especially since you can literally un screw it and then level it and screw it back and you'd never notice. It's literally the cheapest car in America. If they paid for a new bumper it would literally cost them to sell you the car.
    Last edited by Clessy; 02-04-2021 at 04:35 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clessy View Post
    From working at a dealership for a 2 years and a Mitsubishi 1 at that. You have 0% and I mean absolutely 0% chance of getting a new bumper for a license plate hole. Especially since you can literally un screw it and then level it and screw it back and you'd never notice. It's literally the cheapest car in America. If they paid for a new bumper it would literally cost them to sell you the car.
    I understand what you are saying. Should a customer of a cheaper car be treated differently of another? New is new. A hole in the fender or a missing hubcap wouldn't affect its capabilities either but they probably wouldn't send it out that way.

Everyone's time is valuable. That is why we get paid for going to work. If I have to spend my time fixing what I already paid them to do shouldn't I be compensated somehow. I know I won't get a bumper. I read other people's horror stories as well including an owner of a new mustang that had holes drilled under the license plate mounting holes because the installer thought the existing holes were for parking sensors.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I understand what you are saying. Should a customer of a cheaper car be treated differently of another? New is new. A hole in the fender or a missing hubcap wouldn't affect its capabilities either but they probably wouldn't send it out that way.

Everyone's time is valuable. That is why we get paid for going to work. If I have to spend my time fixing what I already paid them to do shouldn't I be compensated somehow. I know I won't get a bumper. I read other people's horror stories as well including an owner of a new mustang that had holes drilled under the license plate mounting holes because the installer thought the existing holes were for parking sensors.
    Just dont be shocked for them to give you a big eff off who cares. Your license plates going to cover the hole. Does it suck? I dont even know it comes off more as a who cares. But I do understand your point because me living in a state without front license plates wont buy a car at the has holes in the front bumper where a plate would be. I HATE IT. So everyone has their own things they take issue with but, I feel like this is a dont sweat it type of thing because you'll forget it about it in a weeks time.

Also I know you hate to hear this but, to a sales person and a dealership no, everyones time isnt equally valuable. If you're where buying a mirage from me I wouldn't be rude or not care but i would haggle or give you more than 30 minutes of my time to make up your mind. I made $100 for selling one of these things vs around 500 per outland sport 700 for outlander and anywhere up to $1700 for a used car. To get the car sold paperwork and all that its normally a 1 to 3 hour window. $33.33 an hour doesnt get me excited to be losing time with my family and staying late at a dealership.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I also will need to figure out a way to mount a front plate...
    You can check this thread for ideas: Really Cheap and Quick Front License Plate Relocation!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)