Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thrumpy :: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage DE (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Thrumpy
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage DE
    Silver
    Manual 5 speed

Firs pic car stock. Next pics I added smooth wheel covers for better aero : ) (homemade).

Also parking lights in headlight replaced with LEDs.
    Taillight LEDs has been ordered.

Comments: 30 / Views: 28019
    Bikerfreind
    Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    I'm thinking about if there is a 6 speed gear box that will fit on the mirage?
    Would it be possible?

( I had a old Opel Ascona 1978, org. With 4 speed gear box, but it could get a 5 speed gear box with a few mods .. )

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by uheym View Post
    I'm thinking about if there is a 6 speed gear box that will fit on the mirage?
    Would it be possible?

( I had a old Opel Ascona 1978, org. With 4 speed gear box, but it could get a 5 speed gear box with a few mods .. )
    Sorry I missed this!
    Anything is possible but I would not go through the trouble.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I find LEDs irresistable...so I made this 'prototype' scuff plate/sill plate.

Name:  P1016439 (Medium).JPG
Views: 2212
Size:  28.4 KB

Name:  P1016441 (Medium).JPG
Views: 2257
Size:  34.6 KB

It's basically a piece of plexi glass with a black sticker on it that I cut the mirage text out with an exacto knife and is backlit by 6 RGB (Red Green Blue) LEDs. Only hooked up blue.
    Bottom of plexi glass is scuffed with sandpaper to scatter light to the top surface. Also stuck a strip of aluminium tape to the bottom to enhance reflectivity but that makes it a bit bubbly looking through the letters so I might remove that.

Has double sided tape on the bottom perimeter. It's not hooked up yet but planning to hook to the circuit that runs the dome lights/cargo lights.

You can find them on the net but I was not brave enough to order from the site that I saw it on.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

Eggman (06-25-2016),mitsumi (05-13-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Looks Great!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dplane View Post

Name:  P1016439 (Medium).JPG
Views: 2212
Size:  28.4 KB

Name:  P1016441 (Medium).JPG
Views: 2257
Size:  34.6 KB

It's basically a piece of plexi glass with a black sticker on it that I cut the mirage text out with an exacto knife and is backlit by 6 RGB (Red Green Blue) LEDs. Only hooked up blue.
    Bottom of plexi glass is scuffed with sandpaper to scatter light to the top surface. Also stuck a strip of aluminium tape to the bottom to enhance reflectivity but that makes it a bit bubbly looking through the letters so I might remove that.

Has double sided tape on the bottom perimeter. It's not hooked up yet but planning to hook to the circuit that runs the dome lights/cargo lights.

You can find them on the net but I was not brave enough to order from the site that I saw it on.
    Looks great. I'm actually thinking of extending the courtesy lighting system as the single dome light at the front is not enough especially for the rear passengers. Problem is I don't know where and how to connect the wiring etc.

If you are going ahead with this project, maybe you could write something up in a new thread. It will be very helpful.

Thanks

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 48.1 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Any updates? Its been a while. You mention LED tail light bulbs ordered in the garage entry, but they didn't work out for you?
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Any updates? Its been a while. You mention LED tail light bulbs ordered in the garage entry, but they didn't work out for you?
    Correct Tim! Actually saying LED tail lights did not work out is a huge understatement! It will screw with the ABS and traction control so bad that at some point the Mirage will refuse to go over 45 MPH!!! (until you turn the lights to the off position and cycle the key off!
    Plus the ABS,ESC and maybe the red brake warning light will turn on with all kinds of brake switch circuit DTCs set!

I think I wrote my adventures in the old thread about saving 25 watts (LED parking lights).It was a hassle having to solder diodes in the wiring to keep from back feeding into the third brake light and into the parking lights etc.
    Yeah LED tail lights and the Mirage do not play well together unfortunately! Maybe on the 17 model since it has factory LEDs if I'm not mistaken.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

eulogylife (03-27-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Thanks. I briefly read it after posting here as I was searching for LED info.

Any other updates to the car that we missed?
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Correct Tim! Actually saying LED tail lights did not work out is a huge understatement! It will screw with the ABS and traction control so bad that at some point the Mirage will refuse to go over 45 MPH!!! (until you turn the lights to the off position and cycle the key off!
    Plus the ABS,ESC and maybe the red brake warning light will turn on with all kinds of brake switch circuit DTCs set!

I think I wrote my adventures in the old thread about saving 25 watts (LED parking lights).It was a hassle having to solder diodes in the wiring to keep from back feeding into the third brake light and into the parking lights etc.
    Yeah LED tail lights and the Mirage do not play well together unfortunately! Maybe on the 17 model since it has factory LEDs if I'm not mistaken.
    I had a very similar experience. The ABS light would come on and go off almost randomly. Sometimes if I turned the key off and back on the light would go off. Other times it thought the brakes were always being applied and the vehicle wouldn't accelerate at all. Needless to say I took them out after one day of use. I didn't want to have to bother with soldering and such... so thats that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.3 mpg (US) ... 18.4 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Added to the following stickies:
    Mirage Modifications, Customizations, and DIY list
    Interior, Audio & Video Sticky Index

And thanks for being a fuel consumption hero!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)