Thread: Test Driven the Mirage's competition.... Chevy Spark

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Test Driven the Mirage's competition.... Chevy Spark

I already own the Mirage but i was wondering about its very close competition, Chevrolet spark.
    From the sticker, it didnt provide the 40 mpg rating like the Mirage and it's a 4 cylinder engine, but the price is very close with the 2LT and MIrage ES w/ bells and whistles except the reverse camera.

The drive:
    The car is sturdy. Suspension was stiff and able to handle corners at a higher rate of speed than the mirage ( whole lot of body roll). The Spark also has a CVT but it's not as intuitive as the Mirage's CVT where you'd probably get your coffee from Starbucks a lot faster than getting up to speed with the Spark, 0-40mph felt like i just turned one year older.

The interior:
    The dash looks and feels welcoming. Their touch screen looks good but if you dont have a smart phone, you're probably limited to what you can access. All i can say is that comparing the MIrage ES system vs Spark 2LT system, the only difference are the voice command, more intuitive navigation ( for spark you need a smart phone), Thats all. The gauges on the Spark , i admit, looks really cool. It looks like a sport motorcycle's gauge slapped in the tiny box with wheels.

2LT comes with leatherette seats which are ok sitting on the front but feels like a solid bench sitting on the rear seats. Trunk space is just like the mirage.

Overall Review:
    This is no doubt a city car, or should i say a village car. If you want to have a little bit more of a tiny box-mini-van-feel, Chevrolet Spark is the way to go. The styling is more modern than the mirage but you're better off having a better acceleration in a golf cart than with the Spark. The only thing that i do admire about the Spark is the Suspension. Only if the Mirage came with a stiffer and less of boat-feel suspension, it would have been a perfect city car. On the other hand, I still like the performance that the mirage offers.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pureflipking For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-11-2013),MetroMPG (11-11-2013)

Thanks for posting that! I didn't realize the Spark CVT was already out there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Thanks, awaiting your next post purchase test drive

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Thanks for posting that! I didn't realize the Spark CVT was already out there.
    no problem. and apparently they now have a Plug-in Spark

Country
    Netherlands
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    mm do not like that dash
    maybe in real it looks better but still dont like that instrument panel.
    did you not make pictures? this is a rendered picture to the looks of it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spacester View Post
    mm do not like that dash
    maybe in real it looks better but still dont like that instrument panel.
    did you not make pictures? this is a rendered picture to the looks of it.
    i didnt take photos of it, the photo posted was an internet photo but it really looks like that

One difference that I was very surprised to learn...

The Spark supposedly has way more interior cargo room than the Mirage, despite being a shorter, narrower car.

Rear seats folded:

~31 cubic feet / 877 L in the Spark

~17 cubic feet / 481 L in the Mirage

This is from the manufacturers' web sites. (There may still be an error...)

One difference that might account for this is the Spark has "flip/folding" rear seats, which gives you a flat cargo floor all the way to the front seats. The Mirage rear seats only fold, so you don't get a flat floor, and it eats into cargo volume. The Spark also has a higher roof, and less tapered (less aerodynamic) roof line.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    It has to be an error or something. There is no way the Spark has TWICE the interior cargo area of the Mirage.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    http://www.subcompactculture.com/201...hi-mirage.html

11. The Following User Says Thank You to pureflipking For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-21-2013)