Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why so few options/trim levels?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Why so few options/trim levels?

It seems that if buying here in Canada, one can choose between the ES or SE, and if the SE is chosen, the convenience package. As such, if I want cruise control from the factory (which would be nice, but isn't essential), I have to buy the SE with convenience package. This represents an increase of about 27% over the base price (before freight etc). The options that can be added a la carte on the base model are mostly plastic cosmetic things.

Does it seem like there are fewer choices on the Mirage than other cars?

Also, given that many shoppers will be considering not the class of the car/size, but rather the price point, it seems the SE is in a whole different world of vehicles to compete with. The ES looks like a great value compared to a Spark or Versa Note, but the SE would have to be compared with the base Mazda3, Honda Fit, Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla and Yaris. I cannot imagine it will do well in test drives against those models.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Not much choice there. In Australia we get 3 levels to choose from plus a lot of extras that can be added.
    Maybe they will give you more choice once they get going well?

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    There are 6 different options in NL. http://www.mitsubishi-motors.nl/uplo...Star%20Def.pdf
    There is no option for cruise control from factory and there is no steering wheel audio control in NL like the US version which I would very much like to have.
    4 standard extra packages to add to every options.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking of. The base version is a nice value, but the SE version puts it in another category of car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    We will have to start finding and trading part numbers so we can get the features we all want.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It can't compete with my Honda Civic in any area other then the keyless entry and the MPG... Unfortunately Honda has archaic key fobs and no push button start, which I'm not saying is a bad thing - but if you drive like I do these are amazing features. I'm still wondering if I am going to trade for a Mirage or not...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2010 Yaris 1.5 manual: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Going back to the trim levels... I kind of wish there were less. Just one base model and you added exactly what options you wanted. No 'package' with extra junk you don't want. You want cruise control? You pay for cruise control. I think they use the packages to rope you into buying more than you really want.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Madison320 (04-16-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    most of the added options could be added in after the fact for cheaper with better quality products. the only thing I want from the ES package is, like I said, the fast entry/push button start.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2010 Yaris 1.5 manual: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Going back to the trim levels... I kind of wish there were less. Just one base model and you added exactly what options you wanted. No 'package' with extra junk you don't want. You want cruise control? You pay for cruise control. I think they use the packages to rope you into buying more than you really want.
    Agreed on the a la carte options. I have never really understood, for example, the idea of fancy alloy wheels on economy cars. I find them to be lipstick on a pig, so to speak, as the performance and look of these cars is generally not that great with or without. I really cannot see a Mirage with super-cool wheels really impressing the ladies, or the guys in the car club, or anyone, really - and I expect the up-charge is around $1000. There is a difference between a super-car with and without alloys, but at this level it seems meaningless.

My perfect Mirage has a block heater, plastic cargo tray, bed-liner on the rocker panels, cruise control and little else.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    New Zealand
    Thanks
    I think it all comes down to price - less options = lower cost which probably makes up for the "expensive" active and passive safety systems built in.
    In NZ we have have 2 spec levels with CVT only. Some dealerships are doing special editions but in most cases you could probably source after market items cheaper yourself.