Thread: Can one learn to drive the CVT in way that matches the manual's fuel ecomomy?

Banned
    Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Question Can one learn to drive the CVT in way that matches the manual's fuel ecomomy?

I bought the CVT based on the fact that the Canadian government NRC fuel economy measurements showed that the CVT was more efficient than the manual. I was very upset when I found out that the NRC had mislead me in spending more for a model that actually was LESS efficient. Despite the fact that, based on the fuel ecomomy averages posted here on this website showing that the manual is actually better in real world driving conditions, I've been getting quite good milage from the CVT. Is there any way that the CVT can be driven (in the city) in a way that will match the manual or is it always going to come second in terms of efficiency?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yes!
    Half the fun is figuring it out ; )

The CVT will always try to find the lowest possible rpm if you let it. When leaving a stop light for example, accelerate normally to near travel speed then ease off the gas allowing the rpm to drop while your car achieves cruising speed. The CVT will allow the engine to run at near stall, matching the effect of the manual trans.
    Change your driving style to make best use of the car.
    A large part of fuel economy is technique.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Banned
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I suspect that the CVT is at least as good as the manual because there has been a steady improvement in fuel efficiency as I've learned how to drive it.

There's another Mirage owner / forum member in Vancouver. Maybe you could meet up to exchange notes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Banned
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    There's another Mirage owner / forum member in Vancouver. Maybe you could meet up to exchange notes.
    He must have the only other one in Vancouver. Since I bought the car 3 months ago I haven't seen a single other Mirage in Vancouver. Personally I sort of like the idea that I'm driving one of the the most hated cars in North American. The masses are generally idiots and going opposite the herd is a badge of honour for me.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mine is CVT. I'm finding there is a technique, RPMs need to stay around 2000-2500. I'm getting 45-49 mpg to work, and 39-41 on the way home (uphill). Very little if any sudden accelerating. This is the start of my second week of owning this car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    One thing that I have noticed is if I take off too slow from stoplights then the gas mileage is not as good as when I take off like a normal person and then just maintain my speed. Changing speed seems to kill the mileage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

Banned
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnarles2 View Post
    One thing that I have noticed is if I take off too slow from stoplights then the gas mileage is not as good as when I take off like a normal person and then just maintain my speed. Changing speed seems to kill the mileage.
    I've just noticed this myself. I'm now driving much more "normally" than I did when I first started to try and improve my fuel economy. My initial problem was giving too much gas during acceleration and then the problem became giving too little. Now I find the spot were the car is nicely accelerating but don't give it any more than that and then... once I'm up to speed, I back off and get the rpms as low as possible. This seems to be giving better and better results. Also the fact that the temperatures have have warmed up in Vancouver to the point where it isn't necessary to even wear a jacket might have something to do with it.
    Last edited by nternal1; 05-12-2015 at 10:11 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nternal1 For This Useful Post:

Gnarles2 (05-12-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That is very true. It seems that the hotter it is outside the better the gas mileage seems to get. But once it gets to a certain point I will have to use the A/C and then it will go back down again. I have not really had to use the air except for one day when it was hot and raining. Other than that I am enjoying having the windows down after such a cold winter.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)