Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have you owned / driven an older Mirage, Colt or Space Star?

Have you owned / driven an older Mirage, Colt or Space Star?

I once nearly bought a second-hand early-1980's Colt (marketed in Canada by Chrysler):

Name:  r960-97b312ef9a466738f667d0dd59f452d0.jpg
Views: 4021
Size:  86.9 KB

The coolest about it was the dual-range manual transmission. 4-speed manual with driver-selectable high & low ranges. Seemed an awfully strange feature in a wee econo-box.

My brother-in-law had one as well (Plymouth version, I think) - might have even been his first used car. He's full of stories about the crazy fun he had with it before he ultimately blew up the engine through sheer abuse and neglect!

Name:  CC-70-071-800.jpg
Views: 1142
Size:  50.3 KB

Now I wish more cars had that type of transmission! Then we could have our cake (power mode) and eat it too (low RPM highway economy mode).

Here's a good article about these long lost cars: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/200...lymouth-champ/

The only other Mirage I drove was a mid-90's Mitsu Mirage, like this one:

I went to a dealer to test drive one out of sheer curiosity. I wasn't actually looking to buy, just wanted to see what it was like.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I like the subject of this thread Darin. Probably because I like old Japaneses cars from the 70's and 80's. My only recollection of a friend who had one was Ken Mashall, who raced his Colt on the frozen lakes of upstate NY with that twin stick transmission.

Hi Mike - good to see you here!

I didn't realize the twin shifter made it into that later body style. It makes me wonder just how suited the taller range was to low-RPM cruising.

The manual gear ratios of the new car are of course quite short (~3k RPM @ 60 mph). Automakers seem determined to give us a top gear that you won't have to switch out of except for the steepest mountains!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Owned a 1991 Dodge Colt similar to this one...Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1078
Size:  30.2 KB

It was newer and sleaker than my Dodge Omni was, and it was fun to drive on dirt roads

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 44.3 mpg (US) ... 18.8 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp)

I loved that body style.

Only available as a Dodge here.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    I had a twin-stick Colt. Used to be all the rage amongst my friends to drive it as an 8 speed. Had a lot of fun in that car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage LS 1.2 manual: 40.0 mpg (US) ... 17.0 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 48.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mom had a light blue dodge colt. Maybe a 1982-83 ? Great little car. I really beat the hell out of it when she let me take it. Sorry Mom !

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    We had the twin stick . I think it was a '81 that was tan and had a roof rack . The engine was the 1.6 . Picked it up for $150 and drove it until 160,000+ miles . One of my all time favorite cars . The Power mode did wonders for climbing hills and going through deep snow . Had 4 studded Cooper Weather Master tires for winter . Was easy to do your own tune up , brake work , etc..

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think we had a total of 10 ranging from '80 > '92 . 2 were automatics with the 1.4 , both from '80 .

Country
    United States
    Thanks

I still have one - 1981 Colt

Quote Originally Posted by cinder View Post
    I think we had a total of 10 ranging from '80 > '92 . 2 were automatics with the 1.4 , both from '80 .

1.4L 4 speed. Still runs great, with about 70k miles on it.