Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Video/pics: New Mirage MIVEC continuously variable valve control mechanism

Country
    Netherlands
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    mmm so they added a electric motor to every cylinder of the ICE?
    what if that motor fails? wil the ice stop working or wil it just work less efficient?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    There is one little motor that rotates the swing camshaft back and forth. If it fails, you loose some power and efficiency, but the engine continues to work. I'm sure this would also light up the check engine light so you would know something is wrong.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah JT View Post
    So would that mean it doesn't have that sound when it hits a certain RPM?
    Since tje Mirage's new MIVEC approach is continuously variable, I don't think you'll find any "sudden" changes in engine note/character as engine speed increases. Not like there is in some 2-stage versions of Honda's VTEC.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Since this MIVEC approach is continuously variable, I don't think you'll find any "sudden" changes in engine note/character as engine speed increases. Not like there is in some 2-stage versions of Honda's VTEC.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!
    Is there any way I could achieve the sound change like vtec?
    I know that the MIVEC in the Lancer has it, was hoping the mirage would.

Thanks for the welcome

Some older versions of MIVEC used the "cam profile swap" approach, and the Lancer probably had that.

The only easy way I can think of causing the engine to make a "sudden" change in sound at a certain RPM would be to install a variable flow muffler/tailpipe. Then set it up to open the valve at a certain engine speed.

Name:  rx4402.jpg
Views: 2757
Size:  34.1 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Is CVVT already implemented in the current versions of Mirage or we still have the older version of MIVEC. What happened to the oil pressure control solenoid valve/switch that actuates valve timing changes, replaced by the 'electric motor', this causes me to think about its long term reliability.

In the old MIVEC systems the main objective is power improvement at low and higher engine speeds, the main variable for valve timing change is engine speed, it is on at about 3,500 to 4,500 rpm and off at lower speed. In the new system the aim is power, fuel economy, emission control, and long term reliability?

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    In the Mirage Brochure, there is no mention of CVVT nor valve lift changes, only variable valve timing. CVVT is implemented starting 4B1xx Mitsubishi engine series in 2007, 3A9xx engines were launched in 2003. Can it be that we still have the older MIVEC system?

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    In the Mirage Brochure, there is no mention of CVVT nor valve lift changes, only variable valve timing. CVVT is implemented starting 4B1xx Mitsubishi engine series in 2007, 3A9xx engines were launched in 2003. Can it be that we still have the older MIVEC system?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Seems like another approach to the Fiat Multiair engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td9Gz_h7Qpg

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerami View Post
    hi gerami,
    i do wish we have older mivec system.... since older mivec such as in 4G92 and 4G63T use camphasing which able to retard and advance the phase of the cam, and also use camswapping to control the valve lift opening and also the duration when the valve open.

newer mivec such as in 4B11 only use camphasing system, but its equipped on intake and exhaust side camshaft. so its similar to toyota dual vvti , ford TI-VCT,BMW Bi-Vanos,honda VTC or its close relative a kia Theta engine CVVT which based on same gema project.

camswapping or variable valve lift and duration in other brand usually called with difference name, such as toyota valvematic,BMW valvetronic and honda VTEC. usually equipped in high-end line up engine

except for sohc variant. since sohc can't use a camphasing method(only had one cam on each bank) and must stick with a camswapping system
    newer mitsubishi sohc engine, such as a 6B31 still equipped with camswapping system.

in mitsubishi it is create some confusion, because they doesn't call variable valve lift with difference name like other brand.... they simply called mivec no matter it is actually a camphasing system or a camswapping system or even both....

then i found this brochure

well i can't read thai, but the pictures tell us that 3A92 only use a camphasing system at intake cam only, and no variable valve lift or low-high cam profile.

is there anyone who able to read thai could clarify this?

cmiiw
    thanks